Altair's Cruz Nuz

cruising, vb, kroozing, working on your boat in exotic locations around the Caribbean....Dudley and Becca

25 October 2012 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club
25 September 2012 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club
28 July 2011 | Coconut Grove Sailing Club!
27 July 2011 | Key Biscayne, Florida
27 July 2011 | Stiltsville and Miami just across the Bay.
27 July 2011 | Gulf Stream...
27 July 2011 | Gulf Stream, Here we come!
26 July 2011 | Sweet and Very Special Bahamas...Goodbye...for now!
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor
26 July 2011 | Gun Cay's floral gifts!
26 July 2011 | The surf at Honeymoon Harbor!
26 July 2011 | Our last island wonderland...before the Concrete Jungle....
26 July 2011 | Gun Cay...Practicing walking on land...
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor...very cool!
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor
26 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor...We like it!
25 July 2011 | A very Busy Honeymoon Harbor!
25 July 2011 | Honeymoon Harbor, Lee side of Gun Cay
25 July 2011 | Bimini, Our Beloved Bahamas!
24 July 2011 | Bimini, Big Game Club Marina!

LIVE SIMPLY so that others may SIMPLY LIVE...

01 April 2009 | Les Saints to Dominica, West Indies
Becca B., first mate, only mate
Wow, we left Les Saintes early this perfect morning with the wind and the seas out of the east. The seas were very mild and finally clocked around from the relentless north swells we had last week on anchor in Terre d'en Haut. We were really glad to be done with those because they wear you out just trying to stand, let alone catching everything that isn't stowed as if for a crossing. It's a short leg to "Dominica" with only 18nm to go... then WHAM! A squall hit us broadside when we were idylically moving along at 5.5 knots and not paying attention. We thought the rig camedown with that thunderous crack and bomb like sound from the port beam reach to a jibe! Scared the crap outta of us! It took us a while to see if we were still in one piece....



APRIL FOOLS... SYKE! It was a memorable sail and then we arrive here... in Shangrila!

No kidding, we've been on a green tour like no other. We haven't stopped since we arrived here in Dominica. It's everything and more than we've ever heard or read about this verdant wonderland. As soon as we arrived we were scooped up by a super "boat boy". He's 42 years old and looks like a boy too. We were warned that 'boatboys' were overwhelming, obnoxiously persistent and desperate for busness. We were told to ask for Martin, but we decided to go with Alexis, the first to approach us, and he's been a perfect guide. The people love their country, are extremely healthy and it oozes out of their pores with love. We have been on a nature-go-round for 10 days and will have to be torn form here for sure.

We also rented a car with Laura and Gary on S/VLucille. We had a blast covering every green inch of this island we could possibly squeeze into two days!S/V Lucille took off south on a time schedule and, darn it, more new friends to catch up with later. Since we've been here in Dominica (pronounced domineeeka), we've made it to the magnificent farmer's market which is held every Saturday; we were guided up the Indian River by Alexis and Kevin, then we entered the Syndicate Nature trail and we couldn't believe the size and scale of the vegetation here. We got a steam, sauna and facial as added perks. We also visited the Kalinago Barana Aute, (Carib Cultural Village by the Sea) where an indian guide shared how things were done long ago and are still being done today!

As if that were not enough, we drove through the Carib Indian Territory, where we met lots of proud artisans eager to sell their wares. We watched in awe as they still make canoes by hand, the jewelry made with all varieties of nature and the locals are able to create a wide array of island fare from crops galore!

For a country that is poverty striken, we were blessed to be surrounded by industrious people everywhere! It's hard to imagine that anyone could starve here! Simply AMAZING!!!!

Both the windward and leeward coasts are drop dead gorgeous! The drama is the height of the incredibly lush cliffs that drop off into these amazing shores! The islanders here are incredibly beautiful and generous as well. We've met so many wonderful Dominicans that just dropped what they were doing to help us. A 75 year old man (who looked 50) helped us carry our jerry cans full of water thru the sand to our dock, wanting nothing in return. They don't think twice about walking you to the bakery or the market because you asked for directions. Irma told me she was forty four and didn't look a day over 23. When I asked where she was going all dressed up, she said "every Saturday the young people do things for the elderly to show respect and thanks. It's a shame if they see an elder mistreated or neglected". Every 50-60 year old looks to be 35. It's a fountain of youth here! The oldest woman died at 128 years old recently and three or four people have beamed relaying the health statistics here in Shangrila. We will hold these gentle people in a special place in our hearts and do hope to return here some day!

We are heading to Martinique next! It looks like we could spend a whole lot of time there, but the Jazz Festival in St. Lucia starts early May. We want to get a good spot before all the boats arrive from all over the Caribbean for this ever growing musical event! We'll keep ya posted for sure.

More soon, Dudley and Bec
Vessel Name: Altair
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 34'
Hailing Port: Coconut Grove Sailing Club
Crew: Dudley Clark and Becky Butler
About: Dudley has owned this Tartan sloop and has been cruising on her since 1986. Becky joined the good sloop back in 2000 when we first started cruising together and he has been 'training' me ever since! I couldn't be happier! I've been sailing all my life, but cruising is a whole different fish!
Extra: This is the most extended cruise we've braved on this wonderful, old boat of ours which is planned to be about 2 years! We left Miami in late February of 2008 and want to get below the hurricane belt by the end of July! Ok, so it's July, 2011...we're close, but not home yet!

S/V ALTAIR

Who: Dudley Clark and Becky Butler
Port: Coconut Grove Sailing Club