Aisling I

18 July 2016 | Genoa
11 July 2016 | Genoa Italy
04 July 2016 | Genoa
02 July 2016 | Genoa
25 June 2016 | Porto Azzurro Elba
11 April 2016 | Marina di Ragusa
14 January 2016
25 September 2015 | Crotone Italy
18 September 2015 | Erikoussa
10 September 2015 | Preveza
10 September 2015 | Preveza
24 July 2015 | Preveza
13 July 2015 | Vlicho Bay
03 July 2015 | Preveza Greece
21 June 2015

Mosiac Madness-Caltegirone and Villa Romana Del Casale

11 June 2013
A great thing about having friends come to visit (besides the obvious fact that we get to spend time with our friends) is that it motivates us to do some touring. Even though we've now spent a cumulative total of nearly six months in Sicily since our first visit in 2008, we haven't even come close to seeing everything that this amazing island has to offer. When Bob and Nancy rent a car and ask if there is anywhere we'd like to visit, the Villa Romana Del Casale quickly comes to mind. This circa 4th century AD villa near Piazza Amerina has over 3,500 square meters of well-preserved mosaics, including a most unusual mosaic of women in bikinis. As a bonus, we can make a detour to Caltagirone on the way.

Renting the car through Antonio at "Yacht Services" has the advantage of allowing additional drivers at no charge, so Rick takes the wheel to give Bob his initiation into the fine art of driving in Sicily. Nerves of steel are required by the driver and passengers alike. On the narrow highways, impatient Sicilians drive at breakneck speed, barely missing oncoming vehicles as they weave in and out to overtake. Wrecked vehicles are displayed at strategic points on the roadside, with stern warnings about the dangers of reckless driving. It's clear that these serve only to terrify tourists. Driving through the narrow streets of Sicilian towns is only slightly better. "You just have to get your fender slightly ahead of the other guy's" Rick tells Bob nonchalantly. Bob looks a bit doubtful.

Caltagirone is another of the UNESCO-recognized baroque towns, but is best known for the colourful ceramics made by the town's artisans. True to form, it is almost noon before we arrive in the town centre, but since many of the shops here stay open all day we'll have no trouble buying as much "ceramiche" as we can carry. In the first shop that we visit, Rick zeros in on a ceramic table top, which we definitely can't carry home. The shopkeeper assures him she can ship it to Canada for him, but when he hears the price he beats a hasty retreat. At another shop, we are welcomed by a French woman from Normandy, who teaches French in the town but (apparently) works part-time in the ceramic shop. She enthusiastically rattles on about what a wonderful place Sicily is, which she largely credits to the Norman influence. "And the food is so healthy! They don't use artificial fertilizers because Mount Etna nourishes the soil!" she gushes, then goes on to claim that "No one gets sick here!" This is obviously not true (just yesterday I saw an entire wall covered with death notices outside the public gardens in Ragusa) but I agree that the food is very good. Then she tells me that the ceramic pieces being sold in this shop are the best quality in the entire town. And for some reason, I believe her. Never mind; the things we bought from her were very nice. We move on to a less expensive shop and buy even more.

A prominent landmark in Caltagirone is a long set of steps paved in ceramic tiles. Bob starts to look a bit nervous...will Nancy want to climb it? Perhaps we should have, but instead we continue down a side street to La Piazetta, a restaurant where Rick and I had a delicious meal with Ni, Krissy and Katherine a year ago. "Please, not too much food" Bob pleads. But the food here is so good! We convince him that having the pasta course as well as the mixed antipasti will not be too much, but of course it is. If we keep this up, the four of us won't fit into the car.

The scenery along the road to Piazza Amerina is rural Sicily at its best. At some points we can even see Etna in the distance. Nancy is delighted by the fields of poppies, and finally we find a place where we can safely pull off the road to take some pictures.









