An Altere Adventure

18 January 2018: A Lazy Day Gets Exciting

We motored on through the night and by morning the sea was smooth save for the long ocean swells passing beneath us. A solitary porpoise came to look at us as the sun threatened to breach the horizon. A bit of breeze came up from behind causing me to unfurl the jib once more, but it was yet another tease.

We motored slowly, attempting to conserve fuel. We were passed several times by whales. At one point we saw seals feeding with scavenger birds following along to pick up any of their scraps.

A lazy lunch of quesadillas topped by avocado and tomato in the cockpit was a delight.

Eventually, in the afternoon, the wind started to pick up from the starboard quarter. I had been wanting to try out the spinnaker so we began to sort through the boat looking for sheets, blocks, and the actual spinnaker which I had hidden away under my bunk. We got it up and drawing nicely and our speed increased. We sailed with it until just after the sun went below the horizon. My crew swore that they saw the green flash, but failed to get it on video. I missed it, because someone had to sail the boat....

We took the spinnaker down as the wind appeared to be freshening. We were also starting to be concerned about two cruise ships that were heading our way. Although they were still over 30 miles out, the AIS was telling us that they would pass very close to us. We were moving south at 4-5 knots and they were coming north at 20, so we were closing relatively quickly. They are big and we are small. At 4-5 knots we have trouble getting out of their way. Thankfully the instruments, AIS and radar allowed us to track them well ahead. We headed up significantly and they passed to port and behind. They seemed out of place here miles off the Mexican coast where everything was dark and quiet. Then they arrive looking as if someone had transplanted a large, very brightly lit, urban hotel into the ocean. One could not discern their navigation lights from all of the other lights on these ships.

We sailed on in lighter breezes, Wally in control.

Comments