Adventures on Allure

02 October 2014 | QCYC
28 August 2014 | Goldenbrook Dr
28 August 2014 | Goldenbrook Dr
28 August 2014 | Goldenbrook Dr
28 August 2014 | Goldenbrook Dr
28 August 2014 | Goldenbrook Dr
28 August 2014 | Goldenbrook Dr
28 August 2014 | Goldenbrook Dr
22 August 2014 | City Docks, Amsterdam, NY
22 August 2014 | City Docks, Amsterdam, NY
22 August 2014 | City Docks, Amsterdam, NY
22 August 2014 | City Dock, Amsterdam, NY
22 August 2014 | City Docks, Amsterdam, NY
22 August 2014 | City Docks, Amsterdam, NY
22 August 2014 | City Docks, Amsterdam, NY
22 August 2014 | City Docks, Amsterdam, NY
22 August 2014 | City Docks, Amsterdam, NY
21 August 2014 | Troy, NY
21 August 2014 | Troy, NY

Back to Miami

10 January 2013 | No Name Harbor
Lighthouse at No Name Harbor
We left the kids and began our meandering journey back to Miami. There was no rush since there was no weather window predicted for a while...time to over-think the challenges to come.
As we headed out of Plantation Key, we did have a bit of what Ken referred to as a ‘close encounter with the bottom’ that provided a moment of excitement (the kind you can do without) as after the bump, we waited to be sure the rudder and prop were functioning properly. We anchored our first night at the north end of Jewfish Creek, just past the marina/resort where we spent New Year’s with the kids.
The next day was sunny and calm and we made our way back to our beloved Boca Chita to be rewarded with a near empty basin. What a different experience from our previous visit. Coming in on a falling tide had me spotting at the bow for shoals but we made it unscathed.
We left reluctantly, because the tide was falling and made way for No Name Harbor. Something that doesn’t happen often, actually happened today. We were able to sail. We were making 6 knots on the headsail alone. The silence was bliss! Mr. Yanmar had a few hours off!
No Name Harbor is a great protected basin. When we arrived there were quite a few boats but I am going to have to get accustomed to close quarters in anchorages. We dropped the dinghy and went to pay the $20.00 per night fee and go for an exploratory walk. There are hiking trails and signed points of interest in the park area surrounding the basin. There is also a small restaurant that came highly recommended. We decided to try it out for dinner. Whole fish were offered up by size: medium, large and extra large. The server indicated that the large size would be an appropriate portion size to share and we ordered along with a couple of Presidente beers. I wish I had brought my camera when the meal arrived. The platter was covered by the fish and garnished in lime wedges. It was yummy and we topped it off by sharing a Key Lime pie. Time is running out on that Florida classic.
We intended to leave for Miami and begin our preparation for the crossing to the Bahamas but the winds were up and the anchorage was pleasant so we opted to stay a second day. We hiked to the historic lighthouse and discovered a beautiful sand beach (all part of the park) where a photo shoot for kids clothing was taking place. Since the winds were brisk, I’m sure the camera men were not happy about the silt in their equipment. Back to the boat to read and rest since I am still trying desperately to shake a nasty cough, sore throat and cold that has gripped me and robbed me of sleep for the last 5 nights.
This morning, the winds are down a tad and we are heading back to Dinner Key on a ball for a night then a dock for the weekend while we undertake the serious business of raising the waterline before heading off.
Comments
Vessel Name: Allure
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Ken & Deanna Owen
About: We are members of Queen City Yacht Club in Toronto. We have been sailing since 2000 and have cruised extensively in Lake Ontario and chartered in the BVI's. We have alway wanted to sail south and now that we are retired, we are living the dream (LOL)!
Extra: We have 3 wonderful daughters Morgan, Natalie & Kendall and an amazing son-in-law Chris and two delightful grand daughters Maddie & Callysta.

Allure's Crew

Who: Ken & Deanna Owen
Port: Toronto