Altair's Cruz Nuz

cruising, vb, kroozing, working on your boat in exotic locations around the Caribbean....Dudley and Becca

25 October 2012 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club
25 September 2012 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club
28 July 2011 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club!
27 July 2011 | Key Biscayne, Florida
27 July 2011 | Stiltsville and Miami just across the Bay.
27 July 2011 | Gulf Stream...
27 July 2011 | Gulf Stream, Here we come!
26 July 2011 | Sweet and Very Special Bahamas...Goodbye...for now!
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor
26 July 2011 | Gun Cay's floral gifts!
26 July 2011 | The surf at Honeymoon Harbor!
26 July 2011 | Our last island wonderland...before the Concrete Jungle....
26 July 2011 | Gun Cay...Practicing walking on land...
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor...very cool!
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor...We like it!
25 July 2011 | A very Busy Honeymoon Harbor!
25 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor, Lee side of Gun Cay
25 July 2011 | Bimini, Our Beloved Bahamas!
24 July 2011 | Bimini, Big Game Club Marina!

Meet Sir Phil!

19 April 2011 | English Harbor, Nelson's Dockyard!
Becca
We walked to English Harbor to peek at some of the boats, and it was time to get some things taken care of! Propane to pick up, laundry pic up, water for the tanks!

I've been hiking every day, doing my nature photography and getting some exercise, but today Dudley wanted to walk to English Harbor! We had some more bad fuel to discard there and while Dudley was sitting on the bench people watching I took off for a photo session. Lots of photo ops, but when I got to this wooden boat with the funky turquoise hull, I had to stop and talk! Turns out he is the well known, 'ever-ebullient' Sir Phil Kerin.

He started to tell me about how he rescued this gaff rigged schooner, and brought her back to life after 4 years of rebuilding! I stopped him and asked if I could go get Dudley so he could benefit from an obviously gifted story teller! And could he ever talk! Wow. His life story is truly jaw dropping and he had never sailed this boat prior to entering her in this Classic Regatta! There was so much of his life that he shared with us (by the way, he was leaving in 5 minutes) I wish I had written it down or recorded it! He's well known for being a talker and he has a heartwarming story of how he fell from a yard and was almost fatally injured. The folks around English Harbor admired and loved him so much they raised enough money to pay his $46,000. medical bill, restore his accounts that were closed during his coma of 15 months and even more than we could begin to remember! Would love to invite him to dinner and record all this!

It was because of his invitation that we entertained coming to the awards ceremony. His boat made it to the races, "probably came in last" but he finished putting her finishing touches just in time to be a contender.

I can see Humphrey Bogart portraying this man's life! So colorful! Such a man of the sea!

Bec
Comments
Vessel Name: Altair
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 34'
Hailing Port: Coconut Grove Sailing Club
Crew: Dudley Clark and Becky Butler
About: Dudley has owned this Tartan sloop and has been cruising on her since 1986. Becky joined the good sloop back in 2000 when we first started cruising together and he has been 'training' me ever since! I couldn't be happier! I've been sailing all my life, but cruising is a whole different fish!
Extra: This is the most extended cruise we've braved on this wonderful, old boat of ours which is planned to be about 2 years! We left Miami in late February of 2008 and want to get below the hurricane belt by the end of July! Ok, so it's July, 2011...we're close, but not home yet!

S/V ALTAIR

Who: Dudley Clark and Becky Butler
Port: Coconut Grove Sailing Club