Gone Sailing

S/V Abigail Grace

Gone Sailing / Abigail Grace

Ice - Again
Up and ready to go early, as per the bridge tenders instructions (by 6:00) as they are "still" doing work on the bridge and are limiting their openings. But, weren't we surprised to see we were iced in (again). A thin layer, but ice and we couldn't leave. Delivery Captain Kaitlyn (delivering sv Easy Breeze) called the bridge tender to make him aware of our situation. We were to notify him once the ice melted. Luck was on our side, just as the ice was gone a tug pushing a large barge was headed for the bridge. SV's Easy Breeze and Abigail Grace motored out and got in-line behind the tug and barge and passed through the swing bridge - we weren't taking any chances of not getting through. Once on the other side of the bridge Easy Breeze passed the tug and barge motoring out-of-sight. We remained behind the tug and barge most of the day (about a mile). As the afternoon approached the sun warmed us up inside the enclosure (to 80*) and it felt good to feel warm. Most of this part of the ICW (Alligator Pongo Canal) is narrow and lined with stumps. After transiting through the canal we stopped at the Dowry Creek Marina in Belhaven for the night (same place Ken and Burt stopped). The Marina was closed when we called but the owner Neil offered us a spot at the fuel dock. Just as we were tying off we saw Jim (mv Emerald Isle) in the sound on his way to the downtown area of Belhaven for the night. Later Mike (employee of the marina and lives a few doors always) stopped and checked us in. The day ended with a quick ride into town (courtesy car that made a god awful noise), showers, laundry, a beautiful sunset.

Comments