An Altere Adventure

Tres Amigos Debacle Empieza (The Three Friends Debacle Begins)

Andrew arrived at San Diego and we shoved off shortly thereafter around 1900 Thursday and picked our way through the markers in the dark out of San Diego harbor. Everyone on board was tired from preparations or travel. We worked out a watch schedule that Andrew and John immediately ignored. Andrew worked through John's watch and vice versa.

Both John and Andrew have a lot of experience sailing and cruising. It is nice to have crew aboard that have so much experience. John has been cruising aboard his Yamaha 33 for about the last six years first in Mexico, then Hawaii, and later, back and forth between Tonga and New Zealand. He has been somewhat of a mentor (or pain in the ass) as I have gone through the learning curve of preparing a boat for long distance voyaging. He has also been somewhat of a bad influence in that he is constantly thinking of ways that I can spend more money. Andrew also has a lot of experience sailing, is very handy mechanically and with carpentry skills, and as a Naturopath, it is nice to have his medical skills on board. To top it all off, we all are good friends (or at least we are now at the start of the trip).

The night trip from San Diego to Ensenada took about 12 hours. It was clear night and the seas were reasonably calm. There was a pretty good swell running off our beam as we left San Diego, but it was somewhat predictable and not terribly uncomfortable. John reported seeing dolphins swimming near the boat on his watch. We were outside Marina Coral in Ensenada about 6:30 am. We took our time poking our way in with shallow water as the sky was lightening up at dawn. We tied up at the fuel dock and waited for the Marina Office to open.

Comments