Leeway II

Fulfilling a life-long dream of cruising the oceans in our own boat. Join us as we travel in our classic 1984 Alberg 37 Yawl

31 March 2014 | Hopetown to Man O War
31 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour, Abacos
11 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour
28 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
28 February 2014 | Marsh Harbour
17 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
09 February 2014 | Treasure Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
31 January 2014 | White Sound, Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
30 December 2013 | Indiantown
03 November 2013 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
26 February 2013 | Riviera Beach Marina, West Palm Beach, Florida
27 December 2012 | Stuart, Florida
17 October 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
28 June 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
20 May 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
07 May 2012 | Indiantown, Florida
28 April 2012 | West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas

The Joy (?!?) of Long-Distance Relationships

04 January 2011 | Stuart, Florida
Cindy
So, Wayne mentioned the fact that we ran aground. In truth, it really was a confusing channel, and when you compared the charts to the chartplotter, it was easy to make the mistake that we did before we ran aground. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

It was wonderful to spend time on Leeway II again with the love of my life. We embarked on this journey knowing that we would be separated for periods of time, but in the long run, our "excellent adventure" would come together. It was wonderful to be sailing again, getting in synch with Wayne and the boat and experiencing new ports and anchorages.

Stuart is as lovely as we have been told it would be. We have had many friends talk about how lovely the marina and city are, and they were right. The Sunset Bay Marina is within a short walk of the old downtown and is truly a delight. We quickly felt at home with the friendly staff who promptly pointed out the hightlights of Stuart - places to eat, things to do, etc. Since we were there just before New Year's, we were delighted to find out that there would be a potluck cruisers cocktail party on New Years Eve.

We quickly connected with friends that Wayne had made on his way south, Jim and Carole Whitmore on SV White Lilly. They were staying at a marina close to ours, so we connected for drinks (imagine, cruisers connecting for drinks). We talked about New Years Eve, but to be honest, Wayne and I are not the "Must have a party on New Year's Eve" types. While Jim and Carole were out enjoying New Years Eve with their friend, we enjoyed the pot luck cruisers cocktail party and then settled back on the boat for a lovely steak dinner. We watched the ball drop in NYC on TV and then called it a night. We fondly remembered our night in NYC in 2001 watching the ball drop at the base of the NY Times building.

Stuart is a great City. Everything is within close proximity - restaurants, provisioning, etc. We found out that the City and the local newspaper offer free jazz concerts on the waterfront the first Sunday of every month. Lucky for us, we were there for the first Sunday. You will see photos of the concert in our photo gallery. The concert was great and from there, we walked about 3 miles over to Jim and Carole's boat on the other side of the bay for a lovely dinner, great conversation and wine (wine, really, us?)

Too soon, my Christmas vacation was over and we found ourselves renting a car the day before I was to head back to the cold climes of Canada. It was time to re-provision the boat and seek out that fresh seafood dinner that I had been hankering for since I left home. It turned out to be quite a feat. We went to a couple of grocery stores, a newly opened seafood market (that wasn't "officially" opening until the next day), not to mention miles of back and forth on a couple of streets before we finally found the spot. Honestly, the oysters were the largest that I have ever seen in my life. AND, I LOVE OYSTERS! These puppies were as big as my hand (see the photo gallery). They were almost a meal in themselves, but of course, we also had lobster tails and scallops. Delightful dinner and just what I envisioned. Funny thing though - we figured we could toss the oyster shells overboard (they came from the area anyway), and I soon realized that I wasn't tossing the shells back to whence they came, but into our trusty dinghy that was lashed to the side of the boat! We could only imagine what "critters" might be enjoying the shells in the morning.

When you book vacations from work, you think that its lots of time. You soon find out that it is shorter than you imagined. On one hand, the vacation seemed to last forever, but when you're leaving your soul mate for another few months, it seems to fly by. Sure enough, before I knew it, we were heading off to the airport. The comfort is knowing that I will be back on the boat in a couple of months for our next adventure. The sad part is that I have to leave my soul mate again. I am at peace knowing that he, and LeewayII await my arrival again. It will be a sweet day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leeway II
Vessel Make/Model: 1984 Alberg 37' Yawl
Hailing Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
About:
Wayne & Cindy Milroy have been sailing and cruising on Lake Ontario for nearly twenty-five years. Since shortly after joining forces in life, we nurtured the dream to go cruising on our own sailboat “where the butter always melts”. [...]
Extra:
We will use this blog to share our escapades as we go wandering about. We’ll try to keep our family updated on our whereabouts and convince them that we are safe; we’ll share the excitement and wonder of our adventures with friends who supported our dreams throughout the years; and, we’ll [...]

Leeway's Crew

Who: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
WELCOME ABOARD! Feel free to look around and enjoy yourself. We'd love to hear from you. PLEASE NOTE! The most recent posts are listed first. If you would like to follow this blog from its beginning please click on the Contents and scroll to the bottom. Early posts are located at the end of the list.
(c) 2010 Wayne & Cindy Milroy. All rights reserved