s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Day 69, Vivarillos.

24 May 2012 | Vivarillos Cays, Honduras
Mark
Wednesday, May 23. By the time I relieved Deb at 0430, there was 9 kts apparent at 90*, enough that gennie would certainly help. And she did. I unrolled her and added 0.5 kts to our speed. It was still too dark and the radar showed too many storm cells to think of raising the main, but we motorsailed along at 6 kts until Deb got up again about 0700. by then the day was light and most of the clouds were to our East (we are headed SE), so we raised the main and turned off the engines. At first we were only going ~ 5kts, but that rather quickly built as the apparent wind increased. By the time it got to 18 kts apparent, we were making 8. At 19-20, I put in a reef and we continued in the 7.5-8.5 kt range for the rest of the morning. We hit 9 kts briefly, comfortable as can be, wind holding 18-19 @ 60* apparent (about 15 kts real wind). We passed Wet Bar who was motoring on only one engine after hitting something with his starboard prop during the night. The Vivarillos have protection from most angles except South, which is, of course the direction it was blowing. We worked our way well inside the reef and down to were we had at least some shelter from the reef and a tiny rocky outcropping that one could hardly call an island. It was certainly safe and even reasonably comfortable. We were anchored before noon. Windancer arrived about an hour later. Wet bar found his prop had one curled up blade, but thought he could pound it out under water without taking it off (using scuba). We took our dinghy in to a deserted little island that turned out to be a rookery for several varieties of gulls and turns. While Deb walked the island, I got the dink turned around on the sand so I could work on the engine. It wasn't peeing well. At idle there was no water at all coming out and at full throttle, the stream was still weak (but at least it wasn't steam!) I pulled off the intake and confirmed that nothing was blocking that – it wasn't. That meant it was almost surely the impeller and although I have spares for the Yanmar, I never thought to get a spare impeller for the Yamaha. Without an impeller, we have no outboard. Without an outboard, we are not going diving. The other two boats are leaving n the AM and I don't think I dare trust that the outboard will not die completely with no one around to rescue us. Thus, I guess we are leaving for the morning too and headed for Providencia where I am sure we can get it fixed. So much for diving the Vivarillos and Hobbies. This has been a frustrating trip for diving. What we have done has been fantastic, but what we have missed for one reason or another has been way too much. Well, we will still have Providencia and the Albuquerque Cays.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009