s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Day 53, Shallow & Deep.

08 May 2012 | French Cay Harbor, Roatan, Honduras, CA
Mark
Monday, May 7. Today was going to be a slow day. Deb had some cleaning she needed to do, but not much else. I decided to take dink over to the marine park that was right next to the boat and check it out. The area was only about waist deep over sand, but there was a ball there and we had seen dive boats take groups of snorkelers there, so I had to check it out. At first I couldn''t figure out what the big deal was. Sand, turtle grass, and rather boring coral – mostly that frilly leaf like coral that is so common in the shoals. And then I saw the lobster. At first just one or two, but then I found ledges with 10-12 under it. All sizes, up to 5 #. At one point I floated in one spot and counted 15 lobster in sight, and probably more back under the ledges further. They were also fairly bold, coming out of their ledge and waving their antennae about when I approached. (Lobsters can only see poorly so they depend on their antennae as their primary means of sensory input. As long as you avoid the antennae, you and get close enough to grab them.) since it was a park (with a big sign in Spanish and English announcing the 5000L fine) I couldn't take any, but I mentally grabbed them working my hand back over their carapace while avoiding the antennae. Then I'd give one antenna a tweak and watch them snap backwards, often crashing into the other lobster in the hole. I had never seen so many lobster in one place and never congregated like that. It was a fun snorkel and now I know why the boats go there. On the way back to the boat, I took dink out through the breakwater that creates the entrance channel for Coco Beach Resort and Fantasy Island, two up scale dive resorts. There were balls marked with dive flags in the deep water by the entrance. Back at the boat, I inquired over VHF about being able to use the balls and was told it was fine as long as a dive boat wasn't on it, but I should wait until the dive boats went out, either at 9:00 or 2:30. At 2:30 we took the hookah to the empty ball. It was a deep dive. Right off the ball, the wall dropped to ~100'. We could see the bottom directly below us, but looking at any angle all you could see was the deep blue of infinity. We dropped to about 40' and worked our way out the wall going up and down as the topography (or fish) suggested. The wall was covered with an amazing array of soft coral and sponges. Strangely, most of the fish we saw were tiny – inhabiting the sponges mostly. A few big chub, but very few pelagic fish. After following the wall out a ways, we rose to the top of the wall (10-15' mostly with occasional breakers) to swim back. I had not really planned a dive profile, but below 30' out and above 15' back should be fine. It is hard (but NOT impossible) to get in trouble with the hookah as you are limited to 60' and really anything much more than 50' puts an awkward pull on the hose. When we got back to the dink, Deb wanted to go see the lobster, so we zoomed over to the park and went from 100' to 3', just snorkeling this time. By the time we got done playing with the lobster, it was 5:00 and Salida was having a happy hour in the water floating behind their boat to fight the hot day (temp in the 90's today). We stopped at Always to get some wine and then joined them along with Silver Sea and Wet Bar. Tomorrow Craig & Liz want to go with us on a deep dive so I'll hook up the extra hoses. Back at our boat, I made blackened grouper for dinner from the filets I had bought from a local fisherman who stopped by that morning. Nothing like fresh grouper, especially since I couldn't get my own lobster or conch. Tomorrow Pixie is taking the ferry to La Ceiba on the mainland to see a dermatologist about a lesion on her nose (I recommended she do it.) and we said we would wait here and then probably the three boats will sail together down to West End. As long as this mild weather holds, we can use the hookah on the outside of the reef. Great.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009