Sailing in Abundance - Live Your Dream

The mark of a great shiphandler is never getting into situations that require great shiphandling. Admiral Ernest King, USN"

03 December 2017 | Tampa Bay Channel
02 December 2017 | Saint Petersburg, Florida
20 October 2017 | Salt Creek Boatyard and Marina
05 October 2016 | Maximo Marina
27 August 2016 | Maximo Moorings
24 August 2016
01 April 2016 | New Smyrna Beach, FL
16 March 2016 | Oasis Boat Yard
21 November 2015 | Oasis Boat Yard
28 September 2015 | Myrtle Beach Yacht Club in Little River, SC
14 June 2015
16 May 2015 | Staniel Cay
02 May 2015 | Harbour Island, Eleuthera in the Bahamas
30 April 2015 | Harbour Island, Bahamas
17 April 2015
13 April 2015 | Bimini, Bahamas
06 April 2015 | Key West, FL

6 weeks on the boat!

25 May 2012 | Florida
Yvonne
I have this orange rubber hammer that I beat on the anchor chain to free it from the jaws of the windlass. Yesterday I bruised my wrist, scaped my knuckles on the deck and "purpled" my thumb when I mistakenly put my knee on the control pad for the windlass which brings the anchor up at the same time I was trying to put it down! I then fell backward to get myself free of it. Because of my stupidity with injured pride, I had to hear David semi yell at me about safety for a brief time until he lovingly asked "Are you OK?"
Let me tell you that this first month of living on a cruising boat has been a huge learning curve that I feel "I'll have to walk the bike across" at times. Other than the intricate steps to deploy and raise the anchor, I've had instructions on various other procedures such as how to hold the bow of the boat into the wind (while he messes with the anchor). I got the steps to turn on/off the generator that we run 2-3 times a day to cool the refrigerator/freezer and operate that darn electric (yes I said electric) stove. Besides the generator there is a 3 foot AC/DC control panel with about 35 switches that I'm still trying to remember the difference between. I am the fender and line girl that has to dress the boat up when we come into a marina to pumpout because we really don't know what side we are going to dock to and then I hurl lines at some person on the dock. In Lake Mead when you see 30 feet of water, it's time to put on the proverbial brakes; well out here we don't get off 1700 rpm until we get below 7 feet in the intracoastal waterway. Thank God for those Power squadron classes on charting and radio usage. I'm having to read the chart plotter, radar, depth gauge and speed while weaving my way through the green and red markers after considering the tides and current while asking for a bridge opening! (I used to think multitasking was driving, talking on phone, eating and writing down an address at the same time).
Yet I'm loving this extended vacation that I've been on since the middle of April. Very steep learning curve but I believe new learning staves off Alzheimer's. There has only been one time in 6 weeks that I had to separate myself from David in the V-berth and "pray" (no, really that is what I did) for an attitude adjustment. Time and prayers help a lot of things, attitudes included. Last night I laid in bed and laughed until I cried thinking about how I must have looked to David out there on the bow of the boat fighting with that windlass. Just imagine it and laugh with me and not at me! (Better yet, pray for me).

Yvonne on S/V Abundance
Comments
Vessel Name: Abundance
Vessel Make/Model: 50' Custom Center Cockpit Cutter
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: David and Yvonne Hoch
About: David retired from Clark County on 11/11/11 and Yvonne is an Occupational Therapist who will be working as a travelling OT over the next few years to help keep the cruising kitty pumped up.
Extra: We have been doing improvements to Abundance to make her more comfortable and safe for worldwide voyaging. We will leave Saint Petersburg, FL on March 4, 2016 headed for the South Pacific
Abundance's Photos - Main
Leave St. Pete, Arrive in Roatan
2 Photos
Created 17 December 2017
We hauled the boat on October 20th, 2017 to install a thruster. We were on the hard for three weeks and installed a Vetus BOW16024D. Very nice!
23 Photos
Created 14 November 2017
Local activities in St. Pete and elsewhere while working on the boat and working full-time jobs
30 Photos
Created 16 May 2017
Arrived April and left in March of 2017
61 Photos
Created 5 October 2016
Left Saint Augustine 3/19/16 for Saint Petersburg
7 Photos
Created 1 April 2016
On the Hard at Oasis Boat Yard from Thanksgiving 2015 to Easter 2016 - Bottom Job, topsides paint and more
2 Photos
Created 1 April 2016
95 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
Abundance begins her cruising life with eager crew, David and Yvonne. We left St. Petersburg, FL on April 4, 2015 and went to Longboat Key to celebrate Easter and our starting the journey on Monday, April 6th.
47 Photos
Created 29 April 2015
Victor and Robin joined us for a week of marina-hopping along the west coast of Florida
40 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
We hauled the boat for many improvements including a bottom job, bow thruster, keel coolers, fish finder, rudder repair and pressure wash decks.
69 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
We removed the Grunert AC450 holdover plate system and installed two Danfoss compressor-based systems with evaporator plates.
7 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
We covered the existing cabin sole with NuTeak, a two-month project
20 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
May 3-10, 2012
9 Photos
Created 10 May 2012
44 Hour Passage with some great sailing
19 Photos
Created 23 December 2011
First port of call - Gardner's Marina then Golden Nugget
15 Photos
Created 23 December 2011
Sailing (motoring) to Atlantic City, November 25th, 2011
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2011
Photos taken by the Surveyor, Jeff Gonsalves
40 Photos
Created 23 December 2011
11 Photos
Created 5 December 2011