s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Less excitement.

29 March 2011 | San Blas Islands, Panama
Mark
About 9:00 this morning Dave came by and said they were waiting for us at the travel lift. I warmed up the engines, cast off all but the bow line which I converted to a loop for Deb to control as we backed out of the slip, and so pulled out of the slip with no assistance, smooth as can be. We motored over to the travel lift, but there was not a sole in sight. We radioed for assistance but were informed that the yard was a different crew and Frank (the dock man with the radio) didn't deal with that part of things, but he would go check for us. Meanwhile we drifted and motored in circles and generally hung out trying not to drift into anything. Once we had to clear the alley for an incoming boat and then we circled some more. Finally, the travel lift operator arrived and we were good to go. The opening of the travel lift basin is about 30' wide and we are 23' – not a lot of clearance and there is a wind on our starboard beam, of course. As I eased her in, Deb threw first starboard and then port bow lines to waiting handlers, then starboard and port stern lines. With all four corners secured, we shut down the engines and they walked us in. Next the travel lift was positioned over us and the guy in charge went into the water himself to assure that the slings were in the best position. Then they lifted it slightly and moved to the forward edge of the basin for Deb & I to get off, then they lifted her up and out, pressure washed in slings, and then set her down blocking under the keels and jack-stands fore and aft. We are on the hard. While the yard workers sanded the hulls, Deb & I rode the bus into Colon. We were dropped at the Reys Supermarket at the Quatro Alto mall, a huge mall. Colon is not a safe place in general, but the mall is considered reasonably safe and that is why it is the drop point. We used the ATM inside to get cash and then I went outside to call the guy we were getting the bottom paint from. Except the phone said, “No SIM card.” But there WAS a SIM card. After several tries, I bough a new SIM card and new time – from different cashiers of course because the store that sells the SIM cards doesn't sell time cards – go figure. Finally the phone works again and I call the paint guy. He is out, but will call us back. While Deb buys groceries, I catch a cab into town to Panafrio – the local refrigeration store. The thermostat in our freezer had died (pressure tube broke) so I have been manually turning it off for 15 minutes every hour and otherwise letting it run. Worked so far. No one there spoke English, but I managed to buy a new thermostat and got one for the freezer and one for the refrigerator (it's the same age) as well. Another taxi back to Quatro Alto. The paint guy calls and delivers 5 gallons of Juton bottom paint (weighs a TON!) for $512. WE still have time left before the bus so I walk down the mall to the Ferriteria (hardware store) and buy rollers, etc. to apply the paint. When the bus arrives, we have gotten everything we need for less than half what the “Chandler” at the marina would have charged. By the time we get back, the yard guys have finished sanding the bottom, so I should be ready to start painting tomorrow, a day ahead of schedule. While we were waiting for the day to cool off, we retreated to the AC of the lounge and used the internet to call family, most of whom were still at work, but we did get to have good chats with my father, Deb's mother, and our daughter, Shary. The evening cooled off nicely and I think we will be just fine staying on the boat as long as we are reasonable about cooling off in the pool or the AC as needed during the heat of the day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009