Aisling I

18 July 2016 | Genoa
11 July 2016 | Genoa Italy
04 July 2016 | Genoa
02 July 2016 | Genoa
25 June 2016 | Porto Azzurro Elba
11 April 2016 | Marina di Ragusa
14 January 2016
25 September 2015 | Crotone Italy
18 September 2015 | Erikoussa
10 September 2015 | Preveza
10 September 2015 | Preveza
24 July 2015 | Preveza
13 July 2015 | Vlicho Bay
03 July 2015 | Preveza Greece
21 June 2015

A Visit from Lyn and Kevin and a Tour of Pompeii

06 June 2014 | Porta Roma
Bonnie


The Bay of Naples is a very large bay. It takes us nearly three hours to sail across it, with Mount Vesuvius on our bow, but the move from Cantieri Sud in Pozzuoli to Circolo Nautico in Torre del Greco is well worth the effort. We trade the industrial environment of Cantieri Sud for a dock lined with flowers. We are now much closer to Pompeii and the Amalfi coast, and the facilities of the beautiful yacht club are just a few steps from our bow. The port area is ringed with a series of restaurants and fish shops offering an impressive variety of fresh seafood. There's an attractive town square and a wonderful fresh market. It is exactly the kind of place we love.

The streets around the port are another matter. Run down and grimy, they are surely a horrifying sight to Lyn and Kevin, who arrive the next day after spending a week in manicured Tuscany. I can well imagine their dismay on the afternoon of their arrival, when they become lost driving through the area that Lyn dubs "The War Zone". It takes Rick half an hour to track them down and bring them to the boat, but they take it in stride. After watching the sunset from the yacht club, we spend the evening onboard Aisling, catching up on each other's news, eating pasta and drinking good wine. Rick and Lyn have much to discuss, since their father is in hospital at home. It is reassuring that their brother Rob is in Halifax and brother Al is on the way.





After a late start the next morning, we decide to visit Pompeii. This decision is taken after some discussion about whether we should instead go to Herculaneum, a nearby town that was destroyed in the same eruption that destroyed Pompeii. Herculaneum is smaller but supposedly better preserved, having been covered in mud rather than ash. Our Blue Guide sums it up by saying that "Though Pompeii is the most important and more famous site, those who are pressed for time ...would do well to visit Herculaneum. The whole site can easily be seen in half a day, and you will be spared the nagging fear of having missed something, which is a persistent companion at Pompeii." But wouldn't the nagging regret of having missed the entire site of Pompeii be worse? Rick and I decide to leave the decision to Lyn and Kevin, but I am glad when they choose Pompeii.

With Kevin at the wheel , we make our way through the confusing maze of streets that will take us out of Torre del Greco. A small slip-up costs us 2 euros when we unwittingly go through the same toll booth twice, but from there it is smooth sailing. We arrive at the gate to the ruins shortly before noon.

I won't go into a lot of detail about the history of Pompeii, since I'm sure most people know the basic story. There is some debate about the date of the eruption, the number of people who lived and died in Pompeii, and the manner in which they died. But it seems generally accepted that the population of the city was approximately 20,000 at the time of the eruption of Vesuvius that began on 24 August of 79 AD. The eruption continued over a period of time, raining clouds of ash and tiny fragments of pumice called lapilli down onto the town and surrounding area. It seems that the majority of people did escape to safety, but roughly 2,000 people died from the gases and intense heat generated by the eruption, or by suffocation from the ash and lapilli that eventually buried the town in several meters of ash. One wonders why the 2,000 stayed behind while others left. Perhaps those who spend their lives at the foot of a volcano become complacent about the danger. Currently, 3 million people live in the Vesuvius area, with 600,000 in the most dangerous "red zone", which by the way includes the town of Torre del Greco. (A nice place to visit, but...)

Pompeii lay hidden under ash until it was rediscovered during construction of a canal in the 16th century. Systematic excavation did not begin for another 150 years. This long burial left the town remarkably intact. The scope of the site is far more extensive than I had imagined, with the excavated area covering nearly 50 hectares. We spend over 4 hours exploring the ruins, yet do not see everything. With excavation and restoration work ongoing, many roads lead to dead ends. The streets are a bewildering, poorly marked maze, and I am confused about my whereabouts for a good part of the visit. Luckily, my travelling companions are all good navigators.





The photos below cover just a few highlights:

Here Lyn, Kevin and Rick are standing near the forum granary, which is now used to store various archeological materials.



Some poignant plaster casts taken from indentations made in the ash by victims' bodies are on display here.





