Albatross Awake

18 January 2019
29 April 2017
28 July 2016 | Vuda Point, Figi
26 March 2016
23 July 2014
23 July 2014
21 July 2014
21 July 2014 | Hualtuco
10 April 2014 | Huatulco, Mexico
18 March 2014
28 October 2013 | Petaluma, Calif.

The road home

23 July 2014
Brian Bouch
Flying home
All too soon we locked Albatross up for the last time for the next several months and made our way to shore. On the taxi ride over the island to the airport, we experienced 3 distinctly different climate zones as well as some-mind blowing views. From the harbor with its maritime humidity and lush foliage, we ascended to a volcanic rim, sparser vegetation but still green and drier, then into the volcanic plain [crater], again lush but dry. And finally descending again to sea level on the northwest and thus driest part of the island, arid, hot and scrubby ruled.

The flight to Papeete, with a stopover in Hiva Oa, took 4 hours. Very comfortable jet and stunning aerial view of the islands with their volcanic craters, valleys and spires, then the vast expanse of the Pacific again. In Papeete we opted for a motel close to the airport for 2 nights before returning to the U.S. Papeete was shocking in in its delivery of the best food on the planet. With more city than we had experienced during our trip we still found the people friendly and colorful. A visit to the Grand Marche downtown offered one more chance to shop before out flight home. (a work in progress the concept of home after you have been out at sea for 17days and on boat for 2 months). At last, on June 4 we boarded Air France’s Boing 777 for LAX which gave us the kind of airline service you used to get(minus the tech. perks)in the old days. So refreshing and filling. Two meals,complementary wine with meals, friendly helpful flight attendants, delicious [really] food, unlimited good coffee and individual TV monitors on seatbacks with a choice of about 70 movies. Nice welcome home.
Comments
Vessel Name: Albatross
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Petaluma, CA
Crew: Brian Bouch, Kym
About: Adventuring spaces in this world...connecting to what comes before us...
Extra:
Plan A Hualtaco Mexico to Galapagos Islands first leg. 1,200 miles Cpt. BB is hoping for a nine day sail. A week of exploring some islands and natural habitat there and off to the Marquesas Islands landing at Hiva Hoa. 3000 miles. Once again the ever optimistic Cpt. Bouch predicts a 24 day [...]
Albatross's Photos - Main
What cannot know from the outside what is contained within...
199 Photos
Created 18 January 2019
Landing in Savu Savu, connecting there with village people, & Sea Mercy. Moving on to Taveuni with water filters and connecting with cheif. Having Kava ceremony with cheif and Alex(peace core worker). Village time with family. And Much more...
1 Photo
Created 29 April 2017
Just a taste of somethings we have been doing. Internet is sketchy at best in most places....update will be coming that is more complete....thanks for checking in with us....
28 Photos
Created 10 June 2016
1 Photo
Created 8 June 2016
Fatu Hiva, Hiva Hoa, Ua Pou, Niku Hiva.
22 Photos
Created 24 July 2014
Fatu Hiva, Hiva Hoa, Ua Pou, Niku Hiva(Taipivai, Anaho Bay, Paeke Site, Hatiheu, Taiohae)
42 Photos
Created 27 June 2014
6 Photos
Created 10 April 2014
Whales down Baja Coast, The Surfers, Beach Yoga
10 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
17 Photos
Created 18 December 2013