Leeway II

Fulfilling a life-long dream of cruising the oceans in our own boat. Join us as we travel in our classic 1984 Alberg 37 Yawl

31 March 2014 | Hopetown to Man O War
31 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour, Abacos
11 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour
28 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
28 February 2014 | Marsh Harbour
17 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
09 February 2014 | Treasure Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
31 January 2014 | White Sound, Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
30 December 2013 | Indiantown
03 November 2013 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
26 February 2013 | Riviera Beach Marina, West Palm Beach, Florida
27 December 2012 | Stuart, Florida
17 October 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
28 June 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
20 May 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
07 May 2012 | Indiantown, Florida
28 April 2012 | West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas

Industry in Indiantown

20 December 2011 | Indiantown, Florida
Wayne
Well as Cindy said we had to go in separate directions after the Annapolis Boat Show and after dropping her off at BWI airport I turned the truck south. It actually was a little earlier than I anticipated leaving but it seemed silly for me to drive all the way back home only to turn around in a week or so and retrace all these steps. So I started off down towards the boat and the several projects I knew that wanted me.

Since I was in no real hurry I decided to stay away from the I-95 corridor and see some of the more scenic areas and re-visit some of the places that I saw on the boat last year. First stop was in Deltaville, Virginia to spend some more time with Darius & Kathy (sv Breeze Hunter) with whom we had spent some time with in Annapolis and we spent a nice couple of hours together talking boats (what else) before I carried on my way. Second stop was the next day with John & Marie (sv Hunky Dory) with whom I met up on their transit of the Dismal Swamp and we had a lovely dinner together.

I stopped several times overnight on the way down because the Admiral had kindly given me her current illness to take with me as a going away present. So I decided to drive short days, see some sights and try to recover before getting to Florida. I managed to re-visit the anchorage at Norfolk where Derek and I spent a rough night on the way out of the Chesapeake, re-visited acquaintances at Titusville, and saw several places that have now made their way onto my 'bucket' list.

Four days after leaving the Admiral I arrived at Indiantown Marina and scheduled for them to move the boat into the work area three days later. And so, the projects began.

First, the bottom needed a good sanding, epoxy and anti-fouling paint. The paint we used, once again, didn't seem up to the job and so we switched brands on the advice of the local marina and started again to bring it up to standard. Now sanding in nearly 90 degree heat is NOT fun (see the accompanying picture) and after 2 days of sanding, a half-day of spot epoxy and painting, and a third day applying 2 coats of anti-fouling paint the job was accomplished.

Next up was to strip all the teak toe-rail with 2-part teak stripping. The easiest way to apply this was using a tooth brush and, believe me, the boat gets real big was using such a small tool. But, after another 2 days, mission accomplished.

Meanwhile, down below I stripped out the head and painted the floor and part of the walls. In addition all the flooring in the main saloon was re-finished and, depending on the area, either painted or varnished. Many of the bilge areas were also painted.

Next, the boat's hull was given an acid bath to remove marks and stains and then 2 coats of wax were applied before launching.

I launched the boat on Nov 16 and took a slip for a month to complete more projects. After launching I tore apart the refrigerator; reinsulated and painted the box; added new shelves; new temperature gauges; added organizers and rubber tiles on the frig floor which seems to have made a great deal of difference in the efficiency and convenience of the frig.

After a month of long days and hard work (insert sob here) I still have things on the "to-do" list that aren't going to get done and the Admiral arrives in just a few days.

Now I don't want to leave you all with the impression that Indiantown is all work and no play because it's not. During Thanksgiving week the marina went all out to entertain and feed us like kings. With Thanksgiving officially on Thursday this year, they started to celebrate on the Monday with "Island food" of jerk chicken and pork, beer and a steel drum band. The next night, Tuesday, they fed us wings and ribs and beer, with a karaoke band while on Wednesday was wine tasting accompanied by Italian lasagne and penne Alfredo with salads, beer and country rock band. But the height of it all came on Thursday afternoon with a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings and a jazz ensemble to entertain. To say that they treated all of us royally that week was an understatement. And, as we are about to leave just before Christmas they are busily planning a Christmas eve dinner for all their boaters which we will miss.

And, of course, you meet a wide variety of people getting ready for a wide variety of adventures. It's amazing just how many friends you meet and keep in a place like this. People enjoying the same things you do.

Still after two months it's was time to move on and so after the Admiral arrived we provisioned the boat, got some last minute repairs done (we discovered that the electronic bilge pump switches had burnt out and we had to replace both bilge pumps and instal 2 new mechanical switches and a new high water alarm - all for the very low (?) price of $1200 - welcome to boating) and shoved off for parts unknown (Well maybe we do know them but it sounded romantic didn't it.)

Let's see what new adventures we can dream up this year. We'll keep in touch.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leeway II
Vessel Make/Model: 1984 Alberg 37' Yawl
Hailing Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
About:
Wayne & Cindy Milroy have been sailing and cruising on Lake Ontario for nearly twenty-five years. Since shortly after joining forces in life, we nurtured the dream to go cruising on our own sailboat “where the butter always melts”. [...]
Extra:
We will use this blog to share our escapades as we go wandering about. We’ll try to keep our family updated on our whereabouts and convince them that we are safe; we’ll share the excitement and wonder of our adventures with friends who supported our dreams throughout the years; and, we’ll [...]

Leeway's Crew

Who: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
WELCOME ABOARD! Feel free to look around and enjoy yourself. We'd love to hear from you. PLEASE NOTE! The most recent posts are listed first. If you would like to follow this blog from its beginning please click on the Contents and scroll to the bottom. Early posts are located at the end of the list.
(c) 2010 Wayne & Cindy Milroy. All rights reserved