On the Water with All Hanz On Deck

This blog will offer an account of the voyage of two couples and a dog aboard a 33' express cruiser from Occoquan, VA, outside Washington, DC to Palmetto, FL on the Gulf Coast. This journey is due to start June 17, 2011.

26 September 2011
03 July 2011 | Palmetto, FL
01 July 2011 | Rialto Harbor, Alva, Florida
30 June 2011 | Stuart to Clewiston, FL
29 June 2011 | Cocoa to Stuart, FL
28 June 2011 | Daytona Beach to Cocoa
27 June 2011 | Jacksonville to Daytona Beach
26 June 2011 | Isle of Palms, SC
26 June 2011 | Hilton Head Island, SC
23 June 2011 | South Carolina - FINALLY
23 June 2011 | the ICW North Carolina
21 June 2011 | Southport, NC
20 June 2011 | The ICW Great Dismal Swamp Route
20 June 2011 | Belmont Bay Harbor, VA
20 June 2011 | Elizabeth City to Bellhaven, NC
20 June 2011 | Morehead City, NC
13 June 2011 | Belmont Bay Harbor, VA
09 June 2011 | Belmont Bay Harbor, VA
09 June 2011 | Belmont Bay Harbor, VA

Day XI

27 June 2011 | Jacksonville to Daytona Beach
Don
The day started out under overcast skies but by late morning we were back in the bright Florida sunshine. The best thing about being in a boat is the natural "air conditioning" as you cruise down the river. The first part of this leg took us through a 10-mile serpentine channel that is lined with small houses and campsites. Although we were not in a No Wake zone we would routinely reduce power to respect kayakers and fishermen. A quick refueling stop at the St. Augustine Municipal Marina found a crew working on a replica pirate vessel. The ship's store had the usual marina supplies plus a plethora of pirate gear. A family putted their way through the miniature golf course and we were able to see two openings of the Bridge of Lions. Soon after departing the bustling St. Augustine harbor we were in a maze of sand banks in the Matanzas River where the remains of the nearly 500 year-old Fort Matanzas can be seen from the water. Reports of severe shoaling in the Matanzas and the "land cuts" that followed forced us to run at No Wake speed for more than ten miles. The coastal communities of Flagler Beach and Ormond Beach revealed stunning architecture and gave us an opportunity to push AHOD to cruising speed. We soon reached the northern boundary of Daytona Beach and experienced deja vu when coming upon Caribbean Jack's restaurant and the adjacent Loggerhead Marina. It was at Loggerhead where we were introduced to World Headquarters - now All Hanz On Deck - a little more than four years ago. With storm clouds ahead we decided to pull into Caribbean Jack's for a late lunch of Gator Bites and Peel 'n Eat Shrimp along with the requisite Adult Beverage. Upon seeing the sunshine we returned to the boat thinking we would be pushing on for another hour or so to New Smyrna Beach, but threatening skies on the horizon made us rethink the plan and we pulled into Halifax Harbor Marina - WOW - nearly 600 slips within two basins. Large enough to have three bathhouses and laundry rooms, RV and trailer storage, boat ramp, a West Marine and a Fire Department on site. But we are looking forward to the walk to the nearby 7-11 for an opportunity to replenish our dwindling provisions. However that will have to wait until the storm clouds pass. Tomorrow, we should pass through Cocoa (perhaps we'll run into Major Anthony Nelson and Jeannie) and Melbourne. It's only an 88 mile run, but the Manatee and Bridge No Wake zones are plentiful here, with a maximum speed of 25 mph. And we have yet to see a Manatee.
Comments
Vessel Name: All Hanz On Deck
Vessel Make/Model: Chaparral Signature 310
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Don, Judi, Jack & Susanne (and Commander Chloe)
About:
After nearly 21 years in Fairfax, VA, vessel owners Don & Judi are making a pre-retirement move to Palmetto, FL. This also involves the relocation of All Hanz On Deck, a Chaparral Signature 310 Express Cruiser. [...]
Extra:
MMSI - 338087931 LOA - 33' 4.5" Beam 10' 7.5" Bridge Clearance - 15' Deadrise - 18 Degrees Fuel Capacity - 147 Gallons Twin 275HP Volvo-Penta Gas Engines Draft-Up - 25" Draft-Down - 33" Water Capacity - 29 Gal Holding Tank - 28 Gal Cabin Headroom - 6' 6" Sleeping Capacity - 5 Passenger [...]

About

Who: Don, Judi, Jack & Susanne (and Commander Chloe)
Port: Chicago, IL