Just 2 Outrageous

Its How We Roll

21 March 2023 | Jimento Cays and Ragged Island
05 February 2023 | Salt Pond, Thompson Bay, Long Island
14 January 2023 | Lee Stocking Island..Research Center
24 December 2022 | Great Harbour Cay....Bahamas
20 December 2022 | Lake Sylvia, Florida
10 December 2022 | Peck Lake
22 November 2022 | Fernandina
13 November 2022
09 March 2020
03 February 2020 | George Town Bahamas
23 January 2020 | Lee Stocking Island
09 January 2020 | Staniel Cay
20 December 2019 | Lake Sylvie Ft Lauderdale
05 December 2019 | Vero Beach
16 November 2019
13 November 2019 | Pipeline Creek
13 October 2019 | CANADA

Jumentos - Round three and the route less travelled

22 February 2017
23 41.91 'N:76 02.26'W
On Feb 17/17, we departed Georgetown with Oopsea via the Conch Cay cut. This route would allow more time in the deep water for fishing. We didn’t catch any fish that day but Oopsea caught a nice Amberjack which they shared with us for dinner that night. We had not tasted that fish before. It was delicious!
We arrived at the Hog Cay Cut at high tide and passed through with no issues. By mid afternoon the water was oil slick calm.
We arrived at the Water Cay just at sunset and anchored in the south anchorage. There was some swell but not too uncomfortable.
The next morning we headed to shore and did some exploring on the Limestone beach. We waited until 10AM then did some snorkelling and hunting for a couple of hours. Paul got a nice size hog snapper, a grouper and a jack. The hog snapper is a crazy looking fish that reminds me of a jester. We had a late lunch then hauled up the anchors and headed for Flamingo Cay.
We found New Horizons in the anchorage and invited them to join us for sundowners. Stewart and Karen have a boat they keep at Loyalist Cove in Bath, Ontario as well as New Horizons which stays in Florida during the summer months.
Tom and Cindy stayed for dinner and helped us eat the grouper while we made some plans for the next day.
Sunday Feb 19 was spent enjoying all that Flamingo Cay has to offer. In the morning we hiked the south beach hill to the light lookout for a beautiful view of the anchorage and Cays to the south. We hiked across the island to the North Beach then headed back to the boats for a quick lunch. We spent the afternoon snorkelling and hunting. We found a large sting ray sleeping on the bottom and could get very close to him for some pictures. This trip added some lobster, conch and grouper to the ship’s stores.
We found a reef near the anchorage to explore in the late afternoon. It looked like a sunken boat. There were a lot of reef fish around it and I would have liked to explore it a little further but was tired and getting chilly. Paul shot what he thought was a small flat fish but turned out to be a small stingray which managed to exact some revenge while Paul was releasing him. The ray stung him on the finger which Paul reports to be much less painful than the lionfish sting.
Monday morning we were up for Chris Parker’s 06:30 weather forecast and found lots of confusion and uncertainty with the approaching front. We decided the best thing to do was to head north again. But instead of taking the usual route through the Hog Cay Cut up to Georgetown we opted to run up the route less travelled along the backside of Great Exuma to Barraterre. Like for the Jumentos and Ragged Islands, reading the cruising guides does not offer much info about this area other than to say it is very shallow and should only be attempted by boats drawing up to 5 feet. Well we draw 5 feet so what the heck! We hauled up the anchors and pounded 40 miles north with the wind pretty much on the nose to Coakely Cay. It was a long day but arrived at a really nice anchorage that I expect not many boats visit. We spent the next morning snorkelling and hunting the rocky walls surrounding the anchorage and found many lobster. I would have to say this spot had the largest amount of lobsters we’ve seen but they were smaller than other areas. The water was not as clear as we had come to enjoy in the Jumentos but there were lots of interesting fish along the reefs. We hauled up the anchors just after noon and motor-sailed the 23 miles to Barraterre. We had timed the approach to arrive at high tide. We anchored just east of the Government docks with Oopsea and settled in for the next big weather event which would arrive the next day. We were anchored in a depth more shallow than we would have liked but nicely protected from the wind and the bottom was soft sand and mud so shouldn’t pose much of a problem. We joined Tom and Cindy for dinner at the fisherman’s inn for some turtle steak and chicken wings.
Comments
Vessel Name: 2 Outrageous
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42mkii 1996
Hailing Port: Kingston Ontario -- Loyalist Cove Marina - Arnprior
Crew: Paul and Laurie
About: Just a couple of pirates
Extra: - We live in Arnprior Ontario Canada in the Ottawa Valley, often found hanging out in Bath or Kingston. Possibly coming to a driveway near you.
Home Page: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmaps.findmespot.com%2Fs%2F6585%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR05DoPHdzcpSiQMpCN0QbmoCpI6nDpcntlVI--JFxbLF_xmnT-7U_gJY6c&h=AT1zZX0oH4OOYqrtNx95pxPKRBhVdadigrRlzNntTJa_Xuf2F7iJ2jxU8fdDwoHnkJH9P7MGHggVuaToa4T_dDjsELPU0H6-0RbzS_tz
Social:
2 Outrageous's Photos - Main
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2022
14 Photos
Created 22 November 2022
2 Photos
Created 13 November 2019
47 Photos
Created 10 February 2019
19 Photos
Created 24 September 2018
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2017
52 Photos
Created 12 January 2017
13 Photos
Created 12 December 2016
40 Photos
Created 7 November 2016
55 Photos
Created 7 May 2016
19 Photos
Created 15 April 2016
95 Photos
Created 30 March 2016
49 Photos
Created 5 February 2016
17 Photos
Created 29 January 2016
charleston to beaufort
15 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
10 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
62 Photos
Created 13 November 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 November 2015
Cape Henlopen to Norfolk
31 Photos
Created 2 October 2015
A day of 25 knots
4 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
16 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
9 Photos
Created 12 September 2015
Turning south and rollin down the Hudson, tides, still freshwater. On to Catskill to step the mast.
13 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
31 Photos
Created 30 August 2015

All Aboat us

Who: Paul and Laurie
Port: Kingston Ontario -- Loyalist Cove Marina - Arnprior

Where we have Been....

Twenty Years From Now You Will Be More Disappointed By The Things You Didn't Do Than By The Ones You Did Do.
website counter