The Adventure Continues

02 April 2017
27 February 2017
10 April 2016 | Hopetown, Elbow Cay, Abacos
19 March 2016 | Marsh Harbor, Abacos
12 March 2016 | Marsh Harbor, Abacos
22 March 2015 | Charlotte Harbor
10 March 2015
17 February 2015 | Marco Island, FL
29 January 2015 | Fort Pierce, FL
02 April 2014
15 March 2014 | Key West, FL
14 March 2014 | Sombrero Reef
26 February 2014 | Boot Key Harbor
17 February 2014
09 February 2014 | Fort Lauderdal, FL
06 May 2013 | Harbortown Marina, Fort Pierce, FL
22 April 2013 | Fort Pierce, FL
21 April 2013 | Manjack Cay
11 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor, Abacos

We're Finally in Marathon

26 February 2014 | Boot Key Harbor
We made it. Finally, we arrived in Marathon after three weeks of travel and delays. But enough of that, we are here in Marathon. Also note, the vessel in the picture above is NOT in Marathon.

February 23rd: After leaving Fort Lauderdale, we sailed/motored down to Miami and then to Key Biscayne via the Atlantic. It was a nondescript journey that took us about six hours. We wanted to anchor in No Name Harbor, a great little area in the Bill Baggs State Park, BUT, because it was Sunday, the place was overflowing with locals who came to party. So we anchored outside of No Name Harbor. It was a beautiful night. At the tip of Florida it gets so dark at night, you can see stars all the way to the horizon. In the distance were the stilt houses that were built in the 20s during prohibition. These stilt houses were supposed to be bait stores and fishing supply places. In reality, they formed the epicenter of Florida's boot leg empire. They were virtually immune to prosecution because the g-men didn't have boats to bust them. These stilt houses still remain and are now designated as historic sites. Pretty interesting.

February 24th: Overnight, the wind shifted as seems typical in anchorages, and left us exposed to the waves from Biscayne Bay. It was okay although it was a little bouncy. We left early to head down the Keys to Rodriguez Key near Key Largo. Rodriguez is where the Keys curve to the West. It is also the first place you anchor in where the water is so clear you can see the anchor hit the sand in 10 feet of water. We've stayed there three times now and each time has been a wonderful experience. Solar panels are still not working but we're fine for just one overnight.

February 25th: We got up early, anxious to get to Marathon. It was a longer leg than I remembered from two years ago, but the water was like glass and our seven and a half hour journey was smooth and comfortable. We saw more crab pots that required us to drive around than we've seen this whole trip. I was tempted to snag one and see what kind of crab we would have for dinner. If I was sure they contained Stone Crab, I might have done that. We arrived in Marathon at 3pm (1500 hours) and found out that they had no mooring balls available. We were put on a waiting list, not a big deal since we were number three, and were able to get a slip at Sombrero Marina, the funkiest place in all of Marathon.

February 26: It was now time to tackle the solar panel problem. As luck would have it, the only certified solar panel repair facility in all of the Keys was only five minutes away. Fernando showed up around 11 am and after about an hour found the problem. Where the power cables from the three solar panels came together and were combined into one big power cable that went to the regulator and the batteries, well that junction was burned to a crisp. Good old salt corrosion had deteriorated the connector bus and shorted out everything. Shortly thereafter, Fernando had plenty of power coming in to the boat from the solar panels. Things are looking up.

We should be getting a mooring ball in a day or two but it's no big deal. When we do, we'll be paying $241 per month for a ball which includes great bathroom and shower facilities, wifi, and free pump outs once a week. The pump out boat comes to you and pumps you out if you need it or not.

In future posts I'll tell you more about the experience that is Boot Key Harbor in Marathon. Stay tuned for more stories about the place where old hippies go to die. Also, check out the photo gallery for some recent pics.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alize
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Fort Pierce, FL
Crew: Dick & Peggy Dragonette
About: Dick and Peg have been sailing for over 25 years on Lake Erie, the Atlantic, in the Caribbean and the Bahamas. We brought our vessel from Sandusky, OH to Florida in 2011 and now alternate between our home in Chagrin Falls in Ohio during the Summer and our boat in Ft. Pierce, FL in the Winter.
Alize's Photos - Main
The water doesn't get any bluer and the sand doesn't get any softer.
33 Photos
Created 2 April 2017
Havana and Veradero
34 Photos
Created 26 February 2017
Stuff we've seen in the states and the Bahamas.
7 Photos
Created 10 April 2016
He's an institution in the Bahamas
9 Photos
Created 19 March 2016
Our first two weeks in paradise with our friend Wendell
9 Photos
Created 12 March 2016
7 Photos
Created 22 March 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 March 2015
13 Photos
Created 17 February 2015
Our good friend Lee and Bahamas friends Ed and Chris meet in Ft. Pierce.
5 Photos
Created 29 January 2015
14 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
15 Photos
Created 15 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 14 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 26 February 2014
Chapter 3 of our ongoing adventure.
5 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
A Presidential Yacht pays a visit
5 Photos
Created 6 May 2013
On the way home.
11 Photos
Created 21 April 2013
Conch
4 Photos
Created 11 April 2013
A different view of Hopetown
10 Photos
Created 10 April 2013
Awaiting the arrival of our friends from Granville, OH
5 Photos
Created 9 April 2013
Views from around the harbor.
7 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
Great Guana is a very large and varied island/cay. Beautiful
6 Photos
Created 22 March 2013
Another look at a place worthy of second looks
7 Photos
Created 21 March 2013
First views of Hopetown
7 Photos
Created 14 March 2013
Staying at Mango's
5 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
Boasting one of the most beautiful beaches in the world
4 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
A very beautiful stop on our way to Marsh Harbor
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2013
5 Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Our first pics on the way and in Grand Bahama
10 Photos
Created 26 February 2013
Alize getting ready for launch the second week of January.
3 Photos
Created 6 December 2012