Aisling I

18 July 2016 | Genoa
11 July 2016 | Genoa Italy
04 July 2016 | Genoa
02 July 2016 | Genoa
25 June 2016 | Porto Azzurro Elba
11 April 2016 | Marina di Ragusa
14 January 2016
25 September 2015 | Crotone Italy
18 September 2015 | Erikoussa
10 September 2015 | Preveza
10 September 2015 | Preveza
24 July 2015 | Preveza
13 July 2015 | Vlicho Bay
03 July 2015 | Preveza Greece
21 June 2015

Cruising Notes Siracusa to Naples

23 May 2014 | Torre del Greco, Bay of Naples
Rick
Normally, we add our cruising notes at the end of each posting, but we've fallen a bit behind on this lately. Rick has just summarized his notes from Siracusa to the Bay of Naples, so we are posting them here in a group. We'll also add them individually to the appropriate sections.

If you are coming to the Bay of Naples, we highly recommend the Circolo Nautico in Torre del Greco. Many thanks to Jim and Katie Thomsen on Tenaya for recommending it!

Cruising Notes Siracusa to Bay of Naples

Siracusa: No change here since previous notes in 2009, 11, 12 and 2013 . Anchored in 30' , close to canal in mud, good hold. Dinghy dock in canal on left, past first bridge. Lock dinghy and tanks well as there have been thefts here. Great chandlery on Via Savoia (near the water end of the street). Laundry available on the mainland side, take Ponte Umberto off Ortigia and it's a short distance on the left

Catania: We stayed in Porto Nuovo; recommended by Catania Yachting. Well protected except small surge when winds from the south. 40 Euros per night in May, includes water and electric. Most yard services available in the port. Excellent market (must see) near the Piazza Duomo. 15 min walk to Duomo. Good chandleries. Great restaurants. The bar at the port was packed our first night and there was a live band, which was very good. The crowd of 20-49 year olds agreed.

Reggio Calabria: Marina 40 euros per night in May, water and electric included. Well protected. Long walk through the port; 15+ minute walk in total to town. Restaurants, bars, groceries, and hardware in town. The local museum's Riace Bronzes are a must-see. Saverio, a local taxi driver, provides various services. Very friendly and helpful but we suggest you confirm prices and understanding first. Current and tide tables available at the Coast Guard next door. We took photos of the ones for May to Oct 2014 and can share. Just send us an email.

Aeolian Islands

Lipari: We stayed in Pignataro Marina because it is the most protected and there was a blow coming. VHF channel 74. Cost 40 euros for the first night then 30 for next and then 20 for the last night. Water (potable) and electric included. 15-20 minute walk to town. There is always movement from the wash from the ferries and tripper boats. Toilets and showers were not working when we were there although showers are available at a hotel up the hill. There are other berthing choices in town on the piers but they are all exposed to winds and seas from the northeast around to and including the south. Groceries and restaurants in town. Fuel on the pier. The island can be seen by bus or car; we rented from Giovanni at "Pit Stop".

Vulcano: We opted for Porto Ponente. It is open to the west and north west. We used a stern anchor to counter the slight swell and resulting roll. We anchored in 23' hard packed sand. Good hold. 5 boats anchored when we were there and room for several more. No services except a restaurant. Bought fresh fish from a fisherman there. Left our dinghy padlocked to the dock to do the hike up the volcano; 20 minute walk from Porto Ponente to the entrance of the trail. Groceries available in Porto Levante about a 15 minute walk from the dock.


Salina: First we went to Rinella on the south coast, thinking we could anchor out. However the wharves are used by the 2 different ferries and the cove beside the ferry dock was too small for us, we thought. One could have put a line ashore but then there is still the wash from the ferries. Bottom was black sand.

We moved on to Santa Marina on the east coast. We tried to anchor south of the Porto Turistico but it was rocky and no good hold. We entered the port (VHF channel 11) and stayed at the Porto Turistico; 100 euros in total to stay from 2 pm one day until midnight the next night. Cost for one night would have been 65 euros in May. Water and electric included. Showers and toilets. Groceries and bread in town. Engine service available. Well protected except from the south.

West Coast Italy

Camerota: Subject to silting at the entrance. The channel is not marked but carries 11' clearance on the way in. If you divide the harbour entrance between the outer mole and the inner mole into 3 sections, the channel lies roughly on the line between the most landward section and the center section. This had at least 11 feet. When we entered the harbour we did not know where the channel was and went down the middle and it was 7 feet deep. We draw 6' 7". "Phew for that", as my son used to say. The bottom is sand in the channel. There looks to be a nice anchorage in sand, albeit open to the south and east.Cost was 50 euros per night in May, water (potable) and electric included. Camping gas in the store above the IP Fuel station. Travel lift and diesel and gasoline available. Difficult to find a chandlery or hardware store. Showers clean toilets and washing machine available. Self-serve lavanderia with washers and dryers above the piazza (near the grocery store). Restaurants etc nearby. The marina is pleasantly situated and the town is attractive.

