Gone Sailing on Alizé

Our trip to find the sun. If we get lost we will just pull in somewhere and ask directions.

24 November 2013 | Bitter End
18 November 2013 | Crown Bay
18 November 2013 | Brewer's Bay St Thomas VI
11 November 2013 | Norfolk
03 November 2013 | Portsmouth
01 November 2013 | Portsmouth VA
21 October 2013 | Fishing Bay south to Norfolk
18 October 2013 | Coming down the Bay
12 October 2013 | Dennis Point MD
11 October 2013 | Dennis Point Marina, Maryland
24 August 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
24 August 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
09 January 2011 | Stock Island Fl
08 January 2011 | Stock Island
27 December 2010 | Key West
25 December 2010 | Key West
18 December 2010 | Flemming Key
17 December 2010 | Key West
05 December 2010 | Ft Lauderdale

Living large under the travelift. The view never changes.

11 October 2013 | Dennis Point Marina, Maryland
John
Getting a boat ready to go to sea is a task. We will be gone for seven months so we have to prepare the boat both structurally and for living aboard all of that time. We have to decide what we will eat and then buy locally what we either can't get overseas or what is too expensive to buy away from home. Think about your favorite cereal or hot sauce. Even though the rest of the world shops and eats just like us they may not stock what we want. So we load the boat with those "can't do without" provisions.
We also have to prepare the boat mechanically. Since our last cruise to Bermuda in 2012 the boat has not been used very often. Things aboard a boat don't like disuse and punish you for inattention. In the past few months we have served at the pleasure of the boat. Here is a brief list of what we have had to do to get ready for cruising.
Replace all of the house batteries and rewire the battery room. Install a new generator with more power so the morning coffee crowd can have their coffee and toast at the same time without blowing a fuse. It will also run the entire air conditioning system and charge the battery banks at the same time. Replace the broken wind instrument and the inoperative tricolor/anchor light. Sounds simple but that took us several weeks of running new wires in the mast, looking for shorted wires and awaiting use of the man lift so we could work at the top of the mast. Our mast is 65 feet tall and to be safe you can only work at the top in light winds. We installed a fresh water flush toilet which allowed us to use the old toilet's raw water intake for the watermaker. We had been using the air conditioning raw water intake for the watermaker but we needed to use that one for the new generator. There is a lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul on the boat.
We also reran watermaker plumbing so we could fill the starboard water tanks from the water maker. That allows us to fill all four 50 gallon tanks from the water maker. While we were working on the water maker we also ran new wiring to the watermaker and re-commissioned it. We use a Spectra Catalina watermaker which produces about 13 gallons an hour of pure water from salt water
I'll keep the list short so we can jump ahead to moving the boat to Dennis Point, Maryland to be hauled to paint the bottom and put in a new thru hull for the air conditioning so it will have a raw water supply of its own. We left Norfolk on a beautiful fall day, mid 80's and wind from the southwest. By the time we got to the Potomac it was blowing 40 with driving rain as a nor'easter arrived to ruin our painting and hole drilling plans. We have been sitting up on the hard for three days now watching it rain. You can't put on bottom paint in the rain, but you can do the prep work of sanding and taping. The problem is that it is cold also so when you get wet in the rain you really come to despise boat repair or as Joan puts it "I hate this boat." While we are here we have to sand and paint the sail drives and polish the props along with installing new zincs. Our sail drives are aluminum, yes aluminum, and King Neptune has aluminum for dinner every night for a bedtime snack. Zinc is a less noble element than aluminum and we try to fool Neptune by offering up the sacrificial zincs instead. Instead of just clamping them on like shaft owning mono hullers do, we have to pay our dues by removing the entire prop and hub assembly to get to the inside zincs. It is the price we pay for sailing flat.
The dogs are bored and wet, we are grumpy and wet and the boat is just plain wet. The forecast is for three more days of rain. No internet, poor phone service and the marina restaurant is closed for the season. Help!
Comments
Vessel Name: Alizé
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 421
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: John Frazee, Joan Scholl with Sailor & Gracie, the boat dogs
About: John, Joan, Gracie and Sailor are searching for their endless summer aboard their Lagoon 421, Alize.
Alizé's Photos - Main
The plan is to never have to wear a coat again. Here it is from start to finish.
23 Photos
Created 15 October 2013
In July of 2012 it was time to paint the hull for the first tome since we bought the boat. I sailed up to Dennis Point Marina in St Mary's MD and had the boat hauled there. It was an exptremely tight fit in the 75 ton Acme lift.
28 Photos
Created 24 August 2012
We aimed for the BVI and ended up in Key West, but it wasn't all bad.
20 Photos
Created 24 August 2012
Harborfest combined with OpSail to celebrate 200 yeaars since the War of 1812. We sailed in the Parade behind Eagle & Godspeed.
40 Photos
Created 24 August 2012
Sailor & Gracie, our miniture poodles sail with us where ever we go.
8 Photos
Created 24 August 2012
Sailing to Bermuda August 4 - Aug 15, 2012
20 Photos
Created 24 August 2012