Aisling I

18 July 2016 | Genoa
11 July 2016 | Genoa Italy
04 July 2016 | Genoa
02 July 2016 | Genoa
25 June 2016 | Porto Azzurro Elba
11 April 2016 | Marina di Ragusa
14 January 2016
25 September 2015 | Crotone Italy
18 September 2015 | Erikoussa
10 September 2015 | Preveza
10 September 2015 | Preveza
24 July 2015 | Preveza
13 July 2015 | Vlicho Bay
03 July 2015 | Preveza Greece
21 June 2015

Hanging around at Yacht Marine

11 September 2010 | Yacht Marine Marina, Marmaris, Turkey
Bonnie
This is what I think must have happened. Shortly after my birth, my parents threw a christening party and did not invite the evil fairy. As I lay innocently in my cradle, the evil fairy flew in on a dragonfly and put a curse on my head. "May your caulking never stick to your decks."

Or maybe we just have terribly bad luck with caulking. When we bought Aisling, the decks were in rough shape and the caulking rubbed off on our feet and clothing. After destroying the wardrobes of our entire family and many close friends, we decided that something had to be done. We had the decks sanded and re-caulked and they looked a lot better- but within a year, the caulking was rubbing off again. (Later, we heard that there had been a recall on Sikaflex caulking that year, and if we'd known, we might have been able to get our decks re-done at their expense. But, we didn't know.) Three summers in the blazing Mediterranean sun didn't help matters, and by last summer the full impact of the curse was making itself known. No matter how many times we scrubbed the decks, the black streaks would come back. Black powder permeated our lines and stained our fenders. When we stepped on our dinghy, black footprints would appear. No point in buying white shorts, they'd be ruined within a day. So you can imagine how excited we were about getting this problem fixed. No more black feet!

When we stepped onboard Aisling a week ago, the decks looked wonderful. Even better, our feet remained clean. Unfortunately, on the second day, Rick noticed some tiny gaps between the caulking and the teak boards. The end result was that numerous seams had to be recaulked. For four straight days, we had workmen onboard, reaming out the old caulking, installing the new caulking and finishing up a few other little things that had been forgotten. Then the caulking had to "set" for at least 48 hours before it could be sanded- and the 4 day holiday had started before the requisite 48 hours were up.



So at the moment our beautiful new decks no longer look beautiful (see the sad-looking photo above) and so far, our only sailing has been a ten-minute motor into Marmaris bay when we helped Mike launch his boat Gitana earlier this week.

We'd been really enjoying the company of Mike and his crew. Jim owns a large Spanish language bookstore in Santa Fe, Jim's wife Barbara is a professor of history in Gettysburg and Susan owns a folk-art shop in Santa Fe. They are an engaging and good-humored group and the conversation at the meals we shared in the marina restaurant was lively. Unfortunately, although we didn't know it at the time, our 10-minute cruise into the bay would also be Jim Barbara and Susan's only trip onboard Gitana. After a week of hard work preparing Gitana for the launch, they came up against some boat maintenance issues that caused their already-delayed departure date to be pushed back again. On Tuesday afternoon, Jim climbed aboard Aisling looking crestfallen. "It's all coming down to one little strip of caulking" he said. "It needs to set for 48 hours, and since nothing is happening during the holidays Mike can't leave before Monday". They were out of time. Changing their flights would be costly, and they did not want to forfeit a planned stop in Paris. Instead, they caught a ferry to Rhodes on Thursday and from there will continue by ferry to some Greek islands, and eventually Athens. Mike will wait in Marmaris for his next crew to join him. It was clearly a huge disappointment, but they accepted the situation with good humour. "At least" said Barbara "We'll always have Paris."



We hated to see them go, but hopefully we will be leaving soon ourselves. Onboard Aisling, we are finally (almost) in shipshape. Rick has disassembled, greased and reassembled the two primary winches and the windlass. I have survived my first trip up the mast and threaded a new lazy-jack line. Rick has hunted down a leak that turned out to be the hot-water tank (easily solved, although we may have no hot water for the remainder of this season). The sails are on, the sheets have been run and the stainless steel has been polished. Basically, we are ready to go sailing, but we cannot leave until the deck work is completed and our emergency steering reinstalled. We toyed with the idea of finding an anchorage for the weekend, but we want to be here first thing Monday morning to get the work completed. So, we've decided to stay in the marina and pretend we are having a resort vacation for the next few days. Fortunately, the view from the cockpit is spectacular, the weather is hot and sunny with just a bit of breeze and we have lots of good books onboard. The marina has a lovely pool which also has a very nice view over the bay. If we get tired of our books, we can take the dolmus (bus) to Marmaris for some shopping and exploring. After all, a change is as good as a rest. And a change AND a rest is even better!
Comments
Vessel Name: Aisling I
Vessel Make/Model: Slocum 43
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS, Canada
Crew: Rick and Bonnie Salsman
About:
Crew from Halifax to Horta: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Dave Morse, Wally Fraser Crew from Horta to Spain: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Al Salsman, Rob Salsman We left Halifax, N.S. in June 2007, sailed to Horta, and explored the Azores for a month. [...]
Extra:
The info below is a copy and paste from some literature about the Slocum 43. Please excuse the platitudes. Although I may like them , they are not truly mine. Aisling I is a 1987 Slocum 43, designed by Stan Huntingford. She has been designed to satisfy the sailor who wants the blue water, "get [...]
Social:
Aisling I's Photos - Aisling I (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
South coast of France looking West from La Ciotat
La bec d
Aisling leaving RNSYS for Europe 2007 -1 (2)
DSCF2584: In St Georges, Bermuda after our first Ocean Passage 2002.....
Memories............. the Beach. From the front door of my parents cottage at Evangeline Beach, Nova Scotia, looking towards Cape Blomidon. The highest tides of the year. 43 feet twice a day. It
P4022273b: The Mary B Brooks
214 Tons. Built 1926 at Plympton, N.S., Canada. LOA 99
 
1
40 Photos
Created 10 July 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 March 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2015
36 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
22 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
16 Photos
Created 29 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 25 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
20 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
During the winter, we babysat Murphy Brown (a lovely poodle that belongs to our friends Wally and Martha) for 10 days. I had some fun capturing her in some of her favourite spots!
8 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
A few photos from our visit to Palermo, Sicily
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
21 Photos
Created 16 July 2011
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
21 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
40 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
34 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
31 Photos
Created 30 October 2009
41 Photos
Created 17 May 2009
Pics of Aisling at anchor, up top and down below.
23 Photos
Created 2 November 2008
22 Photos
Created 19 October 2008
15 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
7 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
6 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
19 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
14 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 14 July 2008
16 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
3 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
15 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
35 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
20 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
11 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
7 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
6 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
15 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 19 March 2008
22 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
8 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
17 Photos
Created 10 September 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
7 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
21 Photos
Created 29 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 24 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 21 July 2007
38 Photos
Created 14 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 14 July 2007