Albatross Awake

18 January 2019
29 April 2017
28 July 2016 | Vuda Point, Figi
26 March 2016
23 July 2014
23 July 2014
21 July 2014
21 July 2014 | Hualtuco
10 April 2014 | Huatulco, Mexico
18 March 2014
28 October 2013 | Petaluma, Calif.

Hualtuco Mexico to Galapagos

21 July 2014 | Hualtuco
Brian Bouch Very Sunny
Albatross across the Pacific


Mexico
Kym and Brian arrived in Huatulco Mexico on the Oaxacan coast on April 3rd and happily boarded Albatross at her dock. Checking in with Pedro and Enrique, brothers who caretook the boat while we were away, beginning provisioning and stowing gear took up most of our time. Charlie and Ella, our crew from the Bay area who signed on for the crossing, arrived next day and Kym’s brother Wes a bit later. Charlie and Ella brought the new Jordan Series drogue and storm jib, Wes brought parts of the new windlass, spare water jugs and other miscellanea. Now the prep work began in earnest. We had to remove the 30 year old windlass from the foredeck and custom fit the new Lewmar we brought down with us. Big job: thank you Charlie and Wes! The spinnaker pole was corroded and not functioning well and Ella, hard core racer that she is, took over rehabbing it. Many trips to town and, unfortunately on one bike venture, Brian, stupidly not wearing his helmet in the heat, crashed. Oh --just a mild concussion and fractured facial bone, but after hurried phone consultations with an ENT back home, the preparations went on. Self-applied acupuncture and intraoral cranial treatments [coached by Brian's daughter via phone] helped the healing. Then Wes took a spill getting off the boat onto the dock and wound up with a very fat ankle. We learned that shipboard is not a bad place to be with an ankle injury [all the handholds] and healing was quick. Ella did hours of computer work getting us connected via Iridium Sat phone to Sailmail and restoring connectivity for our weather Grib files. More work getting a good purchase for the top down spinnaker furler on the bowsprit, gluing down sections of the Vetus deck which were coming up, sealing the foredeck hatch which was leaking badly, installing stainless rails and boards to the stanchions to lash our on-deck fuel jugs to, and a myriad other small tasks took lots of time. Great boat fixing expertise from Charlie.

Alas when finally ready, a Tehuantepecer was forecast to start blowing. A recurrent phenomenon where the isthmus of southeastern Mexico is it’s narrowest allows periodic winds sweeping southwesterly over the Sierra to accelerate to 70 mph at times. The blow can last for several days and build up a nasty steep short sea within miles from the coast. Thus conventional wisdom is to hug the coast even though it adds miles to the transit across the gulf. Although we’d be on the western edge of it the prospect of forecasted 35-40 kt winds and 15-20 ft seas on our first few days cooled our enthusiasm a bit and we waited it out giving us more time to provision and store. Let’s see: Kym says we need 120 eggs, 160 potatoes, 100 onions, 80 heads of garlic, 10 bags of blue corn masa for tortillas---etc…(thank you Pardys for your book on provisioning for long passes )wow, major provisioning for a guestimated 21-24 days at sea once we would leave the Galapagos.

So Mexico: altogether 8 days on the dock, 2 injuries, lots of repairs and installations, many pounds of food--- boy were we ready to go.

Comments
Vessel Name: Albatross
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Petaluma, CA
Crew: Brian Bouch, Kym
About: Adventuring spaces in this world...connecting to what comes before us...
Extra:
Plan A Hualtaco Mexico to Galapagos Islands first leg. 1,200 miles Cpt. BB is hoping for a nine day sail. A week of exploring some islands and natural habitat there and off to the Marquesas Islands landing at Hiva Hoa. 3000 miles. Once again the ever optimistic Cpt. Bouch predicts a 24 day [...]
Albatross's Photos - Main
What cannot know from the outside what is contained within...
199 Photos
Created 18 January 2019
Landing in Savu Savu, connecting there with village people, & Sea Mercy. Moving on to Taveuni with water filters and connecting with cheif. Having Kava ceremony with cheif and Alex(peace core worker). Village time with family. And Much more...
1 Photo
Created 29 April 2017
Just a taste of somethings we have been doing. Internet is sketchy at best in most places....update will be coming that is more complete....thanks for checking in with us....
28 Photos
Created 10 June 2016
1 Photo
Created 8 June 2016
Fatu Hiva, Hiva Hoa, Ua Pou, Niku Hiva.
22 Photos
Created 24 July 2014
Fatu Hiva, Hiva Hoa, Ua Pou, Niku Hiva(Taipivai, Anaho Bay, Paeke Site, Hatiheu, Taiohae)
42 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
6 Photos
Created 10 April 2014
Whales down Baja Coast, The Surfers, Beach Yoga
10 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
17 Photos
Created 18 December 2013