An Altere Adventure

13-14 January 2018: Ensenada to Three Point Bank

As I write, this we are about 30 miles off the coast of Baja California and about 36 hours out of Ensenada. After a lunch of tortillas filled with a mixture of avacados, smoked marlin, and sour cream we decided to siphon one of our 5 gallon jerry jugs of diesel into the main tank. As we were doing so the wind picked up off the starboard beam and we were able to sail slowly for a couple of hours. We did have to first clean a giant piece of kelp off the rudder. The wind died again.

When we left Ensenada, we were encouraged by the opportunity to sail for about an hour and a half out of the bay around Cabo Punta Banda. The wind died and we had the motor on most all of the rest of yesterday, last night and this morning. We left the mainsail up and occasionally we unrolled the jib to motorsail. This allows us to dial back the throttle and conserve fuel.

Last evening, after my watch, I cooked up a one pot meal of panang curry with fresh tuna, sweet potato, onion and pineapple. That really hit the spot out here on the water. It seemed to make the crew happy as well. We found the tuna at the collective pescaderia in Ensenada along with the smoked marlin.

During the night we were socked in by fog. At times we were down to zero visibility, the running lights diffusing in the mist around the boat. On watch, we sat at the chart table watching the AIS and radar displays for ships nearby. At one point we ran between two large ships that we never even saw. They each passed about 4 miles from us.

Once the fog lifted, the day was beautiful. We continue to motorsail whenever possible to conserve fuel. We headed for Three Point Bank. This is a seamount that rises from depths of around 2000 to 3000 feet up to 150 in spots. Our hope was that as we dragged our handlines behind the boat a yellowtail tuna would volunteer to be our food for the next several days. Apparently, the fish had other plans so we kept going. However, we were treated to a gorgeous sunset complete with green flash.

Comments