Around The World Slowly

Just one more day here please!!!

ALEXES

Who: Jenny and Dave
Port: Sydney
13 July 2010 | Dartmouth
11 July 2010 | Weymouth
05 July 2010 | In the Hamble
28 June 2010 | Brighton
23 June 2010 | Zeebrugger Harbour
15 May 2010 | Zeebrugge (Belgium)
12 May 2010
28 April 2010
27 April 2010
21 April 2010 | Dunkerque
18 April 2010 | 50.57.782n 001.50.742e
17 April 2010 | 51.24.96n 000.44.07e
16 April 2010 | 51.30.45N 00.04.21W

Back into the Water

23 June 2010 | Zeebrugger Harbour
Jenny & David Spencer
Back in the Water.
06/23/2010
The travel hoist in Zeebruge has to travel along public roads for 500 metres and then go down the boat ramp and enter the water up to 2 metres before being able to launch us. Even though there were no parking signs along our intended route two cars were illegally parked, the police were called and two hours later with us still high and dry on the lift, a tow truck towed them away. As we were only able to enter the water close to high tide we only had a twenty minute window remaining. The hoist lowered us into the water and we tried to hold Alexes straight within the sling. We couldn't believe the current as the bow was being swept to starboard even with the bow thruster working overtime. The hoist operator was shouting as us to keep the boat straight when in finally dawned that the bow thruster's props had been replaced back to front and were pushing us further to starboard when we wanted to go to port. Now a simple matter to straighten up and proceed gently forward with ego bruised. The crowd of onlookers dispersed and the boatyard rewired the controls to compensate for the reversed props. They assure us that the props are identical so that thrust will be the same. We will see.

The trip back to the UK was uneventful so we stopped at Oostende overnight then to Boulogne for two nights then 60 odd miles to Brighton. Crossing the TSS (shipping lanes) at right angles added another ten miles to our trip and caused a few more grey hairs. The ships seem to travel in groups of four and dodging behind them isn't easy.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alexes
Vessel Make/Model: Taswell
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Jenny and Dave
Extra: We Departed Sydney Jan 2004 bound for NZ and Fiji. We joined the Blue Water Rally at Cairns QLD in Sept 2006 and have been sailing around the MED for the last few years before venturing up to UK and Holland.

ALEXES

Who: Jenny and Dave
Port: Sydney