Aisling I

18 July 2016 | Genoa
11 July 2016 | Genoa Italy
04 July 2016 | Genoa
02 July 2016 | Genoa
25 June 2016 | Porto Azzurro Elba
11 April 2016 | Marina di Ragusa
14 January 2016
25 September 2015 | Crotone Italy
18 September 2015 | Erikoussa
10 September 2015 | Preveza
10 September 2015 | Preveza
24 July 2015 | Preveza
13 July 2015 | Vlicho Bay
03 July 2015 | Preveza Greece
21 June 2015

Touring Lefkada (a Catch-up Posting)

22 September 2011
Bonnie
Even though we'd spent nearly a month in Lefkada in 2009, we hadn't seen much of the interior of the island. This time, we were determined to get beyond Nidri's tourist strip. But first, the "de rigueur" stop at George's Chandlery where, after weeks of searching, we finally find a replacement for our man-overboard pole. If you need something for your boat, drop in to see George. If he doesn't have it, he will find it.



The next order of business is renting a motorbike. We drop in at a rental agency to ask about prices, and the proprietor is looking as glum as an undertaker. He asks what we think about the crisis in Greece, then launches into a torrent of complaints about the economy, the government, and Germany. Like many Greeks, he is worried about the future and angry with the government. His tirade goes on too long and we make our escape. The next day, we rent our motorbike from an agency further down the street.

It's handy to have wheels. We snap on our helmets and head for Lefkas town, where we hoped to find a replacement for our stereo. After 10 years, and a long period where it would alternately play only on the speakers in the cockpit, then only on the speakers in the cabin (but never where we wanted it to) our old Blaupunkt had finally given up the ghost. A bit of searching leads us to a car stereo shop on a back street, where we order a Clarion stereo from a young man named Alex. For an extra 30 euros, Alex will bring the stereo to the boat and install it. Unfortunately, the stereo won't arrive until Wednesday, the day that our friends Donald and Victoria are arriving, but Rick assures me that it won't be a problem. "He'll probably just have to plug it; it should be a quick job".

Happy at the prospect of having music onboard again, we head for the Lidl store to stock up on provisions. Our enthusiasm for the great bargains makes it a little difficult to carry it all on the small bike, but somehow we manage it. Back at the boat, we have bags covering every surface and Rick is defrosting the freezer, stripped down to his underwear to beat the heat, when Roger and Pam (Cap d'Or) drop by to say hello. Obviously we can't invite them in, but we ask them to come back later to have a drink with us. We immediately hit it off, and end the evening with promises to get together again for a rubber of bridge, but our plans are derailed by the storm in Vlicho Bay. Later, we hear that Roger has broken his arm when he was thrown across the cockpit during the storm. Link to Rick's blog posting about the storm

Meanwhile, Finalmente has pulled in, and the next day Ni and Krissy decide to join us for a motorbike tour of the island. Our first stop is Vassiliki, a renowned wind-surfing location on the south of the island. We first head for the ferry dock, where we hope to get information on the schedule for departures to Cephalonia for Donald and Victoria. Finding the ticket office deserted, we have iced coffees at a café on the waterfront and ask the waitress about the ferry. "Umm....is finish" she replies....a dreaded phrase we are well familiar with, having heard it many times before in reference to the supply of cold coffee, a special of the day or our choice of wine at dinner. For a ferry, though, the meaning isn't quite as obvious. Is the ferry finished for the day? For the season? Or forever? Eventually we realize the service has ended for the season, which will be a big disappointment for Donald and Victoria.

Back on the bikes, we head up into the hills and cross toward the northwest side of the island, where Lefkada's most beautiful beaches are located. Our plans change a bit when Ni waves us over and tells us the fuel light on their bike has come on. Surely there will be a fuel station soon. Thankfully, our bike still has half a tank...or does it? A few minutes later, our fuel light comes on too. The bikes are guzzling gasoline on the steep hills, and it is a huge relief when we see a sign pointing the way to a petrol station near Agios Nikitas. At least we're mainly going downhill now, and we're coasting on the fumes when we finally arrive at the station. The owner is also selling large jars of honey, with an amazing flavor. We buy some, planning to bring it back to Nova Scotia, but are unable to resist opening it to eat on our toast the next morning.

At Agios Nikitas, we walk through the pretty cobblestone village and have lunch at a fish taverna with a view of the beach.







Rick looks out over the water and wonders if he can see Corfu in the distance. It's a dream location, and although we linger at our table for over an hour, we cannot possibly eat all the food we are served. Before we leave, the waiter takes us behind the counter to see a photo of an angry sea on the beach during a winter storm. Although lovely in summer, it must be very bleak here in January.

