Aisling I

18 July 2016 | Genoa
11 July 2016 | Genoa Italy
04 July 2016 | Genoa
02 July 2016 | Genoa
25 June 2016 | Porto Azzurro Elba
11 April 2016 | Marina di Ragusa
14 January 2016
25 September 2015 | Crotone Italy
18 September 2015 | Erikoussa
10 September 2015 | Preveza
10 September 2015 | Preveza
24 July 2015 | Preveza
13 July 2015 | Vlicho Bay
03 July 2015 | Preveza Greece
21 June 2015

The return to Kilada

25 August 2011
Bonnie/Hot and Sunny!
The time we spent in Nova Scotia went by in a flash, with a hugely successful 80th birthday party for my Mom at the centre point. I had worried that Rick might feel at loose ends while we were at home, since the reality of his "retirement" (a word he now occasionally says out loud) hadn't really hit home while we were sailing. Instead, he seemed visibly, expansively happy...humming to himself as he made the coffee each morning, tackling a few odd jobs around the house, planning the next phase of our summer sailing and spending some time with his parents each day. Unfortunately, his mother had a bad fall shortly after we arrived home. Although she was recovering well by the day of our departure, it was hard to say goodbye. Practically speaking, we were ready to leave; mentally, not at all.

Our spirits quickly lifted when we arrived to Kilada's bright sunshine and azure waters on Thursday afternoon. After a multi-stop flight and a three-hour drive from Athens, the bed in the tiny apartment we'd rented from "Madame Zizi" in the village looked pretty tempting, but we knew that taking a nap would only prolong our jet lag. As we sat looking out at the view of the Franchthi caves from our favourite waterfront cafe and watching the sun drop in a fiery ball at the mouth of the harbor, any worries about our lives in Halifax quickly retreated into the distance.

There had been some tiny changes in Kilada since we'd left. Although the same elderly man sat sipping his coffee at the corner table of the café, the kittens scampering underneath the trees at "10 Euro Douglas's" restaurant had become gangly adolescents and the olives on the trees had almost doubled in size. The oleanders were past their prime, with only a few straggling pink blooms remaining. The blade that had been missing from one of the propellers at the wind farm on the mountaintop across the water had been replaced, and we wondered how on earth they had managed to carry the huge blade up the treacherously narrow roads to the summit.

At Douglas's restaurant, the food seemed just a little less delicious than we'd remembered. Perhaps we'd blown it up too much in our minds, or perhaps it was because we had arrived back during the peak holiday week in Greece. Assumption Day (August 15th) has a slightly different theological interpretation in the Orthodox Church, but this day, which marks the passing of the Virgin Mary into the after-life, is celebrated just as enthusiastically here as it is in Italy. Many businesses in Greece shut down entirely during the last two weeks of August. The waiter at Douglas's seemed to be wishing he was on holiday too, because he took our order even more slowly than his usual snail's pace.

After consuming a large array of Douglas's small plates, we were rewarded with the site of a huge meteorite streaking through the sky overhead. It would have been the perfect end to a perfect night if I had not managed to tip my large Director's-style chair over backwards when the legs stuck in the grass as I pushed it back from the table. Once my feet left the ground, I was powerless to stop the momentum. My elbow hit the ground with a resounding thwack and I lay there with my legs in the air, as helpless as one of the loggerhead turtles that swim in Kilada bay. Could there be a more humiliating experience? Over the next few days, my elbow displayed a gruesome and ever-changing array of purple and red hues. The bruises to my pride were less visible, but more painful.

The next morning, we woke early and headed down the road to Lapisa to have breakfast in the restaurant of the "Lapisa Sunrise" hotel. It was a lovely spot and clearly a step up from Madame Zizi's (but we'd stayed there, we would have been 2 km from the boatyard and the price for an apartment would have been double the 40 euros a night we were paying Madame).

After breakfast, we dropped in to see Evangelos in the boatyard office, who advised us to head immediately for Nafplio (a one-hour drive away) to reclaim our cruising permit from the Customs office. In yet another example of the irritatingly officious Greek bureaucracy, we had had to surrender our cruising permit to the Kilada Port Police when the boat was hauled. The Port Police had in turn submitted it to the Customs Office. The Customs office would close at 2 p.m. that afternoon (Friday) and would not open again until Monday morning. "You'd better go now" Evangelos said, "they sometimes close early on Fridays. And before we can launch you, you also need to go back to the Port Police and buy a launching permit." By 2 p.m., we were back at the boatyard with all our paperwork in order.

Back onboard Aisling, we scampered quickly to hose the layers of dust off the decks, replace the speedometer impellor (almost forgot!) and tie on fenders and lines, By 4 p.m. Aisling was floating, even though everything was still in complete disarray below decks. Taking ten deep breaths and trying to ignore the sweat that was trickling down my back, I focused on sorting out our cabin and making up our berth. Meanwhile, since our mechanic Dimitris was on vacation in Crete, Rick checked out the new shaft seal with Dimitris' father, George. Although the new packing box looked great, the motor seemed to have a new vibration at low rpms. "It's not a problem" George insisted, "but you should check the damper plate next time you get hauled". As you might be guessing, there would be another chapter to that story.

That night, we drove back to Lapisa to have dinner at the "tharotaverna" (fish restaurant) on the beach. The waitress at the café had told us (with guilty-looking backward glances over her shoulder) that this was the best place in the area for seafood. Although it didn't seem to be noticeably better than the tharotaverna on the Kilada waterfront, it was an entertaining place to eat, with the patrons calling back and forth to each other among the tables and families arriving on the beach to fish from lawnchairs in the darkness.

