s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

San Blas at last

03 February 2010 | Porvenir, San Blas
Mark
Thursday, 4 February. In the morning we went into town and got a few last chance provisions, then went over to the old fort, San Fernando, dating from the 17th century. It was somewhat restored and just open to wander about. Fantastic views from the top battery of cannon. (We have pics to post someday when we get internet, but don't hold your breath.) About noon, we set sail for Isla Linton, “the best protected anchorage on the coast.” It was a boisterous sail in 20+ kt. Winds, but at least the angle was such that we could sail. When we got to Isla Linton, we found about 20 other boats already anchored there. We wandered around looking for something less than 30' to anchor and found none. Finally a friendly cruiser told us to forget finding shallow water and just anchor in the cover which was quiet and calm and 30' deep. We did, on the second try with 150' then the kellet, 25' and the bridle. Held securely and we had a great night.

Friday, 5 February. . Knowing we had nearly 50 miles to reach San Blas, we got up early, but really didn't have enough light to leave until 7:00. Since we were already 80% of the way through the cut between Isla Linton and Isla Grande, we just went out that way and saved about 2 miles. The first section was motor sailing into 15-20 kts., but then we were able to sail close hauled for the rest of the way to San Blas. We danced back and forth over the edge of Escenada banks where the bottom went from 130' to 30' and back and forth over a very narrow shelf, but could not scare up a fish. Finally we arrived at Isla Porvenir and on the third try found anchorage. The hook was in 20' but the boat was in 50'. We have nearly 200' of chain out plus the kellet. I feel secure. Ron & I went ashore to clear in, but it was after 4:00 and the imigration officer had left and was out swimming in the bay. We agreed that we would return manana, but as we approached the dink, the Immigration officer came out of the water and suggested that we clear in today as tomorrow was Saturday. He looked at our Zarpe, our cruising permit, and our pensionado cards and said we were all set and didn't need anything further. “NO CHARGE!” Back at the boat, Deb & Cindy had already been approached by Kuna and had purchased some molas. While Ron & I were trying out the inflatible kayaks that we brought, the women had more visitors and bought “tuna”, two fish, about 12” each and not fileted. Oh well, I got what meat there was from them and seared it for appetizers. It was good. Now that we are here, it will be less sailing and more exploring, snorkeling, swimming, etc.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009