s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Day 22. Santa Catalina.

07 April 2012 | Providencia, Columbia, SA
Mark
Friday, April 6. Yesterday we hiked about half way around St. Catalina; today we circumnavigated it. The six of us (Craig & Liz from Salida and George & Pixie from Silver Sea) took our dinghies out to Morgan's Head where we anchored in about 8' over white sand. I had all four lines on the hookah and George & Pixie were delighted to join us using it. Neither of them really had enough weight, but they refused to fuss with it and just went out and had a great time. Craig & Liz snorkeled. The coral was fantastic and it went on forever. Never deeper than 20' and rising to the surface, there were ridges and canyons, isolated heads, jumbles of different coral all together. And lots of reef fish. There were a couple of dinner sized snappers, but this is a preserve so I did not bring the spear gun. We spent more than an hour under water and when we returned to our dinghies, we left the hookah and snorkeled up to the many caves at the shore where the water had undercut the ledge. This was obviously where they “hid the loot.” Back in the dinghies, we continued around the island. It seemed like every few hundred yards we would find another spot that just demanded we come back and hookah. Big coral rising to the surface, white sandy bottom, caves along the shore and even a couple candy beaches for a picnic. We will need to make a day of it. Back at the boat, I noticed that the fresh water flush was not working on the watermaker. It is supposed to come on about 45 min after you turn it off (to allow the pressures to fall). I set a timer and kept checking, but it never came on. Of course, the pump is located under the port aft bunk, which is piled high with provisions. Deb moved things around and I got under and found the pump. Everything seemed OK, so I spliced a switch in to the line allowing me to turn the pump on manually. When I did, it just went “chunk” pause “chunk” pause, etc. Something was blocking it and it was shutting off by the pressure switch. I undid the outlet hose and had Deb switch it on and off quickly. Yup, pump works, made a big mess! So I changed the charcoal filter that is to remove any chlorine from the fresh water as that would destroy the membrane. When I installed the new filter and switched it on, it worked fine. Then I cycled the automatic function and it worked fine too. It was just a clogged filter. Problem solved. Hamburgers for supper followed by Key Lime pie. Tomorrow we go to the boat races. No idea what to expect. Last Saturday they had horse races (we were not here yet). It turned out to be two horses who raced across the beach for about two minutes, but everyone was betting and cheering, etc. Tomorrow might be sail boats or power boats (I'm betting on the latter) and Lord knows how long they will last, but I'm sure the outing (to the other side of Providencia) will be fun.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009