Sailing in Abundance - Live Your Dream

The mark of a great shiphandler is never getting into situations that require great shiphandling. Admiral Ernest King, USN"

03 December 2017 | Tampa Bay Channel
02 December 2017 | Saint Petersburg, Florida
20 October 2017 | Salt Creek Boatyard and Marina
05 October 2016 | Maximo Marina
27 August 2016 | Maximo Moorings
24 August 2016
01 April 2016 | New Smyrna Beach, FL
16 March 2016 | Oasis Boat Yard
21 November 2015 | Oasis Boat Yard
28 September 2015 | Myrtle Beach Yacht Club in Little River, SC
14 June 2015
16 May 2015 | Staniel Cay
02 May 2015 | Harbour Island, Eleuthera in the Bahamas
30 April 2015 | Harbour Island, Bahamas
17 April 2015
13 April 2015 | Bimini, Bahamas
06 April 2015 | Key West, FL

Improvements Abound

18 October 2012 | Harborage Marina in St. Pete, FL
David - Sunny and 72 degrees!
Here it is, the month of October - we have been here just over three months now and we love St. Petersburg. This is a college town, three of them, actually - USF, SPC and Eckerd. Fine restaurants abound and there's no shortage of things to do. The management here at Harborage continue to earn high marks from us as they improve the facility and provide prompt service in a perfect location.

We are a short walk from the lively downtown where there are restaurants and now a market every Saturday morning where you can find fresh produce and eclectic goods of many kinds. No fried ice cream or fried butter at this one. There's a band with dancing too!

We attended the Annapolis boat show the first weekend of October and stayed with my cousin Tom and his lovely wife Paula who live in Severna Park, MD. They were the best hosts we have ever stayed with! They lent us a car and we parked at the Naval Academy and walked into the show where we found many things for Abundance.

We bought a new refrigeration system - a Frigoboat keel-cooled system. Since we have two boxes, I bought two systems which both run on 12 volts DC. The is will allow both boxes to be refrigerators or one can be a freezer and the other a refrigerator. This is the same system the Oyster yachts come with so I figured it was OK.

We bought a new set of ceramic dishes - when you come visit, you'll get to eat meals using them! They are white with a black non-skid silicone ring that is quite nicely done.

We also bought a pair of tank monitors for our waste tanks since none were installed when we bought Abundance. These use conductivity via sets of rods that are installed through a 1 1/2" size sender unit in the top of the tank. They are powered with 9V batteries so I won't have to run power wires to them.

My wind generator made so much noise when the wind got to 18 knots and above I quit using it. Then I found a set of high-tech carbon fiber blades that are totally quiet - now we have no sound a free power.

I bought a leather wheel cover that I will stitch in place once it arrives. It will make the wheel more comfy for our hands in hot, cold and even wet weather when helming - for those two or three minutes when the autopilot is not steering the boat, that is.

I found my dream gas grill as well - made in Australia - by a retired aircraft engineer. It has two burners and a window as well as a rotisserie! It will last us a lifetime. It sits prominently on the stern rail and we have used it once already with amazing success.

We have to haul to boat out of the water soon to install the keel coolers, so I'll get a bottom job done then too. I expect that will be in early November.

Our good friend Sherri Parris from Las Vegas is here too and has found a job as a Realtor, managing rental properties - she helps us with the dogs and watches the boat when we are away. She rented a beautiful condo with a view of the water just north of Tierra Verde, a posh island near here.

Our friends Kent Lindow and Rita Manley are here for the winter - we met them in the Power Squadron classes back in Vegas. They have a place on Tierra Verde and we will get together with them soon.

Bob Hogan and Jame Imboden, also from Vegas are living in Land O Lakes, about an hour from here. They introduced us to Mike and Jackie who are now our friends. The four of them will be here this Sunday for a cruise and and meal aboard.

