Just 2 Outrageous

Its How We Roll

21 March 2023 | Jimento Cays and Ragged Island
05 February 2023 | Salt Pond, Thompson Bay, Long Island
14 January 2023 | Lee Stocking Island..Research Center
24 December 2022 | Great Harbour Cay....Bahamas
20 December 2022 | Lake Sylvia, Florida
10 December 2022 | Peck Lake
22 November 2022 | Fernandina
13 November 2022
09 March 2020
03 February 2020 | George Town Bahamas
23 January 2020 | Lee Stocking Island
09 January 2020 | Staniel Cay
20 December 2019 | Lake Sylvie Ft Lauderdale
05 December 2019 | Vero Beach
16 November 2019
13 November 2019 | Pipeline Creek
13 October 2019 | CANADA

Hunkered down in Georgetown

12 January 2017
We arrived in Georgetown on January 6 at 14:30 and anchored in Kidd's cove just in front of town. We made a run into town for fuel and dropped into the grocery store for some fresh produce. The shelves were almost empty. I did manage to purchase some lettuce, celery, a small cabbage, bananas, and a couple of lemons, but that was it. The staff indicated there would be no more produce until Monday Jan 9 when the supply boat was to arrive. Oh well, it's not like we were going to starve but it really is nice to have some fresh stuff to provide a crunch factor.
The next morning Paul made a couple more trips into town with our water jugs so we could fill up our water tanks. Paul, Charlie and I had a burger and a couple of Kalik's for lunch then went back to move the boats over to the Sanddollar Beach anchorage to get set for the weather event that was scheduled to arrive in the early morning hours of Jan 8. It was hard to imagine anything significant was going to happen because the water was like glass all night. Then at 05:30 there was a gentle shift in wind direction, a thunderstorm with heavy rain then around 08:30 the wind increased steadily to 35 knots and pretty much stayed between 25 and 35 all day and all night. And the blow continued for another days!
Other than one small venture into the beach at sanddollar to search for my silver palm leaves and to let Edwin and Martha test drive our 9.9 outboard we didn't leave the boat! Paul and Charlie made one trip across the harbour in the dinghy to order our new 15 hp outboard motor! It should arrive within two days that is if the supply boats are running. For anyone who thought about coming to the Bahamas for a visit be very glad you didn't pick this particular two weeks. So what's it like being stuck on the boat? Well, we find it is sort of like a long ocean passage. You can't get off the boat and you never really get a solid sleep. Instead of shifts at the helm you are on anchor watch. At least for the first few days then you relax a little because the anchor is probably almost in China by that point.
You try to do some boat projects but the constant motion of the boat swinging on the anchor makes most of those uncomfortable. Paul was able to work on our cockpit back enclosure and I was amazed he could. He set up the sewing machine inside the main cabin and went to work. I couldn't spend more than short periods inside the boat. I pretty much set myself up in the cockpit in the fresh air. I was even sleeping up there during the first 3 nights.

to be continued.....

Paul made a few torturous trips across the harbour to Georgetown. The trip , once to pick up our new outboard motor and the other times to get some more water in our jugs. When he did make these trips I would usually get him pop into the grocery to see if he could get eggs and some fresh produce. The first time he came back empty handed except for a small container of ice cream. What the heck? Well, he told me there were no eggs and that ice cream did in fact have eggs in it! Hmmmm. The supply boat did finally arrive and the next grocery run was much more successful. Although the ice cream was a nice treat.
By day 4 of the big blow we were feeling comfortable enough to leave the boat for longer periods and head to shore for a walk on the beach or to find a happy hour where we could enjoy a cold Kalik and a chat with some other cruisers.
A pod of dolphins, including a mother and her calf, were regular visitors to our anchorage. The arrival of the dolphins would be announced by our neighbor’s dog Gizmo the Jack Russell Terrier, who could be found barking enthusiastically as they swam by his boat. I think the dolphins actually liked the dog because they kept coming back and swimming near the boat. It was the same thing with some sea turtles who would surface at the back of the boat with Gizmo going crazy. One afternoon the dolphins remained in the anchorage for and extended period. Paul jumped in to swim with them and could see them but not all that clearly. The normally clear water is a bit murky. Probably from being churned up by wind and waves for 10 days straight!!
On Sunday evening, Paul and I headed for the St. Francis Resort to play trivia. We didn’t win but did have a great time with lots of laughs. Jan 16 was Charlie’s birthday so we celebrated a little on board 2 Outrageous with some chilli and a jam session with neighbouring boat Kahina. Some great tunes!
Finally! The wind is forecasted to moderate over the next day or so. Woot woot! We should have five days of settled weather before there is another blow but this time it will be from the west. Not sure what we are going to do for that one but we are going to be on the move tomorrow and enjoy a change of scenery even if it is only for a few days before we have to hunker down again.
I can say for certain that this past 10 day stretch was the longest period of time we have ever spent on a boat without changing locations. I think our previous record was 6 days.
Comments
Vessel Name: 2 Outrageous
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42mkii 1996
Hailing Port: Kingston Ontario -- Loyalist Cove Marina - Arnprior
Crew: Paul and Laurie
About: Just a couple of pirates
Extra: - We live in Arnprior Ontario Canada in the Ottawa Valley, often found hanging out in Bath or Kingston. Possibly coming to a driveway near you.
Home Page: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmaps.findmespot.com%2Fs%2F6585%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR05DoPHdzcpSiQMpCN0QbmoCpI6nDpcntlVI--JFxbLF_xmnT-7U_gJY6c&h=AT1zZX0oH4OOYqrtNx95pxPKRBhVdadigrRlzNntTJa_Xuf2F7iJ2jxU8fdDwoHnkJH9P7MGHggVuaToa4T_dDjsELPU0H6-0RbzS_tz
Social:
2 Outrageous's Photos - Main
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2022
14 Photos
Created 22 November 2022
2 Photos
Created 13 November 2019
47 Photos
Created 10 February 2019
19 Photos
Created 24 September 2018
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2017
52 Photos
Created 12 January 2017
13 Photos
Created 12 December 2016
40 Photos
Created 7 November 2016
55 Photos
Created 7 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 April 2016
95 Photos
Created 30 March 2016
49 Photos
Created 5 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 29 January 2016
charleston to beaufort
15 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
10 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
62 Photos
Created 13 November 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2015
Cape Henlopen to Norfolk
31 Photos
Created 2 October 2015
A day of 25 knots
4 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
16 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
9 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
Turning south and rollin down the Hudson, tides, still freshwater. On to Catskill to step the mast.
13 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
31 Photos
Created 30 August 2015

All Aboat us

Who: Paul and Laurie
Port: Kingston Ontario -- Loyalist Cove Marina - Arnprior

Where we have Been....

Twenty Years From Now You Will Be More Disappointed By The Things You Didn't Do Than By The Ones You Did Do.
website counter