s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

What a difference a day makes!

12 March 2011 | San Blas Islands, Panama
Mark
Yesterday was cloudy and blustery all day. Today dawned crystal clear, beautiful blue sky with not a cloud. And it stayed that way. No morning cloudiness or shower, just beautiful sunshine all day. It was a perfect day for hookahing and the hookah must have thought so too as he worked perfectly all day. In the morning we went from the boat to the W end of the island, swimming the deep, outside of the reef first and then coming inside and doing the shallower part. The deep side was a sharp drop off, not really a wall, but very steep sand from ~20' to 50-60'. We stayed about in the middle, but wandered up and down as we saw something more interesting. It was superb. Lots of big coral and BIG fish. We saw a grouper that was easily 200#, also a 4' barracuda. Strangely, no angels. I also saw the strangest invertebrate I have ever seen – a seahare – look it up, that is how we identified it later. It looks like a relative of a conch that lost its shell! All green with tubular “horns” on the front and then another pair of some kind of projections and then a curled up body – very strange. We also ran into a shark sucker; no, not a remora, a shark sucker – look that up too. Of course, he thought he should hook on to one of us and it took quite a bit of thrashing about to convince him otherwise. We were in fairly shallow water at that point and we finally swam in to even shallower water and stood up until he lost interest and went away. Those things can really be a nuisance! Anyway, after the dive we swam back to the boat and tied hookah off to the stern swim ladder while we had lunch and rested a bit. Then back to do the E end. The original plan, since the E end was larger, was to swim along the outside as before and then short cut across the sand to come back – not real interesting, but a lot less swimming. It turns out the E end goes on forever. From the surface you can clearly see the shallow reef section, but what you can't see is that at about 20-30' it levels off and just keeps going – big clumps of reef on a sandy bottom. We saw another huge fish – I think it was a black grouper as it was at least 4' long and 200+# and there aren't many reef fish that get that big, but Deb thinks it was some kind of snapper. If so, it was far and away the largest snapper I have ever seen. It wasn't too interested in letting us get too close so we only saw it from some distance. We did, however, get up close and personal with a couple squid. These two were by themselves (they usually school) and seemed uninterested in us, but also unafraid. We got within 4-5' without swimming hard. Lots of other cool fish and coral – many baby trunk fish only 2” long. Finally I surfaced to see where we were and we were about half way to the other island! We turned back towards “our” island and continued into the shallower water. It turned out that the sand was really shallow, too shallow to swim comfortably. We were both still feeling fine, so we turned to swim back around the outside at the upper level – 10-20'. Unfortunately the wind was blowing that way and hookah got hung up on the breaking reef. I swam back for a better angle and pulled it off with no damage and then kept a short leash on him until we were around the corner where he could stream back away from the reef. At the shallower depth, the colors were more brilliant, but there were not the fantastic coral formations. Still, pretty darn nice. Back at the boat we relaxed with a new drink Deb named “Ginger Breeze.” The geek cookbook had a recipe for ginger soda (which turned out to be essentially weaker ginger beer) and I made some using the dregs of a couple of homebrews for the yeast. Ginger beer + dark rum = “Dark & Stormy” the national drink of Bermuda. Ginger soda + amber rum = Ginger Breeze. Not bad at all, but next time I will make the ginger beer much stronger of ginger. As a side benefit, the ginger that I used to make the soda, when dried is like candied ginger but with a real bite – WOW! This is a great place and we could stay here for a week or more easily, but there are several more places we want to go so tomorrow we will probably pick up and move again. All the distances here are short, so “moving” is more of a 1-2 hour rather than an all day affair.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009