By mid-afternoon, we're on-site at the Villa Romana del Casale, another UNESCO World Heritage Site. The villa is believed to have been the retreat of Diocletian's colleague, the Roman Emperor Maximium (a theory supported by the fact that the capitals of the marble columns of the atrium are identical to those at Diocletian's villa at Split). Our Blue Guide claims that the villa is comparable "in richness and extent" not only to Diocletian's Palace, but also to Hadrian's Villa in Tivoli. The Villa Romana was covered by mud in a flood in the 12th century, and remained buried for over seven centuries. This likely helped to preserve the incredible mosaics, which, being Roman-African in style, bring to mind those we've seen in the Bardo museum in Tunis. Seeing these works of art in situ allows us to get a glimpse into the lives of the rich and powerful in the 4th century AD. In places, sections of the walls remain standing, and some frescos are also partially preserved.



Rick and Bob are well-matched as travelling companions, and they do the full tour of the site in record time. Nancy and I are equally well-matched, since we both like to savour every detail. There's so much to see that it's almost bewildering. The Room of the Ten Girls is truly amazing with its depiction of women doing exercises in bikinis, but my personal favourite is the Corridor of the Great Hunt, which shows game animals of India and Africa being captured and loaded into galleys on a fish-filled sea.









We're at least half an hour behind Rick and Bob, but they are waiting patiently. They wait patiently again while we make a detour to a cluster of shops outside the gates, where we each buy a really neat ceramic lemon juicer. It's evening by the time we get back to Marina di Ragusa, and our last stop is at the Demeglio's supermarket, where we buy a kilo of mussels for dinner ...and of course, a little more wine. We're back onboard Aisling just on time to wish Kathy a Happy Birthday through Facetime. If only she could be here to join us in our toast to her health...Salute!
Comments
Vessel Name: Aisling I
Vessel Make/Model: Slocum 43
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS, Canada
Crew: Rick and Bonnie Salsman
About:
Crew from Halifax to Horta: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Dave Morse, Wally Fraser Crew from Horta to Spain: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Al Salsman, Rob Salsman We left Halifax, N.S. in June 2007, sailed to Horta, and explored the Azores for a month. [...]
Extra:
The info below is a copy and paste from some literature about the Slocum 43. Please excuse the platitudes. Although I may like them , they are not truly mine. Aisling I is a 1987 Slocum 43, designed by Stan Huntingford. She has been designed to satisfy the sailor who wants the blue water, "get [...]
Social:
Aisling I's Photos - Aisling I (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
South coast of France looking West from La Ciotat
La bec d
Aisling leaving RNSYS for Europe 2007 -1 (2)
DSCF2584: In St Georges, Bermuda after our first Ocean Passage 2002.....
Memories............. the Beach. From the front door of my parents cottage at Evangeline Beach, Nova Scotia, looking towards Cape Blomidon. The highest tides of the year. 43 feet twice a day. It
P4022273b: The Mary B Brooks
214 Tons. Built 1926 at Plympton, N.S., Canada. LOA 99
 
1
40 Photos
Created 10 July 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 March 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2015
36 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
22 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
16 Photos
Created 29 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 25 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
20 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
During the winter, we babysat Murphy Brown (a lovely poodle that belongs to our friends Wally and Martha) for 10 days. I had some fun capturing her in some of her favourite spots!
8 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
A few photos from our visit to Palermo, Sicily
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
21 Photos
Created 16 July 2011
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
21 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
40 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
34 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
31 Photos
Created 30 October 2009
41 Photos
Created 17 May 2009
Pics of Aisling at anchor, up top and down below.
23 Photos
Created 2 November 2008
22 Photos
Created 19 October 2008
15 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
7 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
6 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
19 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
14 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 14 July 2008
16 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
3 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
15 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
35 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
20 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
11 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
7 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
6 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
15 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 19 March 2008
22 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
8 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
17 Photos
Created 10 September 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
7 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
21 Photos
Created 29 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 24 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 21 July 2007
38 Photos
Created 14 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 14 July 2007