Sailing Altona South

30 January 2013 | Lucaya, Grand Bahama
30 May 2012 | Exumas & Berry Islands
26 May 2012 | Provo & West Caicos
30 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
29 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
22 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
19 April 2012 | Fajardo to Boqueron
10 March 2012 | Puerto Rico and Culebra
21 February 2012 | 18 28.27'N:64 32.12'W
12 February 2012 | British Virgin Islands
11 February 2012 | Cruz Bay, Caneel Bay, Maho Bay, Waterlemon Bay, Hansen Bay, Lameshure Bay, Rendezvous Bay, Cruz Bay
10 February 2012 | Caneel Bay, St. John's
01 February 2012 | Maho Bay, St. John's, USVI
23 January 2012 | Culebrita to Charlotte Amalie
17 January 2012 | Isla de Culebra
10 January 2012 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
30 December 2011 | West Bay
26 December 2011 | Andros

Samana

22 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
Samana is a beautiful big bay on the east coast of the Dominican Republic, and Santa Barbara de Samana (aka Samana) is a lovely a town with just the right balance of amenities, tourism, and colourful local flavour. Top 10 things we've discovered about the DR: 1) The people are wonderfully friendly and helpful. They love to laugh, dance, and play their music loudly. 2) The food is great, eating out is cheap, and fresh fruit from the market delicious. 3) Samana is a clean, busy, industrious town where you can find just about anything you need, and what you can't find someone will get for you. 4) Local products are very reasonable. 5) Tipping is customary and expected and there are lots of people just waiting to help you with everything. 6) The highest mountains in the Caribbean provide a beautiful backdrop to Samana, and excursions inland are well worth the effort. 7) Whale watching is huge here, but unfortunately we just missed the season. The whales went north without us. 8) Licensed tour guides will be waiting for you at the Samana dock. They speak English and have local knowledge that's well worth the modest fee/tip. 9) Side by side with cellphones, satellite dishes and motorcycles, you see ancient methods of fishing and farming, and labour saving devices are the exception rather than the norm. 10) We need to learn some basic Spanish. Most locals don't speak English, but they're delighted with our pathetic efforts to make ourselves understood.

The harbour in Santa Barbara is relatively protected but can be subject to moderate swells. They usually die down at night, so sleeping isn't a problem. The waterfront is lovely, and the view out towards the bay always interesting: there are lots of boats coming and going (even though the tourist season is past its peak), there are picturesque rock formations and the Bridge to Nowhere with local kids jumping off from an unbelievable height. There's an election next month, and the music is always blaring from the trucks and buses advertising for one candidate or the other. We spent a week here and visited the market almost every day. I could have eaten nothing but sweet, juicy pineapple every day, and the bananas were loaded with flavour.

Our guide and translator, Chito (aka Martin), was invaluable. He took us around town the first morning: dentist for Wendy's broken tooth, barbershop for Ralph, money exchange, and the market for the best produce. The town is absolutely hopping with activity all the time: noise, music, motorcycles by the hundreds, baseball, boats, colours, kids. It's wonderful!

Our trip to the waterfall and plantation with Gail and Ray was a great day. Chito's friend John owns and drives the van that took us into the mountains, past the reservoir, and onto a very rough road. We stopped at Gina's plantation where Chito toured us around and showed us all the fruit, coffee and chocolate trees. Gina also has an open air shop with local crafts and jewellery, again at very reasonable prices. Much better than in town, and the buffet lunch she served us was delicious!

The final destination, Lulu Falls, was an easy walk, pretty, and it was nice to have a swim in fresh water under the falls. Unfortunately, we had to rush off a little early due to an unexpected tropical downfall which can make the road impassable if you wait too long. (The plus is that we finally used the rain catcher I made and it didn't take long to top up Altona's water tank with 45 gallons of water.) Next time, Chito and John will take us to the BIG falls by van and horseback. Or maybe we'll hike it. Either way, it'll be another terrific day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Altona
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario
Crew: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
About: When not aboard Altona, Ralph & Wendy live in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Cruise 1 was 2009-2010 from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas and back to the Chesapeake Bay. Cruise 2 was 2011-2012 from Deltaville VA through the Caribbean to the BVI and back to Florida. Cruise 3 is underway!
Extra: To view photos of our first trip to the Bahamas, see Wendy's albums at https://picasaweb.google.com/Sailingaltona Cruise 2 goal: The Caribbean! (Mission accomplished) Cruise 3 goal: We're taking it as it comes. "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." Lao Tzu

SV Altona, 1981 Tartan37

Who: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario