s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Cloudy days can be god, too

02 February 2013 | Isla Debora, Panama
Mark
The morning dawned with heavy overcast and drizzle. Unusual for Panama rally as we usually have RAIN or no rain. Wisps of clouds trailed through the mountains surrounding us and the Indian village, Buena Esperanza, was somehow illuminated sharply under the clouds. I got a photo that may make for a good painting. After breakfast, I donned mask and snorkel to inspect the new props after their maiden voyage and also clean off the paddle wheel so the knot meter would work. (I had forgotten to do that earlier so I had GPS speed over ground, but no speed through water and no apparent wind readings coming over. Since I am evaluating these new props, I wanted all the data possible.) There were about a billion jelly fish this morning! Many of them with testicles. (For those who don't know, that in Cynd-onese for tentacles. Our friend always warns swimmers to beware of jelly fish with testicles.) I managed to inspect both props and clean the paddle wheel without getting stung, but it was a bit worrisome. The props looked good - no loose parts and flopping freely from forward to reverse. It had started to rain harder so I was able to rinse off the salt by just standing on deck for a while. When the rain let up, we decided to head back to our island. We need to be there for Saturday anyway as Brent & Jan are having a party that afternoon. Initially there was little wind although the difference between GPS SOG and the knotmeter told me we had a falling tide with a slight lift in the direction we were headed. Nonetheless, when I firewalled the engines one at a time, I was able to get to 3200 rpm - not the 3600 Yanmar claims for a new engine, but these have 5000 hours on them and this was much better than with the old props. We were also making better than 6 kts on one engine. At cruising rpm we did a little over 5 kts which, considering how dirty the hull is, is quite good. As we motored through the cut between Dolphin Bay and Laguna Pallos, we picked up some wind and were able to sail with just gennie back to the island. By the time we reached the dock we had nearly 13 kts of wind on our starboard bow pushing us backwards and into the dock, but we maneuvered without difficulty and tied up easily. After lunch, we both spent most of the afternoon (which turned sunny) in the cockpit painting. I'm teaching Deb some techniques that she has not been shown and although it is sometimes difficult (I'm perhaps not the best teacher) she is doing really well. I'm still struggling to find the 'voice' I want, but we have fun anyway. A short swim, a couple of walkas around the island looking for any mangoes the oropendula haven't gotten to first (we found none without bites), and it was time for cocktails and dinner - barbecued chicken with beans & rice at Deb's request. Another great day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009