Almost There

Family on extended circumnavigation

Vessel Name: Almost There
Vessel Make/Model: Dean Catamaran 1981 Ocean Comber
Hailing Port: Durban South Africa
Crew: Albert Cathy Michelle Daniel Samantha Alchin
About: Family travelling around the world together. Presently in Mill Creek Annapolis
Extra: On an adventure to see as much as we can and make friends wherever we go
18 September 2009
18 September 2009 | Antigua to Dominica
27 August 2009 | Dominica to Grenada
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2009

January to April 2009

We have snatches of signal so I don't know when you will get this. It was midday Saturday 16 May when we were in the Saints, a group of 4 islands just less than half way between Guadeloupe and Dominica. 15 52 27N 61 35 10W if you are on Google or looking at a map. But now it is Tuesday 19 May and [...]

18 September 2009 | Antigua to Dominica

April May 2009

The Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta is an international regatta and took place from the 16th to the 21st of April. There were about 70 yachts participating. Michelle and I were involved as volunteers and manned the hospitality desk each day and then helped with other activities before and after the 'normal' [...]

27 August 2009 | Dominica to Grenada

June July 2009

Part of the rest of our time spent in Dominica was taken up by a lovely walk up into the mountains to the source of a small river where we had our picnic lunch in the shade of some very large wild fig trees growing on the edge of the riverbed. While we were there the farmer through who's property it [...]

January to April 2009

18 September 2009
We have snatches of signal so I don't know when you will get this. It was midday Saturday 16 May when we were in the Saints, a group of 4 islands just less than half way between Guadeloupe and Dominica. 15 52 27N 61 35 10W if you are on Google or looking at a map. But now it is Tuesday 19 May and we are in Prince Rupert Bay Dominica....no it is now Thursday 21 May and we are still here in Dominica till after the 30th of May.....no its not.... now it is Monday 25 May....
I think I last wrote a long email when we returned to Antigua from Montserrat in January, and now it is already half way through May... unbelieveable!
These last four months have been so incredibly busy I really don't know where to start ... If we go back to January, Daniel started a new job on another yacht called 'Orchestra', then we sailed to Montserrat in order to renew our visa's for Antigua. Once back in Antigua we sailed around to English Harbour again and when we had a few days without work we sailed around to Indian Creek (to the east of English harbour and spent a night or two there all alone in the bay surrounded on one side by dry hills and the other side by mangroves.
Then it was back to English harbour where we decided to anchor near the beach. The wind was howling in gusts so we put out a stern anchor because our neighbour also had a stern anchor out. A little later another yacht arrived and dropped its anchor (unbeknown to us, over our stern anchor) Somewhere in the very early hours of the next morning we dragged and just touched the big steel boat next to us (no damage to either) so we spent the rest of the night pushing ourselves away from the boat as we could not lift our stern anchor and of course the motors wouldn't start. Once the sun was up and the batteries charged a bit we were able to start the engines. The boat whose anchor was over ours also dragged and our stern anchor was free, so off we went and reanchored a little further along the coast near the cliff where we anchored before, but as luck would have it, with the strong gusty winds we dragged there as well. Next morning same thing again, anchor up ... move along and drop anchor again, and yet again that night we dragged... it doesn't happen in the daytime while you are watching of course. So next day this bunch of exhausted and irritated boaties upped anchor and moved into the mangroves where we tied bow to, to the mangroves with strong ropes and put out a stern anchor......and there we stayed till the week before we left Antigua to head down island again..no more dragging...much better sleeping!
Michelle, Samantha and I did a bit of day work over the next two months trying desperately to get enough together to attend Candy and Christi's wedding in Cape Town. Al also had a job looking after someone elses boat while he was away. As the time got closer to the wedding I was getting desperate and knew that it would take a miracle for us to all get to the wedding. Miracles do happen and God is always good and very special, kind yachting friends helped us by booking our tickets in advance for us. To get back to SA is an issue on its own. Without US visa's we couldn't go via USA so thought we would go via UK, but as of the 3rd of March all SA's have to have a visa to transit UK. So I tried to go via South America, but to do so we would have to go via Miami....so that couldn't work. Then our special friends found out that SA's are able to transit Germany for 24 hours without a visa. So the trip went from Antigua to Venezuela (Margarita island), Frankfurt, Dubai and then on to Cape Town and back the same way.
I left on 9 March to be able to help Candy a bit with the final preparations for the wedding. Al and the girls left on the 23 of March. The time before the wedding certainly kept us busy... what with dress fittings, last minute shopping, flowers to be chosen and ordered etc etc there wasn't much free time. I was very blessed to be able to go to Vanwyksdorp and see most of my family and friends there. It was heartwarming to see that Oasis is looking so good and that there is still plenty of action there. Also that our old home and grounds are so pretty. And that most are still in good health and looking well. (Thank you for the warm welcomes that I received there) Pat and John were our geneous and loving hosts and it was wonderful to spend a bit of time with them again. It is only so sad that there was so little time.
While Candy and I visited in Vanwyksdorp Christi headed down to George for a job interview and a week later we were very pleased to hear that he had the job. Then it was back to Cape Town and preparations of which there are always plenty. Then Al and the girls arrived and the tempo was increased as they also had to have dress fittings and get a few items such as shoes for the wedding. All the while we were staying with Christine and George - our new inlaws - who are some of the most generous, helpful and kind people we have had the pleasure of staying with. Somewhere between the girls arriving and the wedding we also managed to squeeze in a kitchen tea with family and friends (who all contributed to make it such a success).. and had Candy stuff all the wrapping paper into the oversized clothes she was wearing.... quite a sight! and also visit my sisters Joy and Gayl and their families. We also had the privilege of attending church a few times in Cape Town and meeting up with many of our friends there.
My big 'job' for the wedding was making and icing the wedding cake and I am pleased to say, it did not collapse and looked pretty good and Candy was happy, so that made me happy too. The day before the wedding we all went to the hall to set up. Christi's family friends who made the dresses (Rosemarie) and did the flowers (Ethna) did a wonderful job and were such a help throughout the time we were there.
The day of the wedding arrived, rehearsal took place early then the last few things were taken to the hall and then it was time to get ready. The girls went from the rehearsal directly to Ethna's house to get ready and by the time I got there to get dressed, the three of them looked like models. Beautifully made up and once dressed ... oh so pretty. To all those in any way involved in the wedding who receive this email, THANK YOU for everything. Then it was photo's (Lize and Darren) and off to the church.
The ceremony was very meaningful and from feedback afterwards many felt it was one of the best they had attended, our thanks to Bob Klynsmith for conducting it. The bride and groom looking so happy together and smiling as only they can. Marriage is a wonderful thing and we pray the two of them will have a long and happy life together.
The reception was also very pleasant. Franzu was the MC and certainly did a good job getting the speeches to fit in so well with the serving of the food, which was abundant and verytasty .There was no shortage of something to drink, but to actually get a chance to eat and drink was difficult because it was so wonderful to see our family and friends again that talking took up most of the time. 5 of the 6 of us (my brothers and sisters) were able to attend the wedding unfortunately Andre and family were not able to make it, and on Al's side two of his brothers were there. His sisters are both far away, Vilma in Durban and Doreen in China teaching English and brother Alan in Namibia. It was great to meet many of Christi's family as well at the wedding and during the preparation time. Then the day we had planned for so long was over. So it was clean up and then home to bed, still so hyped up from everything.
Next morning it was up early again to the next very special ceremony... Samantha was baptized... What a wonderful thing to have, a wedding and a baptism in one weekend! We spent a few hours with the Couto's, Granny Grace and Bob catching up on the last 2 years that we have been away.
Monday had us taking a trip up to Saldanha to see Willie (unfortunately Lynette was away) who sailed around the world in 1999-2001 in a catamaran like ours and who was so helpful and a source of good advice before we left. Then popped in to the SBY club to say hi.... at least Mike was there and we could see all the improvements that have been made there. Then it was off to visit Gilbert and Alette (Al's brother and wife) then to our long time friends Brenda and Andy where we spent the night. It was great to have Mark with us as well and be able to catch up with him as well. Somewhere in the blur of the week we went to Joy again where Mark, Gayl and Janet were staying for the weekend and had a lovely 'braai' and visit with all the family.
Wednesday was Al's birthday and the day I went for my mammogram. As I said earlier God is good and this mammogram was clear so I don't have to go back for two years so that was a wonderful blessing. Oh yes, also in the previous week we had had to organise a visa for Samantha for the Netherlands Antilles and went to pick up her passport after the mammogram. Then it was off to Somerset mall to meet with yet another good friend Jane who had kindly brought us a regulator from Rod for our solar panels.( Another one of those things that gave up the ghost before we went to SA)...then before we knew it, it was Friday and time for Al and the girls to leave...and Saturday was my turn. So fast...it seemed like I just got there and it was time to go again....so hard to say goodbye again and not know when you will see family and friends again.... at least we have cell phones and email which make it a little easier.
After long flights and hours in airports we all arrived safely in Antigua on the Monday afternoon to be met at the airport by another good friend Helen who had made us food and bought us some basics ... what would life be without all the special people we know..... Then it was getting Sam ready for her new adventure.... actually, trying to extricate a few items of clothing that did not get stained from the one bottle of wine that broke in transit (you should see how the guys toss the suitcases around at the airport!!!) Next day we all went to the airport to see Samantha off. She flew to St Martin to join her new yacht 'Snow Goose' . Another goodbye! (She is safely aboard and on her way to the Bahamas as I write, to get her US visa then off to USA for the hurricane season).
Fortunately the Classic Yacht Regatta began the next day and Michelle and I were busy with that for the following week. From 7h30 till late night we were so involved that we didn't have time to brood over the fact that we were now only 3 on the yacht. After Classics we helped at the Antigua Sailing week and though we did not start so early we were still out quite late at night for many of the evenings. There is so much to tell about the regattas but this email is already too long. So what I will do is end off here and write another one from the regatta's to where we are now.
Comments

About & Links