An Altere Adventure

Lazy Day Motoring and Motorsailing

After John and I sorted out sailing gear, we began slowly motorsailing south. We had some push from the wind during the night, but not enough to keep us moving at the pace we were trying to set for ourselves. We are trying to average about 4 and a half knots to get to Cabo in time for Andrew to have a few beers and margaritas before his plane leaves.

It was very quiet during my midnight to 2 am watch after we got the foredeck sorted out. I have been using some of that time to listen to Pimsleur Spanish lessons. It is perfect because everyone else on the boat is asleep and I can talk back to my iPhone to my heart's content. I have also started spending a little time with my book Spanish for Cruisers. It has vocabulary for things like "Port" (babor) and "Starboard" (estribor) and many other useful words for docking and marine services. I still have a tremendous learning curve ahead of me. Anyway, nighttime is a great time to listen to books and Spanish lessons.

When the sun rose, there was almost no wind. What little there was came from behind at roughly the same speed as the boat or a bit faster, meaning that the jib would fill and collapse. We rolled it up part way to keep it from chafing on the shrouds and centered the mainsail, using it for stability rather than to push the boat.

The day went on like this, the three of us lounging around the cockpit discussing various topics. We were somewhat glad to be in a sort of news blackout. Andrew and I both admit to being news junkies, and it is nice to be going "cold turkey" from it.

We ate some of our tuna for lunch, John cooking it this time with butter, garlic, and pepper. We stuffed tortillas with it along with avocado and tomato. Delicious! We made a buffet in the cockpit and sat in the sun sipping beer and eating this delightful meal.

We had a long lazy afternoon. The only real work that got done was to transfer some diesel fuel from a jerry jug to the main tank. I have a siphon system that I am getting better at using. Each time I end up getting less diesel in my mouth and cleaning up less at the end. After much experimentation, I have found a technique that works well.

Our evening guest chef was Andrew. He combined a masala simmer sauce with apples, fresh tuna, and garlic on a bed of brown rice with a Mexican cheese on top. Outstanding fusion food!

We motored on through the night and by morning the sea was smooth save for the long ocean swells passing beneath us. A solitary porpoise came to look at us as the sun threatened to breach the horizon. A bit of breeze came up from behind causing me to unfurl the jib once more, but it was yet another tease.

Comments