Agripoli: Their web site is http://www.portodiagropoli.com/. We called John Ruocco Cell 349 0926609 to arrange a berth. His daughter(?) Antonia speaks pretty good English. The rate was 60 euros which includes water and electric. I believe you can tie up , maybe for free, at the end of the outside mole, according to Heikell and it looked like there was swing room between the inside mole and the cliff, off the beach. I saw 2 chandlers by the marina and in town (a short walk up the lower hill) is a Super Mercado.There are toilets though we didn't see them.

Baia (Pozzuolli, Bay of Naples): We anchored one night in 30 feet on between the restricted zones and under the big fort on the point. The Fiardo boat yard was on shore, The hold was very good in mud and sand. Well protected from the North and West and open from the South and East. There was a bit of a roll from the ferries but not bad. From there the next day we went to Cantieri Sud on the other side of the bay in Pozzuolli. The cost was 80 euros / night and water and electric were extra. This is a very organized and upscale marina and yard with full facilities for painting, engine work, plumbing etc etc. Travel Lift. We had our holding tank and toilet problems fixed here in short order.Nice toilets and showers, washing machine and wifi. Supermercado to the right when you leave the gate; lots of restaurants, bakeries and fruit/vegetables in the town. Many interesting historic sites nearby.

Torre del Greco, Bay of Naples: This harbour is well protected from all but the south east. We stayed at Circolo Nautico having arranged it in advance. http://www.cntg.it/ . They are located on the right as soon as you enter. There are other piers on the left as you enter that also provide berths but I'm told they are more expensive.The Circolo Nautico do not have a lot of room so best to email and confirm availability. The clubhouse is beautiful with a restaurant , bar and decks with beautiful views of the bay. Although the guest pontoons are not locked, there is a security guard on duty at night and his post was closeby. The cost was 35 euros per night, water and electric included in May. Toilets and showers and free wifi available. Two chandleries in the port. There is fuel available at 2 spots in the harbour and lots of services here that work on the local fishing fleet. Great restaurants and fish shops in the port, other provisions available in the town. The area around the port is a bit run-down, but the area around the town square is very attractive.Very convenient access to Naples, Pompeii, Herculaneum and the Amalfi Coast from here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Aisling I
Vessel Make/Model: Slocum 43
Hailing Port: Halifax, NS, Canada
Crew: Rick and Bonnie Salsman
About:
Crew from Halifax to Horta: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Dave Morse, Wally Fraser Crew from Horta to Spain: Bonnie and Rick Salsman, Al Salsman, Rob Salsman We left Halifax, N.S. in June 2007, sailed to Horta, and explored the Azores for a month. [...]
Extra:
The info below is a copy and paste from some literature about the Slocum 43. Please excuse the platitudes. Although I may like them , they are not truly mine. Aisling I is a 1987 Slocum 43, designed by Stan Huntingford. She has been designed to satisfy the sailor who wants the blue water, "get [...]
Social:
Aisling I's Photos - Aisling I (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
South coast of France looking West from La Ciotat
La bec d
Aisling leaving RNSYS for Europe 2007 -1 (2)
DSCF2584: In St Georges, Bermuda after our first Ocean Passage 2002.....
Memories............. the Beach. From the front door of my parents cottage at Evangeline Beach, Nova Scotia, looking towards Cape Blomidon. The highest tides of the year. 43 feet twice a day. It
P4022273b: The Mary B Brooks
214 Tons. Built 1926 at Plympton, N.S., Canada. LOA 99
 
1
40 Photos
Created 10 July 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 March 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2015
36 Photos
Created 16 May 2014
22 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
15 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
16 Photos
Created 29 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2014
20 Photos
Created 25 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2013
20 Photos
Created 18 September 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
34 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 September 2012
During the winter, we babysat Murphy Brown (a lovely poodle that belongs to our friends Wally and Martha) for 10 days. I had some fun capturing her in some of her favourite spots!
8 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
A few photos from our visit to Palermo, Sicily
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
21 Photos
Created 16 July 2011
2 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
21 Photos
Created 13 November 2009
40 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
34 Photos
Created 1 November 2009
31 Photos
Created 30 October 2009
41 Photos
Created 17 May 2009
Pics of Aisling at anchor, up top and down below.
23 Photos
Created 2 November 2008
22 Photos
Created 19 October 2008
15 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
7 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
6 Photos
Created 10 September 2008
19 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
14 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 14 July 2008
16 Photos
Created 29 June 2008
3 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
15 Photos
Created 23 June 2008
35 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
22 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
20 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2008
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
11 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
7 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
6 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
5 Photos
Created 5 May 2008
15 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 19 March 2008
22 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
8 Photos
Created 30 January 2008
17 Photos
Created 10 September 2007
8 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
7 Photos
Created 1 September 2007
21 Photos
Created 29 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 17 August 2007
8 Photos
Created 24 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 21 July 2007
38 Photos
Created 14 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 14 July 2007