s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Coral Gardens

20 March 2011 | San Blas Islands, Panama
Mark
It really is tough having to wait out “weather” behind an island like this. It was overcast with occasional squalls this morning, so I baked bread (sandwich bread is one thing we cannot get down here – Kuna bread is great tasting, but more sized like rolls than bread) and Deb made rice pudding. I pulled the air cleaner off the hookah and replaced the rusted out pin that operates the choke in anticipation of using it today. I had to drill out the old one, find a suitable sized replacement, bend it to fit, etc., but it works fine now. I had finished Lizza's novel so went back to “The Satanic Verses” - not bad company, Lizza! As usual, by noon we were getting more and more sunny patches, so we loaded hookah in the dinghy and went to shore. Hookah started on the first pull with the choke fixed. We launched from shore and saw out against a mild current. Even having snorkeled the area yesterday, I was not prepared for the underwater beauty we found. Coral gardens with every imaginable type of coral mixed in spread out in a gently sloping array from breaking to ~15' and then a wall, equally amazing, dropped another 10-15'. We saw some of the healthiest elkhorn and staghorn coral we have seen this trip. I ran into my friend the trigger fish from yesterday, we found a nurse shark snuggled into the sand in a cave. A large grouper took off when he saw us coming (probably why he got to be that large!) so we never got close to him. We saw several small lobster, but let them be other than tickling their antennae just to frighten them. Great variety of reef fish including a whole 'school' (I'm not sure they really are a schooling fish.) of what Deb originally thought were midnight parrotfish (very rare), but turned out to be unusually large creole wrasses when we looked them up in our book – very colorful with midnight blue body with lighter spots and a yellow/green area on the underside by the tail. The reef system went on to the end of the island and then abruptly turnded into just old dead reef as it extended towards the cut between islands. This seems very strange as usually the sides of cuts are the healthiest due to all the nutrients that rush through the cut. We didn't want to get into the current coming through the cut (it's still blowing 20-25) and it was boring anyway, so we turned back and crisscrossed over the coral going from breaking down to the wall and back as we slowly wended our way back to the beach. It was so beautiful I think we may have to do it again tomorrow. It was clouding up again by the time we got back to the boat, but we got our dive in the sun and we had enough sun to top up the batteries and run the watermaker so who's complaining? Baked stuffed lobster for dinner, gee this is hard.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009