Into the Sunset

03 November 2012 | Dowry Creek Marina. Bellhaven, NC
02 November 2012 | Alligator River Marina
01 November 2012 | Coinjock, NC
14 August 2012 | Portland, ME
07 August 2012 | Booth Bay Harbor ME
04 August 2012 | Portland, ME
03 August 2012 | Portsmouth, NH
28 July 2012 | Salem, MA
26 July 2012 | Sandwich, MA
20 July 2012 | Nantucket, MA
19 July 2012 | Falmouth, MA
16 July 2012 | 41 29.3'N
13 July 2012 | 41 29.07' N
12 July 2012 | Mystic CT
09 July 2012 | 41 11.35' N
06 July 2012 | City Island, NY
01 July 2012 | Weekawken, NJ on the Hudson River
30 June 2012 | Manasquan, NJ
29 June 2012 | Atlantic City, NJ

Into New York Harbor

01 July 2012 | Weekawken, NJ on the Hudson River
Linda / Blue skies
We left the dock at 7am in order to avoid the many, many power boats that congregate by the Rail Road bridge. We were warned by the dockmaster that traffic gets very busy the later we wait. Jim guided Al Di La through the bridge opening without incident and we headed out into a calm Atlantic Ocean.
As we quickly approached New York Harbor, it was fun to watch the NYC skyline come into view. Jim was first to spy the Statue of Liberty as it appeared around the corner. The waves were messy, stirred up by ferries and power boats criss-crossing the harbor. Clouds were building and we were notified of a Severe Thunderstorm Warning as we drew closer to the marina. The view of the battery, from the water, was spectacular.
We found the “Lincoln Harbor yacht Club” easily but tying up was a job as waves bounced us around. The docks were clanging and banging against each other causing a lot of racket. I didn’t want to stay. But after we checked in we found a Houlahan’s Restaurant close by and had a beer. I felt better about it. The area was very nice with a great choice of restaurants nearby.
Getting a car was the first item on our agenda and we called a taxi to take us to the airport. $50 later and a few loops around the airport, we finally found Hertz. Item one checked off, we revisited Houlahan’s and ate an early dinner.
That night was rocky and noisy as the docks clunked against each other. We looked forward to a quiet Monday night in a Cherry Hill Hotel room. We checked into the Windham after Jim’s doctor appointment and then went to see “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” at our old movie theatre.
Next day was surgery for Jim, errands, haircuts, and shopping. When someone is under anesthesia they shouldn’t make any important decisions or sign important documents for 24 hours. But Jim decided to get his hair cut very short. Was it a good decision? Hmmmmm . He thought so!
Wednesday we tidied up and prepared for company. It was the fourth of July and Brian Summers Dana, and little Alex joined us to watch the fireworks display over the Hudson River. It was fantastic! Too beautiful to describe. There were four barges in the Hudson, two directly across from our marina. We were able to see fireworks from all four barges at the same time. And the New York Skyline was in the back ground!
Thursday we took the ferry into Manhatten and grabbed a quick dinner in Times Square. We lined up for ‘last minute tickets’ to “Nice Work if You Can Get It” with Matthew Broderick. It was a great show. The costumes were beautiful. Afterwards we had coffee, then headed back via the ‘ferry bus’. Another noisy night at the marina made us glad we were moving on the next morning.
Comments
Vessel Name: Al Di La
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 45cc
Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Crew: Jim and Linda Dreiling
About: Cruising the East Coast and other fun places.
Extra: Tasha, our Siberian cat, will be joining us.

Retirement = Living the Dream

Who: Jim and Linda Dreiling
Port: Charleston, SC