Leeway II

Fulfilling a life-long dream of cruising the oceans in our own boat. Join us as we travel in our classic 1984 Alberg 37 Yawl

31 March 2014 | Hopetown to Man O War
31 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Hopetown, Abacos
20 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour, Abacos
11 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour
28 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
28 February 2014 | Marsh Harbour
17 February 2014 | Man O War Cay
09 February 2014 | Treasure Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
31 January 2014 | White Sound, Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
30 December 2013 | Indiantown
03 November 2013 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
26 February 2013 | Riviera Beach Marina, West Palm Beach, Florida
27 December 2012 | Stuart, Florida
17 October 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
28 June 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
20 May 2012 | Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
07 May 2012 | Indiantown, Florida
28 April 2012 | West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas

Nippers and Grabbers, oh my!

11 March 2014 | Marsh Harbour
Cindy
Sounds like a 70's strip club, doesn't it? Well, it's nothing like that and although I don't know the history of the names of these two bars, there may have been something like that going on back in the day. We spent a couple of days at Great Guana Cay and you can't go there without going to the famous Nippers and Grabbers restaurants (yes, they are two separate places). Nippers is located on the beach on the ocean side and is famous for it's Sunday Pig Roasts. The place hops I tell you - I've never seen so many dancing bikinis and speedos in one spot. Oh yeah and old geezers taking videos of said dancing bikinis. Loud music, dancing, a pool, bar and restaurant makes for a fun afternoon. Not to mention the beautiful view of the ocean and reef and it's a place you don't want to miss.

Then there is Grabbers. Grabbers is also located on a beach, but in Fisher's Bay in the Sea of Abaco on the interior side of the island. It also has a pool, bar, loud music but not quite as frantic as Nippers and is a little more geezer friendly (unless of course you're one of those geezers that want to video dancing bikinis). We went there on a Monday, so it was pretty quiet, but we had a beautiful view of the bay and Leeway at anchor (see lead picture). I'm sure that on a weekend it's a hopping place as well.

We rented a golf cart while we were at Great Guana so that we could explore the entire island. It is very picturesque and we were glad that we had the opportunity to take it all in. There is a lot of new development on the island and that is presenting its challenges. They have just had to bring in a full time police officer to be stationed on the island. I guess that goes with progress. Regardless, the settlement is very quaint and we would certainly go back.

With a pending front coming through, we headed back to our mooring at Man O War to wait out the nasty weather. They were predicting some fairly high winds and the odd thunderstorm and Man O War is so protected, it's a great place to "hole" up. As I mentioned before, we took the mooring for a month and have used it as our base, but it is a VERY quiet island (it's too geezer friendly). In fact, it's so quiet you can hear the fish fart. Quiet is nice, but only for a while and then you need a change.

We're currently back in Marsh Harbour for a couple of days and then will be off to Hopetown. I'm really looking forward to spending some time there. It was one place that I wanted to get to a couple of years ago when Wayne was here, but we didn't have the time. We'll spend a week or so there and then start making our way slowly (and I mean slowly) north and back to the US. I have to be back to work on May 5th and that's still 55 days away (and yes, I AM COUNTING)!

One thing is for certain though - the only fine white stuff we have seen has been sand, not snow, and there better not be any left when we get back. We plan on putting some sand in our shoes to bring home with us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leeway II
Vessel Make/Model: 1984 Alberg 37' Yawl
Hailing Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
About:
Wayne & Cindy Milroy have been sailing and cruising on Lake Ontario for nearly twenty-five years. Since shortly after joining forces in life, we nurtured the dream to go cruising on our own sailboat “where the butter always melts”. [...]
Extra:
We will use this blog to share our escapades as we go wandering about. We’ll try to keep our family updated on our whereabouts and convince them that we are safe; we’ll share the excitement and wonder of our adventures with friends who supported our dreams throughout the years; and, we’ll [...]

Leeway's Crew

Who: Wayne & Cindy Milroy
Port: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
WELCOME ABOARD! Feel free to look around and enjoy yourself. We'd love to hear from you. PLEASE NOTE! The most recent posts are listed first. If you would like to follow this blog from its beginning please click on the Contents and scroll to the bottom. Early posts are located at the end of the list.
(c) 2010 Wayne & Cindy Milroy. All rights reserved