We stayed at the Basimicoupolis dock until the next morning. After George had come aboard and completed a final check of the shaft alignment, we headed out to anchor in the bay. Getting away from the dock was easier said than done, with the wind gusting up over 30 knots in the puffs. The boatyard manager Lefteris mimed that we should wait for the lull between gusts before pulling away, looking like a cartoon sketch of the West Wind as he pursed his lips and puffed out his cheeks. "Now! Now! Now! Go fast! Fast!" he shouted, and we charged out at high speed, clearing a powerboat that was tied to starboard of us with only inches to spare. Within minutes, we had our anchor securely set in the mud near the fishing dock.


With a rental car at our disposal for two more days, we had thought we'd have a chance to do a little more sightseeing, but in the end our only excursions were to the Lidl store to buy groceries, to Porto Heli in search of water and to Ermione to return the car. Unfortunately, the grocery shopping wasn't as fruitful as it might have been, due to the fact that our freezer has mysteriously stopped working (which in turn means that we cannot get the fridge to cool down properly without running it for hours on end). We improvised by filling the freezer side with frozen water bottles from the supermarket and all was well, at least temporarily. Saturday night, we had our first meal aboard and watched the comings and goings from the compound on the private island in the bay, which reportedly is owned by the family that operates the "Flying Dolphin" inter-island hydrofoil ferries. Clearly a party was happening, with enough lights ablaze to illuminate a small town and guests being ferried back and forth from the Kilada dock in a constant parade. Late that night, we were treated to a sparkling display of fireworks that appeared magically from the direction of Lapisa.

After two days at anchor, Rick was ready to move on, but I begged for one more day in Kilada. I wanted to have just one more run along the dirt road that runs from the large church in the town to the tiny chapel on the point (a run that, if it were just a tiny bit longer, would be a contender for a Runner's World "Rave Run" designation). When we began our run at 0930, the day was already hot. Two elderly men sitting on a bench in the shade cheered us on in Greek, waving their fists, laughing and looking for all the world like the Statler and Waldorf characters from the Muppett Show. By the time we finished our run, a river of sweat was pouring off me. I waited outside our supermarket of choice, (where the owners by now know us as "the Canadians") while Rick went inside to buy water and ice. When he came back outside, he passed me a fistful of paper towels. "They said I should give you these", he said, "I think they find the idea of a woman running a bit strange". More likely they thought the idea of anyone running in this heat to be a bit strange!

The next morning, we finally motored out of the bay, snapping a few last-minute photos of the church and the island. I felt sad to be leaving, knowing that it was unlikely we would be back. Little did I know we would be back before sunset!

We had chosen Porto Heli as our first stop, since that seemed to offer the best possibility of finding someone to repair the fridge. Unfortunately, on the way to Porto Heli, Rick concluded that the maxprop has been set at the wrong pitch. (This probably also explained the new rattle at idle.) After phone calls to Dimitris in Crete, Bill LeBlanc in Halifax (who during the past four years has kindly provided long-distance advice on several occasions) and Evangelos in the yard, we decided we needed to return to Kilada and haul the boat to re-set the prop. The deal was that, if Rick was correct and the pitch had been set incorrectly, the haul-out would be free. If not...we would have to pay (520 Euros). "Are you sure?" I asked Rick nervously? "I'm sure", he said firmly. So back we went, arriving on time to watch one more Kilada sunset.
Comments
Vessel Name: Aisling I
Vessel Make/Model: Slocum 43
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS, Canada
Crew: Rick and Bonnie Salsman
About:
Crew from Halifax to Horta: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Dave Morse, Wally Fraser Crew from Horta to Spain: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Al Salsman, Rob Salsman We left Halifax, N.S. in June 2007, sailed to Horta, and explored the Azores for a month. [...]
Extra:
The info below is a copy and paste from some literature about the Slocum 43. Please excuse the platitudes. Although I may like them , they are not truly mine. Aisling I is a 1987 Slocum 43, designed by Stan Huntingford. She has been designed to satisfy the sailor who wants the blue water, "get [...]
Social:
Aisling I's Photos - Aisling I (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
South coast of France looking West from La Ciotat
La bec d
Aisling leaving RNSYS for Europe 2007 -1 (2)
DSCF2584: In St Georges, Bermuda after our first Ocean Passage 2002.....
Memories............. the Beach. From the front door of my parents cottage at Evangeline Beach, Nova Scotia, looking towards Cape Blomidon. The highest tides of the year. 43 feet twice a day. It
P4022273b: The Mary B Brooks
214 Tons. Built 1926 at Plympton, N.S., Canada. LOA 99
 
1
40 Photos
Created 10 July 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 March 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2015
36 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
22 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
16 Photos
Created 29 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 25 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
20 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
During the winter, we babysat Murphy Brown (a lovely poodle that belongs to our friends Wally and Martha) for 10 days. I had some fun capturing her in some of her favourite spots!
8 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
A few photos from our visit to Palermo, Sicily
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
21 Photos
Created 16 July 2011
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
21 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
40 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
34 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
31 Photos
Created 30 October 2009
41 Photos
Created 17 May 2009
Pics of Aisling at anchor, up top and down below.
23 Photos
Created 2 November 2008
22 Photos
Created 19 October 2008
15 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
7 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
6 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
19 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
14 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 14 July 2008
16 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
3 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
15 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
35 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
20 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
11 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
7 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
6 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
15 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 19 March 2008
22 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
8 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
17 Photos
Created 10 September 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
7 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
21 Photos
Created 29 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 24 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 21 July 2007
38 Photos
Created 14 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 14 July 2007