Sailing Altona South

30 January 2013 | Lucaya, Grand Bahama
30 May 2012 | Exumas & Berry Islands
26 May 2012 | Provo & West Caicos
30 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
29 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
22 April 2012 | Dominican Republic
19 April 2012 | Fajardo to Boqueron
10 March 2012 | Puerto Rico and Culebra
21 February 2012 | 18 28.27'N:64 32.12'W
12 February 2012 | British Virgin Islands
11 February 2012 | Cruz Bay, Caneel Bay, Maho Bay, Waterlemon Bay, Hansen Bay, Lameshure Bay, Rendezvous Bay, Cruz Bay
10 February 2012 | Caneel Bay, St. John's
01 February 2012 | Maho Bay, St. John's, USVI
23 January 2012 | Culebrita to Charlotte Amalie
17 January 2012 | Isla de Culebra
10 January 2012 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
30 December 2011 | West Bay
26 December 2011 | Andros

Cruise 3 Finally Begins

30 January 2013 | Lucaya, Grand Bahama
We’re finally in the Bahamas again! I say finally because we left Canada at the end of October, narrowly dodging Hurricane Sandy on our way south, and spent the rest of the fall trying to get out of Florida. Two months and two engine repairs later, the old Iron Genny is running like silk and a host of those “I’ve been meaning to get to it jobs” are done. Altona has a new sailcover and dodger (that’s the last dodger I’ll ever try to make!) and Ralph found and fixed the smelly head issue (1 little vent hose that wasn’t proper sanitation grade), hurray! Engine repair #1 completed, we scuttled south from Green Cove Springs to Lake Worth and had a calm and uneventful crossing of the Gulf Stream, if you count the engine unexpectedly spewing fluids from a variety of orifices uneventful. Darned if we didn’t have to shut down the Beast and actually sail, of all things. This slowed us down considerably and led to a bout of seasickness and a night spent dodging freighters outside Freeport. Once again, we blessed the AIS which enables us to identify ships, their speed, direction, and how likely they are to run us down. Ain’t technology grand! Finally: sleepless, brainless, groggy, soggy and minus the contents of my stomach, we staggered up the wharf at Grand Lucaya Marina and checked back in to the Bahamas. Lordy, but terra firma seemed anything but firm, and when I closed my eyes I’d swear the earth was moving!

On the advice of locals, we moved to Flamingo Bay Marina, where we’re stuck quite happily and voluntarily. Engine Repair #2 is done, the weather, and hopefully our luck with all things mechanical, has changed for the better, and we’re back on Bahamian time… no rush, no problem, mon. Ralph starts his days dinghying down to Unexso for coffee with the boys, a friend has loaned us a 25 year old jeep with a lot of character to get groceries and pick up guests at the airport, and our days present us with nothing more pressing than exploring the beach, pool, or hot tub at the resort across the road where we have full guest privileges. Life sure is sweet in the islands.
Comments
Vessel Name: Altona
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario
Crew: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
About: When not aboard Altona, Ralph & Wendy live in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Cruise 1 was 2009-2010 from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas and back to the Chesapeake Bay. Cruise 2 was 2011-2012 from Deltaville VA through the Caribbean to the BVI and back to Florida. Cruise 3 is underway!
Extra: To view photos of our first trip to the Bahamas, see Wendy's albums at https://picasaweb.google.com/Sailingaltona Cruise 2 goal: The Caribbean! (Mission accomplished) Cruise 3 goal: We're taking it as it comes. "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." Lao Tzu

SV Altona, 1981 Tartan37

Who: Ralph Stolberg & Wendy Hodgson
Port: Fifty Point Marina, Lake Ontario