Our good friend Linda Heatwole is coming here in February for a week and Will and Janet Cates are coming out in December. Jim and Judy Jones will be coming here too! I don't know when I'll get any more boat projects done.

I keep working daily on boat projects and tasks, getting her in shape for when we cruise offshore. I went to my 40 year high school reunion in Daytona a few weeks ago - had a splendid time. Met a couple who manage a marina right nearby in Pasadena, FL. Another couple are cruisers who live in Guatemala and it sounds like a place we want to head for. My sister forwarded a message from one of her classmates who was visiting Nicaragua and it sounds like a place we want to visit as well.

I have the electrical systems almost done and working well - next big item is a second alternator on the main engine to supplant our 8KW genset. I saw a 220 amp unit at the boat show and may buy it when finances allow. Lots of Boat Units are blowing away! We also are interested in a stern mounted pole called the Solar Stik that holds a pair of solar panels and our wind generator. It will include our dinghy motor lifter too.

I had to replace the Raystar 125 GPS unit since it burned up from bad wiring - and they don't make it any more. I bought a Raystar 130 which uses a newer network protocol (Seatalk ng) which requires that I install a downconverter that isn't available either. Thanks, Raymarine!

I also installed a coffee maker under the cabinet in the galley and it freed a lot of counter top space for us.

My newest project plan is working well for me. I figured out the essence of Project Management: It's the practice of documenting in detail the things you aren't getting done.

We send our best wishes to all our friends and family and encourage all to "Live Your Dreams".

Remember: 1) Ask 2) Believe 3) Receive - that's how the universe rolls.
Comments
Vessel Name: Abundance
Vessel Make/Model: 50' Custom Center Cockpit Cutter
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: David and Yvonne Hoch
About: David retired from Clark County on 11/11/11 and Yvonne is an Occupational Therapist who will be working as a travelling OT over the next few years to help keep the cruising kitty pumped up.
Extra: We have been doing improvements to Abundance to make her more comfortable and safe for worldwide voyaging. We will leave Saint Petersburg, FL on March 4, 2016 headed for the South Pacific
Abundance's Photos - Main
Leave St. Pete, Arrive in Roatan
2 Photos
Created 17 December 2017
We hauled the boat on October 20th, 2017 to install a thruster. We were on the hard for three weeks and installed a Vetus BOW16024D. Very nice!
23 Photos
Created 14 November 2017
Local activities in St. Pete and elsewhere while working on the boat and working full-time jobs
30 Photos
Created 16 May 2017
Arrived April and left in March of 2017
61 Photos
Created 5 October 2016
Left Saint Augustine 3/19/16 for Saint Petersburg
7 Photos
Created 1 April 2016
On the Hard at Oasis Boat Yard from Thanksgiving 2015 to Easter 2016 - Bottom Job, topsides paint and more
2 Photos
Created 1 April 2016
95 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
Abundance begins her cruising life with eager crew, David and Yvonne. We left St. Petersburg, FL on April 4, 2015 and went to Longboat Key to celebrate Easter and our starting the journey on Monday, April 6th.
47 Photos
Created 29 April 2015
Victor and Robin joined us for a week of marina-hopping along the west coast of Florida
40 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
We hauled the boat for many improvements including a bottom job, bow thruster, keel coolers, fish finder, rudder repair and pressure wash decks.
69 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
We removed the Grunert AC450 holdover plate system and installed two Danfoss compressor-based systems with evaporator plates.
7 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
We covered the existing cabin sole with NuTeak, a two-month project
20 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
May 3-10, 2012
9 Photos
Created 10 May 2012
44 Hour Passage with some great sailing
19 Photos
Created 23 December 2011
First port of call - Gardner's Marina then Golden Nugget
15 Photos
Created 23 December 2011
Sailing (motoring) to Atlantic City, November 25th, 2011
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2011
Photos taken by the Surveyor, Jeff Gonsalves
40 Photos
Created 23 December 2011
11 Photos
Created 5 December 2011