Sailing Altona South

30 January 2013 | Lucaya, Grand Bahama
30 May 2012 | Exumas & Berry Islands
26 May 2012 | Provo & West Caicos
30 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
29 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
22 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
19 April 2012 | Fajardo to Boqueron
10 March 2012 | Puerto Rico and Culebra
21 February 2012 | 18 28.27'N:64 32.12'W
12 February 2012 | British Virgin Islands
11 February 2012 | Cruz Bay, Caneel Bay, Maho Bay, Waterlemon Bay, Hansen Bay, Lameshure Bay, Rendezvous Bay, Cruz Bay
10 February 2012 | Caneel Bay, St. John's
01 February 2012 | Maho Bay, St. John's, USVI
23 January 2012 | Culebrita to Charlotte Amalie
17 January 2012 | Isla de Culebra
10 January 2012 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
30 December 2011 | West Bay
26 December 2011 | Andros

Virgin Gorda: The Baths and Gorda Sound

21 February 2012 | 18 28.27'N:64 32.12'W
The Baths at Virgin Gorda were amazing, and hundreds of boats were moored and anchored offshore, lined up from the moorings at the Baths and then anchored all the way up to the north end of St.Thomas Bay. There's a dinghy line set just offshore, so we anchored, dinghied over, tied up the dinghy and then swam to shore. There's a hiking trail from The Baths to Devil's Bay, and it's spectacular. There are crazy caves created by humungous granite boulders on land and along the shore. The boulders are all sizes and shapes, completely smooth except for unusual pits and markings, and the coloured strata are fascinating. Really spectacular!

With wind again picking up and supposed to stay that way, we went up to Gorda Sound next. The Sound has a wealth of anchorages and we explored Eustatia Sound by dinghy, but unfortunately found it much too rough to go out to the reef and snorkel. Anchored most of the time in the lee of Prickly Pear Island, we walked around onshore at the Bitter End, and went over to Leverick Bay. I'd have to say that Gorda Sound is watersport heaven, and Hobie Cats are king. It brought back fond memories of my Hobie Cat sailing and windsurfing days, because those things just fly in these winds!! Mosquito Island is another interesting place in Gorda Sound. It's owned by Richard Branson, a British billionaire, adventurer, and conservationist I much admire. Apparently, he has plans to build a completely eco-friendly resort on the island.

The best thing about Gorda Sound is that I finally got a good picture of a Sea Turtle that came up to breathe a couple of meters away from the boat while we were anchored at Prickly Pear. It was awesome! I'd love to see one while snorkelling, but doubt I'll be that lucky so I was happy to have my photo at last.

After the Sound, it was back to St. Thomas Bay where we checked out Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbour and Spanish Town. We found a great, very reasonably priced grocery store for provisioning, but the anchorage is very open to swells. We were a little bit sad to leave Virgin Gorda, because it meant that we were now officially on our way back. Knowing we still have 3-4 months and the Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos and southern Bahamas to go helped to ease the pain.
Comments
Vessel Name: Altona
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario
Crew: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
About: When not aboard Altona, Ralph & Wendy live in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Cruise 1 was 2009-2010 from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas and back to the Chesapeake Bay. Cruise 2 was 2011-2012 from Deltaville VA through the Caribbean to the BVI and back to Florida. Cruise 3 is underway!
Extra: To view photos of our first trip to the Bahamas, see Wendy's albums at https://picasaweb.google.com/Sailingaltona Cruise 2 goal: The Caribbean! (Mission accomplished) Cruise 3 goal: We're taking it as it comes. "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." Lao Tzu

SV Altona, 1981 Tartan37

Who: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario