SV Alex II

Te kore te wiwia

16 March 2012
25 February 2012
31 January 2012
05 January 2012
02 January 2012
02 January 2012 | La Paz, Mexico
24 December 2011
11 December 2011 | La Paz area
23 November 2011 | La Paz
17 November 2011 | La Paz
16 November 2011 | La paz
12 October 2011 | Mazatlan
27 September 2011 | Mazatlan, Mexico
24 September 2011 | mazatlan
15 September 2011 | Mazatlan
03 September 2011 | Still mazatlan
26 August 2011
24 August 2011 | Mazatlan
21 August 2011 | Mazatlan

Mazatlan to La Paz

16 November 2011 | La paz
was good then bad then good
Mazatlan to La Paz is a complete crossing of the Sea of Cortez from East to NW. I buddy boated with Rock n Roll, a 42 foot Morgan, Russ and Janet from Texas. We set off in fine weather and virtually motored all the way across finally reaching an anchorage at Ensenada de los Meurtos, the bay of the dead. The trip across was peaceful and uneventful, two full days and one nights, so tiring. Meurtos was a great anchorage, clear water, fairly warm, lots of good snorkling and we got to visit the Stephen Games bar which was awesome. Had a great time, walks along the beach, swimming, playing cards and cooking !!!
After 4 days hanging off the anchor at Meurtos approx 10 yachts were waiting for a window to complete the final 58 miles to La paz. We had to traverse the length of the Cerralvo channel and then make a turn into the San Lorenzo channel. Whilst the Cerralvo channel is only 25-30 miles long it has strong currents, the possibility of big seas and an uncomfortable hap hazard sea state. If you get the weather right it is plain sailing. The 7 boats that left with us got it wrong.........................................we got royally bashed. 8-10 foot seas, 22 knots on the nose and some big rogues waves. Lots of green water over the bow, one came down the deck, over the dodger, across the top of the bimini and landed in the dingy strapped to the davits on the stern. It was 8 hours of pure hell and high water. Fortunately at the end of the Cerralvo Channel we had to make a 90 degree turn which meant we got hoist a small amount of headsail and calm the motion down. Once through the main channel bouys of the Lorenzo channel we made for a sheltered anchorage called Caleta Lobos. Once inside it was all majestic and calm. My buddy boat Rock n Roll suffered a little engine problem and at one point I thought I would have to turn back to offer moral assistance, they were truly getting hammered.
Lobos was a great anchorage, went trekking , swimming and snorkeling. Stayed a couple of days and then made the short hop to La Paz. A quick 2 hour motor up well marked channel to arrive at the marina. Am on the hook just outside the marina. Cheap living........no marina fees other than 22 US$ a month to use the dingy dock. Fortunately it rained after tow days and washed all the salt off the boat, saved the need to go into the marina for a few days to hose off the boat. I ran out of fresh water so jerry jugged water back to the boat each day. Fixed a pressure water pump that had knocked out the water system and generally had a tidy up. La Paz is a great place, everything close. There is a wholoe heap of people here and the anchorage or channel is full. Experienced the La Paz "waltz" the second night here. It is truely weird..........The tide and current is sometimes stronger than the prevailing wind so instead of the bow facing into the wind, it sometimes faces into the current. It effects each boat differently so you end up with boats facing different directions, sometimes bumping into each other. When you are used to seeing all the boats at anchor facing the same direction to see them facing different directions is really odd. There are lots of Baha Ha ha boats here and a few Puddle jumpers. It's getting a bit chilly in the mornings and evenings but a nice 80 degrees during the day. Going to have to decide what to do next, will stay this side and meet up with Scott and Monica from Scott free at the end of Nov and may well go back across the Sea to La Cruz for dec, jan , feb. Not sure yet. Have friends spread out all over the Sea and south to La Cruz.
The Rock n Rollers are staying put for a while, they are done with over night crossings and anything more than 4 hours sail !!! They have thrown the big anchor out and this will be home for a while.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alex II
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passge 42
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand - Aotearoa
Crew: Kevan Draper
About: Preparation for Puddle Jump in 2013/14 . Plan is to take yacht through the Pacific to Australia after crusing the Gulf of California/Sea of Cortez/ Central America/ then jump from Panama to the Galipagos, Tahiti on westward
Extra: Crew positions available.

Alex II

Who: Kevan Draper
Port: Auckland, New Zealand - Aotearoa
Aotearoa - The land of the long white cloud
To new days, new challenges, new friends and reaching dry land