Leeway II

Fulfilling a life-long dream of cruising the oceans in our own boat. Join us as we travel in our classic 1984 Alberg 37 Yawl

31 March 2014 | Hopetown to Man O War
31 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour, Abacos
11 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour
28 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
28 February 2014 | Marsh Harbour
17 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
09 February 2014 | Treasure Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
31 January 2014 | White Sound, Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
30 December 2013 | Indiantown
03 November 2013 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
26 February 2013 | Riviera Beach Marina, West Palm Beach, Florida
27 December 2012 | Stuart, Florida
17 October 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
28 June 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
20 May 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
07 May 2012 | Indiantown, Florida
28 April 2012 | West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas

Erie Canal ... Part 1

17 September 2010 | Amsterdam, NY
Cindy & Wayne
It's been an interesting couple of days since our last posting. After departing Phoenix, NY in the Oswego Canal we sailed south to the "Three Rivers Junction" where we joined the Erie Canal travelling east. It continued to remain cold and late morning it began raining "cats and dogs" and the wind began picking up considerably. It didn't look to be an ideal day for crossing Oneida Lake (which they say not to under estimate) and so we decided to make it a relatively short day and stopped in Brewerton, NY. This is the last town before crossing Lake Oneida, and the weather was getting a little "iffy" to cross the charted 30 miles or so of the lake. Brewerton is a lovely little town with everything within walking distance. We had an incredible lunch at a little Italian restaurant - $3.99 for a platter full of spaghetti. You don't get that at home for that kind of price! We were able to pick up a US cell phone that our friends Darius and Cathy had told us about, so we'll be able to call anywhere in the US for .10 cents a minute or to home for .15 cents a minute. That's a lot better than Ma Bell!

On Wednesday we left in brilliant sunlight (see the picture above) with cool but clear skies and our crossing of Lake Oneida was uneventful. We left the wall in Brewerton about 8:00 and were across the lake by 11:00. Wayne had always wanted to see Sylvan Beach, so we tied up on the wall and had a bite of lunch (well, actually a very late breakfast). Sylvian Beach is the quintessential summer beach resort complete with an amusement park likely built in the 1920s. We wandered into the town, but there wasn't much open. Like many summer resort town once labour day passes, everything pretty much closes up and it seemed that they were getting ready to take in the sidewalks for the winter. We did spend some time chatting to a "local" who had sailed on a friend's Alberg 37 for years and was delighted to see one again.

We pressed on from Sylvan Beach and thought we'd make a few more miles. We traversed two more locks (we're now about 175 feet above Lake Ontario) and figured that we would spend the night in Rome, NY. As we approached the dock, we ran aground. There was supposed to be enough depth, but there is a little falls off to the north side and we think it's just silted in. We were able to get ourselves off after about ½ hour after Wayne got into the dinghy to push our bow out into deeper water. It was interesting trying to put the dinghy back in the towing harness as the boat moved down the canal at 3 knots (an interesting move to say the least). We managed fine, but you always hate running aground. At least it was just mud. We then pushed on to Lock 20 and tied up on the wall for the night which made for a rather longer day than we planned. Lock 20 is the first lock where we start the descent down to the Hudson River. Only about 20 locks to go until we can be a sailboat again and put our masts back up!

The middle section of the canal from Rome past Utica is not nearly as picturesque as the Oswego Canal or its earlier parts because this stretch is mostly man made and tends to be narrow and somewhat boring. All we've seen for the last two days since we left the Oswego Canal is trees on either side and there are few little towns to see. It is still a new adventure though and we're always up for adventure (maybe not like the one we had yesterday at Rome though!).

On Thursday we traversed our first "down" lock without incident and started our descent towards the Hudson River. It is actually much smoother than going up. We had intended to stop in Herkimer, NY but when we saw what it looked like, we decided to push on. The depth at the wall was questionable and it looked like it was in the middle of no where and with two interstate highways and a railroad track within 200 feet of the dock. That would have been noisy! Pushed on to Lock 18 and figured we stay here for the night. Just as we tied up the boat, it started to rain. Good thing we stopped!
Comments
Vessel Name: Leeway II
Vessel Make/Model: 1984 Alberg 37' Yawl
Hailing Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
About:
Wayne & Cindy Milroy have been sailing and cruising on Lake Ontario for nearly twenty-five years. Since shortly after joining forces in life, we nurtured the dream to go cruising on our own sailboat “where the butter always melts”. [...]
Extra:
We will use this blog to share our escapades as we go wandering about. We’ll try to keep our family updated on our whereabouts and convince them that we are safe; we’ll share the excitement and wonder of our adventures with friends who supported our dreams throughout the years; and, we’ll [...]

Leeway's Crew

Who: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
WELCOME ABOARD! Feel free to look around and enjoy yourself. We'd love to hear from you. PLEASE NOTE! The most recent posts are listed first. If you would like to follow this blog from its beginning please click on the Contents and scroll to the bottom. Early posts are located at the end of the list.
(c) 2010 Wayne & Cindy Milroy. All rights reserved