Now we are off to Karya, a mountain village near Lefkada. We follow a sign to the Folklore museum, where an elderly man is sitting outside with an elderly dog. They greet us eagerly, and although we hadn't fully decided to go inside, we quickly realize that we will cause great disappointment if we do not. The elderly man is Theodoris Karapodis, a former folk dancer and the driving force behind the creation of the museum, which is located in his family home. He speaks little English, but walks us from room to room, giving us a snapshot of rural Greek life.



One unique piece is a dowry letter from the year 1765, in which a father, on behalf of himself and his dead wife, permits his daughter Angeliki to marry Kostaki, to "take care of him day and night". Many of the displays in the museum feature the embroidery of Maria Koutsochero, a one-armed woman who created a type of embroidery unique to Lefkada and established a school to teach the village girls the technique. We can't imagine how anyone can embroider with only one arm, but Theodoris gives Krissy and me a lesson and it all becomes clear.



As we leave, we pass a table where samples of the embroidery, made by Theodoris' sister, are on display. Krissy and I buy small handkerchiefs at a shockingly steep price, but we remind ourselves that embroidering with only one hand is very time consuming!

The Karya village square seems a world away from the tourist bustle of Nidri. A massive plane trees shades the large courtyard where old men sit drinking coffee. Most of the seats are empty-perhaps because it is late afternoon, or perhaps because the tourist season is winding to a close.



An old woman dressed in traditional black shops for groceries, and as I furtively snap a picture I realize that we are observing a way of life and style of dressing that likely will not exist in 20 years' time.



We wonder why the women never seem to be with their husbands in the coffee shops, but as we drive out of town we see a group of women, gathered at a table in the shady courtyard of a small house.

On the steep ride downhill to Nidri, the white-knuckle switchbacks and the views from the look-offs are breathtaking. As we snap this photo of Vlicho bay, we have no idea that this will later serve as our image of "the calm before the storm." Three days later, we will be hit by hurricane-force winds while lying at anchor here.



It is twilight when we arrive at the crossroad to Nidri at the bottom of the mountain. After only one day of exploring, it's clear why Lefkada is considered to be one of Greece's most beautiful islands.
Comments
Vessel Name: Aisling I
Vessel Make/Model: Slocum 43
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS, Canada
Crew: Rick and Bonnie Salsman
About:
Crew from Halifax to Horta: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Dave Morse, Wally Fraser Crew from Horta to Spain: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Al Salsman, Rob Salsman We left Halifax, N.S. in June 2007, sailed to Horta, and explored the Azores for a month. [...]
Extra:
The info below is a copy and paste from some literature about the Slocum 43. Please excuse the platitudes. Although I may like them , they are not truly mine. Aisling I is a 1987 Slocum 43, designed by Stan Huntingford. She has been designed to satisfy the sailor who wants the blue water, "get [...]
Social:
Aisling I's Photos - Aisling I (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
South coast of France looking West from La Ciotat
La bec d
Aisling leaving RNSYS for Europe 2007 -1 (2)
DSCF2584: In St Georges, Bermuda after our first Ocean Passage 2002.....
Memories............. the Beach. From the front door of my parents cottage at Evangeline Beach, Nova Scotia, looking towards Cape Blomidon. The highest tides of the year. 43 feet twice a day. It
P4022273b: The Mary B Brooks
214 Tons. Built 1926 at Plympton, N.S., Canada. LOA 99
 
1
40 Photos
Created 10 July 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 March 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2015
36 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
22 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
16 Photos
Created 29 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 25 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
20 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
During the winter, we babysat Murphy Brown (a lovely poodle that belongs to our friends Wally and Martha) for 10 days. I had some fun capturing her in some of her favourite spots!
8 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
A few photos from our visit to Palermo, Sicily
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
21 Photos
Created 16 July 2011
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
21 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
40 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
34 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
31 Photos
Created 30 October 2009
41 Photos
Created 17 May 2009
Pics of Aisling at anchor, up top and down below.
23 Photos
Created 2 November 2008
22 Photos
Created 19 October 2008
15 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
7 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
6 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
19 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
14 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 14 July 2008
16 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
3 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
15 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
35 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
20 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
11 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
7 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
6 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
15 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 19 March 2008
22 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
8 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
17 Photos
Created 10 September 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
7 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
21 Photos
Created 29 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 24 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 21 July 2007
38 Photos
Created 14 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 14 July 2007