s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Shopping

29 March 2012 | San Andres, Columbia, SA
Mark
Wednesday, March 28. Deb should really be writing this blog, but I have not been able to prod her into it, so maybe she will add something later. When I got up (I don't get up at dawn, I get up when the sky – through the hatch above my head – turns from gray to blue. That is usually between 0630 and 0700.) Anyway, when I got up, I saw a USCG cutter coming up the channel. It cruised around a little bit (somewhat limited by its draft) and then docked in the same general area that the Columbian war ship had been. It's amazing how small the cutter looks next to the big cargo ships. Rene has arranged to return our laundry about 1000, all nicely washed and folded, a double load for $20 US – not cheap, but reasonable. Shortly after that, Craig took Liz & Deb in and dropped them at Nene's to go shopping for the day. They had a handheld VHF to call when they returned. I spent the morning (and part of the afternoon) fighting with the computer trying to get Skype for Windows installed. The Airmail program that we use for email over SSB, all the navigation programs, and even the booster antenna we have need Windows, so I reluctantly have set up this computer with Windows XP, the only decent version of Windows. For whatever reason, I could not get Skype to install nor would Flash Player. I did all the updates for Windows, ran diagnostics, and finally I installed (successfully) older version of both Flash and Skype. Flash did an auto update to the newest version that worked (go figure). Skype works fine and the version I have is only a few months old so I will stick with that. While I was doing this, I also made a couple loaves of bread. After lunch, Craig came over in the dinghy and we went out to check out the anchorage by Rose Island as a possible staging point for our departure to avoid having to run the whole channel in the dark. The buoys are all lit, but that almost makes it worse as they all flash on different intervals and it is hard to judge the order. I took my handheld GPS and we ran down to the #6 buoy, hung a left and ran towards the island, checking depths and plotting a track. It turns out we can get quite close to the island, very sheltered. We then explored some more, had a beer at The Regatta Bar & Restaurant, checked out some of the big oceanside hotels and marinas and wandered back to our boats. Bill from Orion had invited us for sundowners and so I made some more conch salad which is always a popular app. The women did not return from shopping until 4:00PM. Deb bought a San Andres bag and towel, a short for me and a dress for her, and some shoes. Only spent ~$180,000. At 1700 we went over to Orion. Craig & Liz from Salida were there and a couple from Reveler whose names I have already forgotten. We are the only cruisers left in San Andres at the moment. Reveler is leaving tomorrow, but Orion is staying for another week or two at least until Bill's wife returns from US. Bill gave us a tour of the ship, and “ship” she is. Orion is 70' on deck with another 8' of bowsprit. She is riveted steel and schooner rigged. She spins a 50” prop! Bulwarks are about 30” high and there is more deck space than you can figure what to do with. The interior is furnished mostly from Icea – leather sofas, normal table and chairs, full queen bed, standard 110V refrigerator, 52” TV, etc. We had a great time and once again skipped supper after all the apps. Maybe Deb will write about the shopping later.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009