Aisling I

18 July 2016 | Genoa
11 July 2016 | Genoa Italy
04 July 2016 | Genoa
02 July 2016 | Genoa
25 June 2016 | Porto Azzurro Elba
11 April 2016 | Marina di Ragusa
14 January 2016
25 September 2015 | Crotone Italy
18 September 2015 | Erikoussa
10 September 2015 | Preveza
10 September 2015 | Preveza
24 July 2015 | Preveza
13 July 2015 | Vlicho Bay
03 July 2015 | Preveza Greece
21 June 2015

Attitudes on High Latitudes

18 December 2013
Bonnie
Since our return to Halifax in late October, we have temporarily moved back into the realm of armchair sailors. So naturally, we accepted with gratitude when our friend Judy invited us to attend a presentation at the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron last month. The featured speakers, Keri Pashuk & Greg Landreth, recently sailed into Halifax harbour on their way south from Greenland toward Cape Horn. Their descriptions and photos of their many years spent sailing and climbing in Antarctica were enough to make the average cruiser feel like a fraidy-cat. The breathtaking images of icebergs and penguins reminded Rick of his almost-forgotten dream of sailing the high latitudes. You can imagine my horror when I spied an email he had written to our friends Chris and Sandra on Deep Blue, saying "More and more I am feeling like I have to check out some of these high latitude locations myself!" Say what? Sure, I would like to see Antarctica sometime, but ideally from the deck of someone else's (very large and warm) boat. Thankfully, Sandra's reply had things sorted out in a flash. She suggested that Rick should spend some time in a darkened room to think things through. The word "mad" might have been mentioned. I think the immediate danger has passed. Just to be on the safe side, I'll discourage attendance at this type of presentation in the future. Anyway, as you can see from the photo above, the weather we've been having here in Halifax during the past couple of weeks has given us some insight into the downsides of life in the high latitudes, and we're starting to get the urge to head south. But not too far south!

Joking aside, the hour we spent watching the presentation was among the few relaxing moments we've had since we closed the padlock on Aisling's hatch. With the switch from sea to land, the pace of our lives seems to have moved into warp speed. During the month of November, I made trips to Toronto and Ottawa for work, three trips to Cape Breton to help my mother pack for her move to a senior's apartment in Halifax, and a trip to Montreal to help our daughter Katherine shop for her wedding dress. Within the span of one week, Rick's father broke his right arm, his sister Lyn broke her left arm and his Aunt Opal, the youngest of his father's sisters, died after a long illness. Rick flew to Toronto, drove to Niagara Falls, visited with his family, spoke at the funeral, drove back to Toronto and flew back to Halifax, all in one day. Then more sadness, when my aunt Theresa died suddenly last week. Since winter had already arrived with a vengeance, I was grateful to have my brother James behind the wheel for the fourth drive to Cape Breton.

Fortunately, there have been a few bright spots to keep us cheerful. The trip to Montreal with Katherine was a welcome distraction. I've written about how much I love Montreal on this blog in the past (see Montreal blog) so I won't repeat myself, although I can't resist saying that it is still one of my favourite cities in the world. In addition to a highly successful expedition to the bridal shops, we found time for a few great meals at some of our favourite haunts. Lunch at Schwartz's was just as good as we'd remembered, but the highlight had to be dinner at l'Express. Mind you, the cooking at l'Express was no better than the meal we had at the home of our friends Susan and Bruce a few nights later. Then there was the wonderful American Thanksgiving dinner with James and his family, convened at the insistence of our niece Liz who was taking a break from her engineering studies at the University of Tennessee. In early December, we drove to Herman's Island on Nova Scotia's beautiful south shore, for a delicious dinner at the home of John Harries and Phyllis Nickel. John and Phyllis are experienced high-latitude sailors, and I have no doubt that spending the evening with them reawakened Rick's dream of sailing through icebergs. It's hard not to be inspired by their adventures -check out their website at www.morganscloud.com.

At a Christmas party at the home of our friend Nancy this past Saturday night, we enjoyed the festive food and decorations but, more importantly, had the opportunity to wish many of our friends a Merry Christmas. These special moments with family and friends are the reason we choose to come home for the winter. Even though our stress levels are higher and the winter temperatures are much lower, I can't imagine staying away from home for any longer than we do.

There's lots more we could write about. The unfinished blogs about our trip to China in August. Licata Race week. The pleasant weeks we spent in Marina di Ragusa, with pizza parties, cockpit gatherings and long walks along the beach. Boat projects and more window leaks. A wonderful evening at the Busker's festival in Ragusa Ibla. The numerous trips back and forth to Ragusa to file the paperwork required to renew our Italian residency permits. The three wonderful days we spent in Florence on the way home. The Italian cooking classes that we took in Florence. Hopefully we'll manage to catch up on those postings during the winter.

In the meantime, please keep your own blogs and Facebook updates coming. We armchair sailors need something to brighten the dark days of winter!
Comments
Vessel Name: Aisling I
Vessel Make/Model: Slocum 43
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS, Canada
Crew: Rick and Bonnie Salsman
About:
Crew from Halifax to Horta: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Dave Morse, Wally Fraser Crew from Horta to Spain: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Al Salsman, Rob Salsman We left Halifax, N.S. in June 2007, sailed to Horta, and explored the Azores for a month. [...]
Extra:
The info below is a copy and paste from some literature about the Slocum 43. Please excuse the platitudes. Although I may like them , they are not truly mine. Aisling I is a 1987 Slocum 43, designed by Stan Huntingford. She has been designed to satisfy the sailor who wants the blue water, "get [...]
Social:
Aisling I's Photos - Aisling I (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
South coast of France looking West from La Ciotat
La bec d
Aisling leaving RNSYS for Europe 2007 -1 (2)
DSCF2584: In St Georges, Bermuda after our first Ocean Passage 2002.....
Memories............. the Beach. From the front door of my parents cottage at Evangeline Beach, Nova Scotia, looking towards Cape Blomidon. The highest tides of the year. 43 feet twice a day. It
P4022273b: The Mary B Brooks
214 Tons. Built 1926 at Plympton, N.S., Canada. LOA 99
 
1
40 Photos
Created 10 July 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 March 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2015
36 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
22 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
16 Photos
Created 29 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 25 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
20 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
During the winter, we babysat Murphy Brown (a lovely poodle that belongs to our friends Wally and Martha) for 10 days. I had some fun capturing her in some of her favourite spots!
8 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
A few photos from our visit to Palermo, Sicily
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
21 Photos
Created 16 July 2011
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
21 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
40 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
34 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
31 Photos
Created 30 October 2009
41 Photos
Created 17 May 2009
Pics of Aisling at anchor, up top and down below.
23 Photos
Created 2 November 2008
22 Photos
Created 19 October 2008
15 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
7 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
6 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
19 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
14 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 14 July 2008
16 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
3 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
15 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
35 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
20 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
11 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
7 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
6 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
15 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 19 March 2008
22 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
8 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
17 Photos
Created 10 September 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
7 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
21 Photos
Created 29 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 24 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 21 July 2007
38 Photos
Created 14 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 14 July 2007