Sailing Altona South

30 January 2013 | Lucaya, Grand Bahama
30 May 2012 | Exumas & Berry Islands
26 May 2012 | Provo & West Caicos
30 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
29 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
22 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
19 April 2012 | Fajardo to Boqueron
10 March 2012 | Puerto Rico and Culebra
21 February 2012 | 18 28.27'N:64 32.12'W
12 February 2012 | British Virgin Islands
11 February 2012 | Cruz Bay, Caneel Bay, Maho Bay, Waterlemon Bay, Hansen Bay, Lameshure Bay, Rendezvous Bay, Cruz Bay
10 February 2012 | Caneel Bay, St. John's
01 February 2012 | Maho Bay, St. John's, USVI
23 January 2012 | Culebrita to Charlotte Amalie
17 January 2012 | Isla de Culebra
10 January 2012 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
30 December 2011 | West Bay
26 December 2011 | Andros

Puerto Rico South Coast

19 April 2012 | Fajardo to Boqueron
It’s been a while since my last update, but life has been busy. After a month spent with family in Chicago while Ralph lived aboard in Culebra, I returned “home” to Altona in San Juan mid April. After the usual provisioning run, we scurried rapidly to Boqueron in the west end of the island.

The highlight of the south coast sail along Puerto Rico was the company that visited Altona in the anchorage at Puerto Patilla… a family of manatees. At least 4 of them spent a leisurely 15 minutes or so swimming under and around our hull, checking us out, and it was wonderful! I was tempted to grab my snorkel and submerge to swim with them, but was afraid I’d scare them away. It was a wonderful experience, though, even from the deck. What marvellously curious and gentle mammals these are, and they seemed to have a white juvenile with them, which I’d never seen before.

The south coast is lush, mountainous, and beautiful. We stopped briefly in Ponce, but the anchorage was really noisy, with revelry from the bars clearly audible well into the early hours of the morning. I was desperate for some peace and quiet, so we didn’t stay to do any sightseeing.

Boqueron, a west end staging area, is a nice tourist town with a pretty waterfront and a lot of young travellers. Apparently it’s a spring break destination for students, with the requisite number of bars and friendly places to eat, but the noise seemed to stop at a reasonable hour. The beach is gorgeous and the downtown waterfront is lined with shops and food stalls, with piles of oysters and clams. The bay is spacious but adequately protected from every direction except west, which was fine as the prevailing winds are from the east and we enjoyed some marvellous sunsets. We met the crew of Windy Liz, Gail and Ray, and decided to make the crossing to the Dominican Republic together. The crossing was uneventful, although we did have to motor sail part of it due to light winds. We sailed into Samana Bay in the Dominican Republic and dropped anchor in Santa Barbara de Samana, commonly known simply as Samana. Total time: 23 hours of smooth sailing, excellent for a 151 mile nautical mile crossing (with a little help from the iron sail.)
Comments
Vessel Name: Altona
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario
Crew: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
About: When not aboard Altona, Ralph & Wendy live in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Cruise 1 was 2009-2010 from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas and back to the Chesapeake Bay. Cruise 2 was 2011-2012 from Deltaville VA through the Caribbean to the BVI and back to Florida. Cruise 3 is underway!
Extra: To view photos of our first trip to the Bahamas, see Wendy's albums at https://picasaweb.google.com/Sailingaltona Cruise 2 goal: The Caribbean! (Mission accomplished) Cruise 3 goal: We're taking it as it comes. "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." Lao Tzu

SV Altona, 1981 Tartan37

Who: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario