s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Ogopsibudup has it all.

03 March 2010 | Ogopsibudup, San Blas
Mark
Wednesday 3 March. We left Nargana mid morning sailing N. The plan was to sail by Ogopsibudup and if it was deserted, go there. If there were other boats there, we would keep going to the Eastern Coco Banderas which would certainly not be deserted, but might have better snorkeling if we have to be with other boats anyway. (The guide really says very little about Ogopsibudup.) Well, it was deserted, so we swung in carefully avoiding a shoal the rises from 90' to 2'. The water was so calm that it was NOT breaking, making it very hard to spot. Finally one wave did break, revealing its position just as we were approaching. It was a bit unnerving to see breaking waves on a reef less than 100 yds. from were we sailing in 90' of water. After passing that obsitcal, it was clear sailing right up to the island. In fact, it remained deep (60'-80') until quite close. I was beginning to wonder if we would be able to anchor, when the depth jumped to 20'. We crept forward until we were over sand (still holding 20') and dropped the hook. By the time we had 100' out, we were back in 30', so we set the hook and then returned to the sandy area and dropped the kellet and bridle. There is so little wind that we will probably remain “anchored” by just the kellet, but if it blows, we have plenty of scope and a well dug in anchor. It is a technique we have been using a bit down here where the depths change so quickly. After we were settled, I donned fins and mask to swim the anchor and kellet. I was amazed to find a wonderland of soft and hard coral 20' below our boat. The anchor was well dug in and the kellet was doing its job, holding us on the edge of the sand. I returned to the boat and told Deb to get ready for a fantastic hookah right off the boat. Our dive was a bit different than most. It turns out we were anchored on a ridge of coral running diagonally away from the island. On the island side it dropped 5-10' to a sandy bottom and on the outside, it dropped to 80' or so. Strangely, the outside wall was not all the interesting. But the ridge itself was fantastic. It was so densely packed with hard and (mostly) soft coral that it was more like we were snorkeling above it (at 30' depth) rather than swimming on the bottom around and through the coral as we usually do. We followed the inside edge out until it ended in and abrupt drop. There we saw a pair of barrel sponges, each bigger than Deb. I wanted a picture of them so badly, but we were at about 40' by then and the camera is only good to 30' (which is why I didn't have it with me, I knew we would be deep.) We then swam back to the boat along the outside edge of the ridge. Along the way we saw a spotted drum that was the biggest we have ever seen and at 10-12” as big as they ever get. We also saw another fish that I swore was a 14” Sargent Major, but they are not supposed to get over 10” so I'm not sure. We couldn't find anything else in the book that was similar. After we got back to the boat, Deb was still game for more, so we followed the ridge N toward the point of the island. It got progressively shallower and we lost a lot of the soft coral and had a much more typical scene with hard coral on a sandy bottom that we could swim in and about. Quite different in each direction, but equally great. After lunch, we went ashore to beach comb. Because of the short distance and the issues with the broken motor mount on dink, we took a kayak in. The beach was powder soft and beautiful. Deb found several shells and seed pods, but I made the find of the entire trip – a Kuna mortar. This piece was carved from a tree and stood about 4' tall and was nearly 2' across. It was shaped roughly like a wine glass with the top hollowed about to a depth of about a foot to make a recess for threshing the rice. (We had seen one in use on Tigre.) It was mostly buried in sand, but I dug it out just out of curiosity. Deb insisted we bring it home, but how? The monster weighed a ton! Well, fortunately, it did float, though just barely. I pushed, swam, dragged it around the island to where the kayak was. We tied it to the kayak and paddled out to Always, dragging it behind. There, I tied a line around the base and Deb used the winch to lift it as I guided it up and over each step. Once we had it on deck, I walked it over the the cockpit and lowered it in with Deb keeping tension on the line. It fits just nicely on its side under the cockpit table. How we will get it out of the boat and up to the house is for the Indian workers at home to figure out. We had no sooner stowed the mortar than an ulu approached with Venancio, the Master Mola Maker. He had more than 100 molas for sale from $15 to $100. The work was incredible. Better than any we had seen. Although we had already bought plenty of molas, we had to buy some of his. We ended up buying two of the more expensive ones and he gave us a third, smaller, one. Shortly after he left, another ulu approached offering lobster. I queried about the prohibition on lobstering and was assured that these were caught yesterday before the ban went into effect, but that the lobster plane won't take them now. They were the liveliest day old lobsters I have ever seen, but I bought 7 nice big ones for $15, so who am I to complain? In the evening all the stars were out and the wind came back just enough to cool things off and make it perfect.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009