s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

White Squall – not quite

01 September 2011 | Bocas del Toro, Panama
Mark
I had an “interesting” experience today. Have you ever broached in a power boat? Our panga did just that. Bill, my neighbor, and I had gone in to Bocas for a quick trip. The morning was nice and only partly cloudy, but satellite radar showed a large water vapor signature to our N that was supposed to bring afternoon thunderstorms. Somehow Bill and I missed each other and were both waiting for the other at different locations. The sky started to get black and we both had the good sense to head for the panga that was tied up at The Reef restaurant. “Looks like we are going to get wet,” I said as we cast off. Usually rain in Bocas, even squalls, are not accompanied by strong winds, so we weren't too worried. We could see the rain coming across the water towards us, “Here it comes,” said Bill. We were headed more or less Northeast and it was coming from the North. It hit with winds that were at least 30-40 kts. (I subsequently got word that a boat anchored nearby recorded the wind @ 44 kts.) The canvas top on our panga is a full length affair supported by inverted “U” shaped bows of 3/4” galvanized pipe that fit into tubes made into the side of the panga. It is secured by tie-down straps fore and aft. When the squall hit, the top acted just like a spinnaker. It rose so high that several of the pipes pulled out of there 6” deep sockets. I lost all control of the boat and she healed over dangerously. It was very different than anything I had experienced in a power boat. With more engine than I wanted to use, I was able to steer us directly into the wind. The top was still trying to fly, but it was no longer healing us. Conditions were a veritable white out. I continued this way until I could just make out that we had cleared the ferry (and not by much!); then, crossing my fingers, I spun us 180* to run with the wind until we could come around the point by Dos Palmas (a hotel we stayed at many times before our house was built) and into the lee of the island. There we found a newly built dock with slips for rent @ $100/mo. It was empty (at those prices, no wonder!) and since it was directly to windward, I approached it easily and we tied off to ride out the storm there. The top survived with just the stitching torn out on the aft most bow. I re-tightened the tie-downs while we waited. The bilge pump worked overtime. Eventually (maybe ½ hr.) the thunder and lightening past and the wind subsided, though it was still raining pretty hard. “I think it is time to go,” I said. Bill was not too sure, but several locals in cayugas began paddling across the bay so we decided it was OK. We still couldn't see Solarte through the rain, but I knew where it was (and had my GPS for back-up) so we took off into surprisingly flat seas. Even when we crossed the channel that opens to the Caribbean,there was little chop and only moderate swell. I remember experiencing a similar situation when we left the Dry Tortugas for Key West and were hit by a squall. It just blew the sea flat and was gone before it had a chance to develop new wind blown waves. We crossed the cut and hugged the shore of Solarte, staying in its lee, all the way home. When we got to Discovery Bay, there was a strange boat in “my” slip. I tied up elsewhere, checked the boat over and didn't recognize it, and headed up to the house. Half way up the path, we met the boat's owner. He and several passengers had been caught out in the squall and barely made it in to our bay to safety. They had tied up the boat and taken shelter in the Rudd's house which is still under construction and open. Bill got them towels to dry off and I made coffee to warm them. Deb said that the VHF had been buzzing with people caught by the squall. (I had the portable with me, but with the rain, wind, and engine noise, I never heard anything.) One woman had been in a cayuga that capsized and managed to use her cell phone to call for help before it drowned. The call went out on the VHF and she was, fortunately, found and is safe. A couple of small power boats (“pangas”) were capsized and sunk, several sail boats dragged anchor, but at this point no loss of life that we know of. As I am writing this, the wind has clocked around to the South and picked up dramatically as the tail of the storm is lashing us. Some are referring to it as a tornado, but no one has reported seeing any funnel cloud or spout. My guess is that it was just an unusually intense thunderstorm/squall. Probably not a true “white squall” but close to it. It sure was as much excitement as I ever want to have in our panga! It does make you wonder what we are doing to the planet when hurricanes devastate Vermont and a squall like this hits in Panama!
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009