North to Adventure

Vessel Name: Aka Aka
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina
Hailing Port: Bunbury, Western Australia
Crew: Terry & Bon
About: Description: Dubious
07 December 2017 | Geraldton Western Australia
25 November 2017 | Geraldton
06 November 2017 | Carnarvon Western Australia
23 October 2017 | Exmouth Western Australia
09 October 2017 | Exmouth Western Australia
25 September 2017 | Exmouth Western Australia
13 September 2017 | Exmouth Western Australia
07 September 2017 | Exmouth Western Australia
03 September 2017
31 August 2017 | Carnarvon Western Australia
18 August 2017 | Freemantle Sailing Club Western Australia
07 August 2017 | Bunbury Western Australia
Recent Blog Posts
07 December 2017 | Geraldton Western Australia

Leaving Geraldton.....

Tuesday 5th December - Our number 2 grandchild, Ava Lauren O'Connor's 12th birthday.

25 November 2017 | Geraldton

Heading South....SLOWLY!

Hi Today is Sunday 26th November This begins with a continuation of the last one...6th November

06 November 2017 | Carnarvon Western Australia

First leg south....

Sunday night 5 November

23 October 2017 | Exmouth Western Australia

One. Day. At. A. Time.......

Friday, 20 October 2017

09 October 2017 | Exmouth Western Australia

Drifting along......

Sunday 1 October 2017

25 September 2017 | Exmouth Western Australia

Rudderless........

update

03 September 2017
After three attempts to post on the blog and somehow losing it (in more ways than one!) I am now writing on a word document and will see if I can manage a copy and paste!

We left Fremantle Monday morning 21 Aug 7:27 - weather not as bad as it was from Mandurah to Freo but still very cold, with sloppy seas. While Terry got some much needed sleep, I sat up on a princess seat (all rugged up) and just marveled at the beauty of the sky while the sun prepared to set. I was staring off in the distance when I witnessed a hump back whale breach right out of the water. It wasn't until it did it a second time that I realised just what I had seen. I shook my head to clear it and the third time it splashed it was a lot closer so there was no mistaking what I saw. Wow! What a magnificent animal.
The last two hours turned horrible with very strong southerly winds - by the time we made it into Geraldton midnight Tues. we were not feeling too flash. Just tied up to the service jetty and fell into bed. In the morning, DOT moved us into a nice secure pen for the rest of our stay. Access to toilets, showers, and free laundry facilities. They were so friendly and willing to make our stay a pleasant one. Bunbury D.O.T. take note!!! Wednesday we just rested and cleaned up the boat.
Thurs Terry unfolded our bikes so we could get around. We went for a beautiful ride along foreshore - then went back to boat for afternoon tea with Sam & Bernadette (Berna). Berna is Dolly's sister who was Gavan's first wife before she died of cancer. Great to catchup with them since they live out whoop whoop in Mullewa on a farm! They just happened to be in town sorting details with police after their house (they keep in town for when they have business, shopping etc. to do - too far to drive back & forth in one day) was broken into. Arseholes! Took their Suzuki Swift and crashed it out of town, smashed a window, and took some scotch!?
Friday 25th Aug. we rode up to shops - Terry got a new pair of much needed joggers - then we continued to town and ended up having coffee and lunch at DOME on waterfront - Once back on board we did laundry , packed up boat, posted Jai's b-day card, and left Sat morning 26th Aug for Carnarvon. The seas were ok in morning but as usual the weather turned to shit. Very sloppy seas and high winds just as it starts to get dark! We took refuge late Sun 27th night in Turtle bay - we couldn't see anything but was told it was a good bay to anchor in. Terry put out two anchors but we still had wind hitting us side on which he wasn't happy with so in the wee hours he decided to take my earlier suggestion and move closer into the bay. FINALLY, after a calm rest-of-the-night's sleep, we woke up to an idealic morning! Perfect light winds and sunshine sitting in this gorgeous bay. I was up on the princess seat having my cuppa when I saw a turtle!!! He disappeared once we both registered what we were seeing! But Wow! A turtle in Turtle Bay....who would've thought?!!
About a half hour out of Carnarvon we came upon two pods of hump back whales not too far from each other - breaching, fanning tails and splashing them down as well as the side fins coming out and splashing. It seemed they were in competition with each other because after each display from one side the others did one more even bigger and better than the last! I don't think I would EVER get tired of watching them (nor dolphins for that matter)!!!
Arrived Carnarvon 430 Monday 27th . Next day met up with Joan and Graham!!! They had been fishing up north since June and were now on their way back home. The timing was purrrfect as they arrived in Carnarvon Tuesday morning. They came to the boat around 11 bringing with them tidings of great joy! A cooked chook (chicken for you yankees), fresh rolls, lettuce, with fresh tomatoes for our lunch; then for tea they brought some fillets of snapper they had caught which we had with coleslaw. Thank you again Neil for the lemons! I only mention this cuisine because it had been a few days since we had anything other than dry biscuits and fizzy water...oh and the occasional boiled egg.
A fellow came in next to us on a sailboat heading south from being in the Kimberlys with his wife. She was smart and flew home...he has been sailing into the wind all the way down! His name was Dave Mitchell and lives in Fremantle. We invited him over for a beer and nibblies. The five of us had a great time telling stories of sailing, fishing and camping. Dave gave us his literature on the Kimberlys which is quite comprehensive. A much appreciated resource!
Seeing our besties sure lifted up our flagging spirits. Laughter is a great healer and boy did we laugh. They took off on Wed. 30th Jai David's 12th birthday after lunch to continue home. With a renewed energy we tidied up the boat and read our books for awhile. Thursday 31st Aug we rode our bikes into town to do lotto, have a coffee and some lunch, and get a few supplies from shop. Heading in to town we had strong tail winds....so the ride home was H . A . R . D . going! Puff puff! - but felt good too!
Friday 1 September we did our own thing ... read books, putter doing various jobs, and I sent a birthday email to Melinda. In the evening, we went to the local yacht club for a beer and a barbecue dinner. We met some very nice people. I washed dishes to lend a hand to the one-man-barman-show, which seemed to be much appreciated.
Sat 2 Sept I read, Terry fished off back of boat - he caught 4 different types of fish (all too small) cod, trumpeter, silver bream and black bream! We watched the movie Philomena with Judy Dench - based on a true story where young Irish catholic girls who had babies out of wedlock and had to work in convent to pay for their sins. They were only allowed to see their babies for one hour a day - until the children were adopted (illegally) to rich American couples - Philomena kept it secret until her son would have turned 50 when she decided to find him. what a superb (but sad) movie
Sunday 3rd Sept. Father's day here in Australia. Heading to Exmouth around 9am tomorrow.
Comments
Aka Aka's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 18 August 2017
No Photos
Created 17 August 2017
No Photos
Created 15 August 2017

About & Links