As we peer through the grate to look at the artifacts, I overhear a guide telling her clients about a recent theft from the site. A fresco had been stolen and then returned, presumably to make a point about the inadequacy of security. Other items have been stolen and not returned. Underfunding, environmental damage, vandalism and the wear and tear caused by over 2 million visitors a year are also taking their toll. Later, I read that Pompeii's status as a Unesco World Heritage site is threatened due to the degradation of the site. A national disgrace for Italy, some say.

These photos show the proximity of Mt. Vesuvius to Pompeii.





After an hour of wandering the streets, Rick and Lyn seek out a quieter corner to call their brothers while Kevin and I visit the bakery and a few other houses.



Then we sit on a wall, check the guidebook and develop a plan of attack for seeing the remainder of the afternoonn. When Lyn and Rick return, we fortify ourselves with a round of "Magnum" ice cream bars, and then resume our explorations.

At the entrance to the House of the Tragic Poet, we see the famous "Cave Canem" mosaic, a 2000 year old version of today's "beware of the dog" sign. Unfortunately, our only photo, taken through the protective grate, doesn't show the inscription.



We visit the Lupinario (brothel) but I won't display photos of the naughty frescoes in case children are reading this! The House of the Fawn, named for the statue found on the grounds, is one of the most impressive on the site. This statue is a replica. Rick and I later see the original in the archaeological museum in Naples, as well as the Alexander mosaic shown below, which was also found in the house.





It's easy to imagine the people of Pompeii enjoying performances in the Grand Theatre.



The Garden of the Fugitives, with more plaster casts of bodies discovered on the site, is located near a vineyard. These images really drive home the immensity of the disaster.



We think we have almost covered the site, when another tourist tells us that the Villa of the Mysteries is a must-see. To our dismay, we will need to walk another 2 km if we want to see it. We waiver, but then, fearing that we will regret missing it, we decided to go. It is impressive, although this is an unusual situation where the photos seem more impressive than the reality. In real life, I remember the colours being more muted, but it is a good finale to our visit.



It is already 4:45 p.m. when we arrive back at the car. We've walked for miles and had a very full day, but everyone is still keen on taking a drive along the Amalfi coast. Hopefully, we'll find some food along the way. But we'll save that story for tomorrow's blog!
Comments
Vessel Name: Aisling I
Vessel Make/Model: Slocum 43
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS, Canada
Crew: Rick and Bonnie Salsman
About:
Crew from Halifax to Horta: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Dave Morse, Wally Fraser Crew from Horta to Spain: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Al Salsman, Rob Salsman We left Halifax, N.S. in June 2007, sailed to Horta, and explored the Azores for a month. [...]
Extra:
The info below is a copy and paste from some literature about the Slocum 43. Please excuse the platitudes. Although I may like them , they are not truly mine. Aisling I is a 1987 Slocum 43, designed by Stan Huntingford. She has been designed to satisfy the sailor who wants the blue water, "get [...]
Social:
Aisling I's Photos - Aisling I (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
South coast of France looking West from La Ciotat
La bec d
Aisling leaving RNSYS for Europe 2007 -1 (2)
DSCF2584: In St Georges, Bermuda after our first Ocean Passage 2002.....
Memories............. the Beach. From the front door of my parents cottage at Evangeline Beach, Nova Scotia, looking towards Cape Blomidon. The highest tides of the year. 43 feet twice a day. It
P4022273b: The Mary B Brooks
214 Tons. Built 1926 at Plympton, N.S., Canada. LOA 99
 
1
40 Photos
Created 10 July 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 March 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2015
36 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
22 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
16 Photos
Created 29 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 25 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
20 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
During the winter, we babysat Murphy Brown (a lovely poodle that belongs to our friends Wally and Martha) for 10 days. I had some fun capturing her in some of her favourite spots!
8 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
A few photos from our visit to Palermo, Sicily
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
21 Photos
Created 16 July 2011
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
21 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
40 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
34 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
31 Photos
Created 30 October 2009
41 Photos
Created 17 May 2009
Pics of Aisling at anchor, up top and down below.
23 Photos
Created 2 November 2008
22 Photos
Created 19 October 2008
15 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
7 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
6 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
19 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
14 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 14 July 2008
16 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
3 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
15 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
35 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
20 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
11 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
7 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
6 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
15 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 19 March 2008
22 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
8 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
17 Photos
Created 10 September 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
7 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
21 Photos
Created 29 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 24 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 21 July 2007
38 Photos
Created 14 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 14 July 2007