Cruising on Alexia

An informal update of our travels for Family and Friends

05 September 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
27 June 2013
20 June 2013 | William wears kneepads to protect from the heat of the deck
17 June 2013 | Torrential rain for six hours
13 June 2013 | Herring Bay off Chesapeake Bay
08 June 2013 | Miles River, Maryland
08 June 2013 | Amelia at the helm with a helping hand from DAD
28 May 2013 | Just a short half mile journey across the River
27 May 2013 | Free dockage at the city marina
24 May 2013 | Narrow and shallow
24 May 2013 | Visitor Centre Dock
24 May 2013 | We're at the top
24 May 2013 | Going up
24 May 2013 | The gates close behind us

A short trip home

05 September 2013
Mid July – mid September
With Alexia now out of the water until early September I took the opportunity to hurtle home for a few weeks in the UK.

My arrival coincided with my brother Jim's garden party at his lovely house near Braintree, Essex. Always great fun - lively, lots of food and an opportunity to catch up on the family headlines of the last year but this was a challenge - with three sisters and a brother, 11 nephews and nieces, and 21 great nephews and nieces the information overload was more than I could handle.

It was also my sister Jan's 70th birthday at the end of August - amazing how the passing years have no effect whatsoever on the giggling and silly jokes that emerge when we all get together.

In between time was taken up with downsizing our storage container, disposing of William's wine cellar, dentist, optician, medical overhaul and clothes shopping - charity shops only, as all my sisters are avid purveyors of the 'pre-loved' clothes market!

The time passed so quickly and before long I was booking my return flight to the USA. Apologies to all the friends I did not see when I was home

William remained in the USA to see through the work and upgrades that were taking place. Having made many friends with cruisers in the marina his social life took off - big time!

He had planned to book into the local motel whilst Alexia was on the hard but a wonderful couple Richard & Carol, whose yacht 'Key Lime' had been a short distance from Alexia before she was taken ashore, offered him the keys to their boat insisting that he used it has his 'pad' whilst they were away for a few months on business and family events.

'Key Lime' is a beautiful 31ft H T Gozzard and even though she was eleven feet shorter than Alexia - she was surprisingly roomy down below and the perfect bachelor pad!
Vessel Name: Alexia
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 42 built in 1998. She's extremely comfortable aboard with two ensuite cabins. Endless useful equipment like microwave, bilge pump counter, bowthrusters, Mastervolt generator, air conditioning, 12v freezer,
Hailing Port: London, United Kingdom
Crew: William Spouse and Frances Rogers
About: William has been a competitive sailor most of his life and introduced Frances to the boating life 29 years ago. In that time they have chartered many sailboats in Europe and the Caribbean finally purchasing Alexia in 2007.