The Adventure Continues

02 April 2017
27 February 2017
10 April 2016 | Hopetown, Elbow Cay, Abacos
19 March 2016 | Marsh Harbor, Abacos
12 March 2016 | Marsh Harbor, Abacos
22 March 2015 | Charlotte Harbor
10 March 2015
17 February 2015 | Marco Island, FL
29 January 2015 | Fort Pierce, FL
02 April 2014
15 March 2014 | Key West, FL
14 March 2014 | Sombrero Reef
26 February 2014 | Boot Key Harbor
17 February 2014
09 February 2014 | Fort Lauderdal, FL
06 May 2013 | Harbortown Marina, Fort Pierce, FL
22 April 2013 | Fort Pierce, FL
21 April 2013 | Manjack Cay
11 April 2013 | Marsh Harbor, Abacos

Peg/Marg Speaks

22 April 2013 | Fort Pierce, FL
We had a wonderful time in the Bahamas and Dick has done a great job with the blog. Most of it was true. Since it was our first time in the Bahamas, it was an especially extraordinary trip and I thought I'd add my two cents worth titled:

Things I learned in the Bahamas

1. We kept seeing people that we knew. Many of them we met in Florida and some we met on our trip down in 2011. That was a nice surprise.
2. Channel markers are rare even in shallow areas where you have to stay in the channel. The most challenging area was the Indian Cut because you have to make several turns to stay in the channel. The cruising guide actually shows a picture of the markers that were there before they were destroyed by the hurricane in 2006. No, they have not been replaced.
3. When in the shallows, you steer via GPS waypoints. It works.
4. Water depths in our Explorer charts are noted in meters. Our boat draws 1.524 meters.
5. Provisions are more expensive, but overall, not as bad as we thought they would be. Some things are very extremely more expensive. A case of beer is $36-54. Liquor is cheap so it's a good idea to drink a lot of rum.
6. Bottled water is extremely expensive. A case of drinking water is $14-18 so we often filled our water bottles with water at the marinas. Since there's no natural water source, much of it is the result of reverse osmosis, basically desalinization. It tastes a little salty, like they need to reverse the osmosis a little longer.
7. Believe it or not, marinas are generally less expensive than in the states. Mangoes Marina in Marsh Harbor, one of our favorites, costs less than half of what it costs to stay at Portside Marina on Kelly's Island.
8. Always call a fuel dock before you go to fill up. They may be out of fuel as the boat to fill their tanks may have been delayed. We carried three 5 gallon cans of diesel and one 5 gallon can of gas for the outboard on the dinghy. That was plenty and we never had any problems.
9. There are no pump out stations. The best option is to dump your holding tanks near the passages to the Atlantic. I try not to think about this since it grosses me out.
10. Marsh Harbor/Hopetown has a cruiser's net on VHF channel 68 at 8:15 daily. If you've never experienced a cruiser's net, it's like a boater's meeting except everyone is on their boat. It's a great way to get updates on weather and activities in the area.
11. Buying a BTC (Bahamian Telecommunications Company) cell phone with pre-paid minutes was the cheapest option for calling home. Texting was even cheaper. "Topping off" (buying additional minutes) can be done at grocery stores, except in Hopetown, where it can be done at the liquor store or Captain Jacks, a bar.
12. Connecting to the internet was challenging. Marinas and coffee shops have wifi but, of course, band width is limited and many boaters are trying to connect. We also subscribed to OII (Out Island Internet) wifi. That cost $100 per month and also worked sometimes. That seemed expensive but the days we could Skype with our grandkids from an anchorage was worth a million bucks to me.
13. For weather reports, when we were too far to connect to the Marsh Harbor Cruisers Net, we used Passage Maker and Barometer Bob, however both are internet dependent. When we didn't have the internet and were too far to get a report on VHF, we used our single sideband radio (the marine equivalent of a ham radio). I admit I used to just dust this radio and had no idea how it worked. Now it's my new best friend.
14. American and Bahamian dollars are at parity and are interchangeable. No one seems to care that you are paying with money from another country. Mix and match.
15. Green Turtle Key has a marina with a very elegant restaurant, The Green Turtle Club. The chef is very creative and there is a dress code, "smart casual". When we registered at the office, the marina staff told us we were dressed just fine for dinner. We were wearing foul weather gear as we had just sailed there in the rain.
16. No shoes, no shirt, no problem.
17. The First Caribbean Bank, the bank in Hopetown, is only open on Tuesdays 10-2, and there are no ATMs. No problem. We enjoyed talking with all the other boaters and locals when we were standing in line.
18. The post office on Man-O-War Cay is open M-F 9-4, except that the lady who works there might leave for a while to do something else. Mailing a package home takes 4-5 weeks.
19. If you're on Man-O-War Cay and don't have any luck fishing, talk to Fred whose dad owns the hardware store. He fishes almost every day and will drop off a fresh catch to your boat. I have his work and home number. He gets off work at 3.
20. Manjack Cay is a private island with a great anchorage. Trespassers are welcome. The owners have placed several colorful hand painted signs directing visitors to the ocean beach.
So life is different in the Bahamas and despite some inconveniences, we really enjoyed our trip. We plan to go back again next year.
Comments
Vessel Name: Alize
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Fort Pierce, FL
Crew: Dick & Peggy Dragonette
About: Dick and Peg have been sailing for over 25 years on Lake Erie, the Atlantic, in the Caribbean and the Bahamas. We brought our vessel from Sandusky, OH to Florida in 2011 and now alternate between our home in Chagrin Falls in Ohio during the Summer and our boat in Ft. Pierce, FL in the Winter.
Alize's Photos - Main
The water doesn't get any bluer and the sand doesn't get any softer.
33 Photos
Created 2 April 2017
Havana and Veradero
34 Photos
Created 26 February 2017
Stuff we've seen in the states and the Bahamas.
7 Photos
Created 10 April 2016
He's an institution in the Bahamas
9 Photos
Created 19 March 2016
Our first two weeks in paradise with our friend Wendell
9 Photos
Created 12 March 2016
7 Photos
Created 22 March 2015
16 Photos
Created 10 March 2015
13 Photos
Created 17 February 2015
Our good friend Lee and Bahamas friends Ed and Chris meet in Ft. Pierce.
5 Photos
Created 29 January 2015
14 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
6 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
15 Photos
Created 15 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 14 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 26 February 2014
Chapter 3 of our ongoing adventure.
5 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
A Presidential Yacht pays a visit
5 Photos
Created 6 May 2013
On the way home.
11 Photos
Created 21 April 2013
Conch
4 Photos
Created 11 April 2013
A different view of Hopetown
10 Photos
Created 10 April 2013
Awaiting the arrival of our friends from Granville, OH
5 Photos
Created 9 April 2013
Views from around the harbor.
7 Photos
Created 26 March 2013
Great Guana is a very large and varied island/cay. Beautiful
6 Photos
Created 22 March 2013
Another look at a place worthy of second looks
7 Photos
Created 21 March 2013
First views of Hopetown
7 Photos
Created 14 March 2013
Staying at Mango's
5 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
Boasting one of the most beautiful beaches in the world
4 Photos
Created 8 March 2013
A very beautiful stop on our way to Marsh Harbor
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2013
5 Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Our first pics on the way and in Grand Bahama
10 Photos
Created 26 February 2013
Alize getting ready for launch the second week of January.
3 Photos
Created 6 December 2012